[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot Pro is stuck

Dear support team,

I’m trying to create a dump of my multisite, but it gets stuck at 78% for an “unknown error”.

I’ve tried several times.

https://www.defi-ecologique.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=snapshot_pro_snapshots&snapshot-action=new&snapshot-noonce-field=00ce804e8e

You should still have admin credentials from a previous ticket, and I’ve also enable the support access.

Could you please help me solve this ?

Regards,

Greg

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Greg

I hope you’re fine today!

I did some tests on that backup and it always breaks on “media’ files which, basically, means the /wp-content/uploads folder.

If you take a look at your “Snapshot -> Snapshots” page you’ll noticed that there are two Snapshots that are complete now: one includes database only and one includes only files except for media files.

These two are fine. The third one, which is supposed to contain only “media” files, breaks. This usually means that there’s that many files or some of them are that big that it causes server to reach resource limits, namely (in most cases) I/O limit, which is a limit on file read/write operations speed.

If you look into that “media only” snapshot configuration you’ll notice that I tried to exclude some folders for testing purposes. I’m not much familiar with the content of your site though so I’m not sure what else I could safely exclude. By “safely” I mean files/folders that are possible “left overs” or some “backup copies” or can easily be “regenerated” in other way.

That said, could you please try excluding the biggest files/folders from that “media only” snapshot – those that you’re aware of and you know they are not that “critical” to the site? Do this just for testing to see if that will let at some point this snapshot complete and if yes – we could then take a closer look at those specific, excluded folders/files to see why they are breaking the process and if it could be fixed.

Give it a try, please, and let me know about results here.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your feedback.

Do you think it could be best to have a snapshot of everything but the media folder, and then move them manually through FTP ?

Is there a way, in filezilla for instance, to identify the biggest files and subfolders ?

I have many media files, but there are mostly pictures and PDFs.

Regards,

Greg

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Greg

Hope you are doing well.

I’m afraid using FileZilla you don’t have such a feature.

I see on some forums users adding the files on download queue and then checking from this queue. But I can’t see this as an efficient way. I would suggest using the SSH if you have this access.

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-largest-file-in-directory-recursively-using-find-du/

About Snapshot, yes, you can use the regular Snapshot and split it into two backups, Database + Plugins, and Media library, or just backup the media library and restore using FileZilla.

However, keep in mind the Snapshot isn’t a migration plugin, if you would like to create a copy of your network I would suggest using our Shipper plugin instead.

Best Regards

Patrick Freitas

• Greg
      • Syntax Hero

Dear Patrick,

Thank you for your help.

I’ve tried to use Shopper Pro, but I don’t understand how it works.

I’ve got the public website hosted on WPX Hosting, to which my DNS are currently pointing to.

On my new host (Infomaniaks), I’ve set up a new website with the same name (defi-ecologique.com). My goal is to import the website there, and once I’ve double-checked everything to change DNS so that they point to the new host.

However, on shipper, I can only import my website above another existing one. On the dropdown menu, I can’t see defi-ecologique.com and if I did, I wouldn’t be able to identify if it is the one hosted on WPX or the one hosted on Infomaniaks.

I have several websites to migrate and I intend to proceed in a similar fashion.

https://www.defi-ecologique.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=shipper&type=export

Regards,
      Greg

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Greg

The process is like that:

1) make sure that WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin is installed, enabled and logged in into your WPMU DEV account on the “Source” site; install and activate Shipper Pro on that site too

2) the site you want to migrate to must be up and “accessible”; obviously you cannot use the very same domain for two separate sites so that new site (that’ll be a target site) must be available under some other/temporary address;

3) make sure that WPMU DEV Dashbaord plugin is also installed, enabled and logged in into your WPMU DEV account on the “Desitnation” site; Shipper must be installed and enabled there as well

So once you got both sites avilable on the web, both are connected to The Hub (via WPMU DEV Dashboard) and both have Shipper active you then should see them both on that drop-down list. If you try to start “Export” migration from the “Source” site, you should be able to see your new “destination” site there – the name doesn’t really matter, you would see its address rather than name so you could recognize each.

Basically, you need both these sites (the one you want to migrate and the one you want to migrate to) connected to The Hub by having WPMU DEV Dashboard installed, enabled and logged in to the same account of yours and both should have Shipper Pro plugin installed and enabled.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Greg,

As Adam told above, the site you want to migrate to must be up and “accessible”; obviously you cannot use the very same domain for two separate sites so that new site (that’ll be a target site) must be available under some other/temporary address.

Shipper Pro is a real-time migration software. That means, it doesn’t take a backup, then ask you to download the backup, then upload the backup and then restore. Rather, it transfers file from one location to another in real time and saves hassle for you. That’s why both the target site and the source site must be accessible at the same time. As a single domain can’t be up from two different servers at the same time, you will need to have another domain (can be a temporary one) to migrating with shipper. When you are done migrating, you can then change the domain in your target location.

Please let us know if you still have any confusion. We will be very glad to assist further.

Regards,
    Rupok

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.