[Snapshot Pro] Snapshot storing backup on my server

Hi there,
I've set my backups to be stored on Dropbox which they are but there is also a local copy that resides on my server taking up space. Is there a way to not have the local copy stored on my server when I have it being uploaded to dropbox? Thank you

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi twinsmagic

How are you today?

The backup should only upload where you have set on backup configuration, however wouldn't you mind please enable the Support Access and I can have a closer look.

1. Log in to the WordPress Admin Panel for your site (go to the Network Admin dashboard if on Multisite), and then navigate to the “Support” page from the WPMU DEV menu item (WPMU DEV > Support).

2. Click the “Grant Support Access” button in the Support Access panel.

You can find more about support access here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Let me know when the support access is granted and I will have a closer look.
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• twinsmagic
    • The Incredible Code Injector

So it's normal to leave a huge zip file on my server even though I've chosen my destination as Dropbox? Seems ridiculous that I have to remember to go into my files and manually delete those zip files or risk running out of disk space...

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi twinsmagic

Unfortunately this is the plugin behavior, however this was already reported for a feature request and the developers will be having a closer look on this and probably implement this on a future release.

You can use a workaround creating a shell script to clear all .zip from upload/s folder using a cron job.

Assuming that you use cPanel, create a remove.sh on home folder and paste a script which would looks like:

#!/bin/bash

# Remove ZIP Files
    rm  /home/USER/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots *.zip

Now search for Cron Job on cPanel and set it to run everyday if you wish,
    and use the follow command to call the script:

/bin/sh /home/USER/remove.sh

However this is only a workaround and It extremely recommended that you use on a stating website before production.

Have a Great Day,
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• twinsmagic

Because of how the zip files are created and stored on my server, I've now run out of space on my VPS which is very inconvenient which makes WP Snapshots pretty much worthless to me currently until I can feel confident that a bunch of zip files won't be sitting on my server.

• twinsmagic

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay. I was able to test this again and I can confirm that a zip file is left on the server. In my case, it was over 3 gigs and was located in:
    wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup/

So even the managed backups leaves a huge zip file on my server which unfortunately takes up a lot of space and I have other backups that are now also backing up that huge zip file. Please advise on why this is being kept on my server after being uploaded to my dropbox account. Thank you.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi twinsmagic

How are you today?

This is really strange, managed backup should remove the backup from the folder, especially if this is more than 1GB file.

However you can go to Snapshot > Settings > Global File Exclusions and use the:

public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots

To avoid Snapshot backup the old backup file.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• twinsmagic

It's not Snapshots backing up the file it's that I have another 3rd party solution that also backs up my files and because snapshot stores the zip files in the "uploads" folder there is no easy way to avoid that. Even so, I don't want the huge zip files sitting there on my server!

How can I get snapshots to operate in the way it's supposed to?

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi twinsmagic

Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with the zip file left on the server.

You can follow this:

Go to Snapshot > Settings > Global File Exclusions and use the:

To avoid the new backup will backup the old file, then check this configuration:

You can set it to 1 (0 will keep all backups) , it will keep only the latest backup in case it goes wrong.

However, I'm afraid that we don't have a way to avoid keeping this file on the server yet, you can use a cron job as a workaround, I sent an example on a previous reply, I'm already sent this as a Feature Request to our developers, we try to improve our plugin experience each release, and I can see this is a important request, I hope it can be considered as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• twinsmagic

This doesn't make sense. Earlier in this thread you stated:

"Using WPMUDEV managed backups after the backup is complete the .zip is deleted from the server.

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas "

That implies it's supposed to remove the file from the server and what I'm experiencing is a bug.

Now you say this:

"...we don't have a way to avoid keeping this file on the server yet..."
    which implies that it's not supposed to remove the file from the server which is why you submitted a feature request.

I'm confused. Shouldn't I have support looking into why the file isn't being removed as you previously stated is supposed to be the case? I feel like I'm getting mixed messages here in this thread...

I would have not revisited this again if I would have known that it's normal behavior to leave the zip file on the server still so when I asked that above and you told me it should be automatically deleted I was willing to give it a try. This has been a frustrating experience going back and forth and getting different answers.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi twinsmagic

How are you today?

Let me clarify how the Snapshot Pro works.

There are two different backups on there:

The first one the Snapshot. This will backup the single a single site and you can set the destination, local, Google Drive, DropBox etc. This feature unfortunately leaves the .zip on the Server and is one that I already opened a request to the developers. To avoid this I proposed a linux workaround on a previous reply.

The Managed backup will backup the wordpress network if this a multisite environment, this can be uploaded to our cloud storage. When you use this option you set how many backups you want to keep on the serve in case the restoration, or upload goes wrong, for example if this is set to 1 ( 0 will keep all backups ) when I mean that this removes the .zip is because, when a new backup comes up, this will remove the old backup from the local server and keep the new one.

To avoid the Snapshot Pro backup the _backup folder we use :
    Snapshot > Settings > Global File Exclusions and use the:

Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.