[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot pro – manual snapshot not backing up multisite install DB and files fully

Our website is a multisite install. On using Snapshot pro to create manual backup via

/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=snapshot_pro_snapshots&snapshot-action=new

The only DB tables stored are the top level ones with the prefix wp_1 none of the other blog tables are backed up. Similarly for files wp-content/blogs.dir *only* contains a directory for '1' whereas on our WP install there are also several other blog number directories which don't appear in the zip backup.

'Files' is set to

'Include common files: themes, plugins, media (wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files)' I've looked at the 'Only include selected files' but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to select a directory that includes *all* the blogs.dir contents.

For 'Database' we have 'Include all database tables' selected our full WP DB has a few hundred tables but only the ones with 'wp_1' are being backed up into .sql files

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello team9

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

That’s a proper behavior. The Snapshot Pro plugin contains two backup tools which are “Snapshots” and “Managed Backups”. While on a regular single both can be used to create a full backup, on a Multisite that’s slightly different:

A “Managed Backup” tool will always create a full backup of entire install, there’s even no choice of what to backup. That backup will also be pushed to our cloud for secure off-site storage.

A “Snapshots” tool cannot create such backup and instead it creates backups of selected (sub) sites. When you create a new “snapshot” there’s an option to select which site should be archived and only that one will be processed. Therefore, if you wish to backup entire Multisite that way, you will need to create multiple snapshots – one for the main site and one per each sub-site.

A “Managed Backup”, however, would automatically backup entire Multisite install.

If you have any additional questions on this, let me know please and I’ll be happy to respond.

Kind regards,

Adam

• team9
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for explaining your meaning but from a user point of view that's pretty horrible.

Really not what was expected from:

"Create scheduled and on-demand backups of your entire Multisite network."

There was no expectation that we'd have to do manually backup many multiple blogs *separately* if we want to take a on-demand snapshot of an *entire* multisite install.

Maybe consider rewording your blurbs to make that restriction clear or consider this a feature request to get a full on-demand backup of a multi-site install *easily* instead.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello team9

You can actually create “scheduled” and “on-demand” backups of entire Multisite. A “Managed Backup” feature of Snapshot (it’s an integral part of it) does that and it can be run both “once off” manually and scheduled.

The “Snapshot” tool of “snapshots” can also be run either “once off” or scheduled and it can backup entire multisite but in a different way and requires a different configuration (creating separate snapshots for each sub-site, but if you set schedule you need to do it only once).

So, technically speaking, it does exactly what it says. However, thanks to your response, I can now understand how Snapshot’s “marketing copy” can be perceived as misleading or confusing. I’m one of the tech guys here so I can’t change it but I will certainly pass that to our writers so they could “re-factor” the message there to make it very clear, to avoid further confusion. I’ll forward your feedback to them so they could take care of it.

Thank you for pointing that out and I apologize for causing confusion!

Kind regards,

Adam

• michael_culp
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So I have a related issue. I have a website that has a number of manually added folders/directories that are NOT in the wordpress database that are not being picked up. Is there a way for snapshot Pro to backup the other folders or do i need to use a competing product for this? I’m tryign to stay in the WPMU eco systems as much as possible

• Predrag Dubajic
      • Support

Hi Michael,

Regular Snapshot will not be able to include those folders in backups as it doesn’t backup entire WordPress installation, only the registered media, plugins and themes.

However, if you use Managed Backup option then those folders should be included as Managed Backups will create a backup of your entire WP installation and all the folders inside it.

If you need further help or have any additional questions please start a new ticket or chat so we can check it out further without spamming original poster with email notifications of our responses.

Best regards,

Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.