[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot Pro Causing Server Instability

It would appear that Snapshot Pro is causing some server instability on one of my installs. I am receiving downtime notifications every couple hours for this server, but it has no issues when Snapshot Pro is disabled.

This is the same install that is the subject of another ticket (for Snapshot Pro, but for a different problem):
https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/snapshots-are-successfully-created-but-not-uploaded-to-s3-compatible-storage#post-1367754

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Zyniker,

I checked your website, checked the system info and made some observations.

1. Did you notice any error message when the site was down? If yes, can you help me with the exact error? A screenshot can also help here.
    2. Your maximum execution seems to be zero or not set. Can you set the maximum execution time by editing the "php.ini" file?

You can do this by pasting the following line in the php.ini file which is placed in the root directory of your WordPress installation:
    max_execution_time=120

If you do not find the php.ini file, you can create a php.ini file by logging in to your server using FTP/ Cpanel. Here is the step by step procedure to create a php.ini file:

1. Log in to your server using FTP/ Cpanel/ Plesk
    2. Navigate to the public_html directory and check if you can find the php.ini file here.
    3. If you see the file, download the file and keep it safe in a different location as a backup and then proceed to edit that file, but if you do not find it, you can go forward and create a new file and name it php.ini.
    4. Refresh the directory, then edit the newly created file and add the line stated in my earlier reply.
    5. Save the file and then upload the freshly edited file.

If that doesn't work, the easiest way to figure out where the problem lies is to check your website's error_log (many shared web hosts often do not enable full error logging, though). To find out more, you can enable WP_DEBUG and check for error logs. Open up your wp-config.php file, and locate the following line of code:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Replace the above code with the code given below.
    If you do not spot the above line of code, add the code below above the "That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. " comment and then save the changes made.

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    @ini_set( 'log_errors', 1 );
    // Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors', 0);

You can now go ahead and try replicating the error. Once you reproduce it, you would spot the errors in the debug.log file which can be found in wp-contents folder. Please download the file and rename it to debug.txt and send it to us by attaching it in your next reply.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

I didn't notice any relevant information in the server error logs. I've enabled WordPress error logging to see if that shows anything. The max_execution_time is set to 60s on this hosting provider. Doesn't Snapshot Pro batch things to avoid taking too long to execute?

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

I sent the log to support via chat. Let me know if you did not receive it.

I have additional information: It seems the instability is caused when the backup runs for the primary site, at least judging from the uploads directory (which contains daily snapshots for several subsites, but not for the primary site).

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Zyniker,

I hope you are doing great today. It took me a bit longer to check the file.

I want to take a closer look at the site. For this, I would need your site access & FTP access to the server. As this is a public forum, you must send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Prathamesh"

- FTP credentials (host/username/password/path of site in question)
    - cPanel/Plesk credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference

Please reply in the thread here once you send the credentials using the secure form.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Zyniker,

I received the access you sent across but I'm afraid it does not seem to work.
    Can you recheck the access again and send it back to us on the same link as in my previous reply?

I see your Support access has expired. Kindly add in your WordPress credentials in that form while sending it to us and post back in the thread once you have sent us the access in the secure form.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

• Prathamesh Palve
    • Staff

Hello Zyniker,

It took a bit longer for me to get back to you here. I went ahead and performed the following actions.

1. Enabling Uptime monitor in Hummingbird Pro
    2. Creating Manual local Snapshot backup
    3. Checking Debug Log
    4. Turning Debug Log On/Off

I was unable to spot any downtime before, during or after the backup process. Also, the site seems to be functioning well.

Snapshot is currently enabled and working. Can you check if you get any downtime messages?
    I did not spot any downtime which related to the timings snapshot backups were in progress.

There is also a possibility of some temporary issue on your server end as I see some 500 internal server errors in the uptime monitor. Can you ask about this to your hosting provider once as they would be able to troubleshoot this on their end real quick if there is some issue from their end?

After checking the site debug log, I noticed some php warning relating to two different plugins of which one is ours "Custom Google Search". I want to go ahead and perform some tests on your site. Can you manage to take a full site backup on your end, take this site to a staging server for us to test or allow us to perform a plugin conflict test on the live site?

The plugin test would involve enabling and disabling the plugins to test what is exactly conflicting.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Prathamesh

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.