Snapshot Pro: Stuck At "Media"

Hey,

I'm trying to use "Snapshot Pro" on my main website and it keeps getting stuck at "Media"... It's at 4% files 1/32. It's been there for almost an hour and a half.

Can I have some help?

Thanks,
Donald

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Donald,

    I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

    This is while creating snapshot or restoring it?

    I'd start with increasing WP memory limit by adding following line to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT','256M');

    this should be placed above the "/*That's all, stop editing..." line."

    It's also important to know how many files are there in Media Library and how big (in terms of file size) are there. Is the snapshot still running on your site or did you cancel it? Could I take a closer look? You may grant me a support access by following this guide:

    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

    Best regards,
    Adam

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Donald!

    Thank you for granting an access.

    I checked the site and run some tests but still no luck. I noticed that your PHP memory limit is set to 6000M, is this indeed available RAM on your server? I'm asking just to make sure that the 256M WordPress memory limit that you set recently following my advice is indeed available :slight_smile:

    As for the issue. I made some changes to Snapshot settings but that didn't help and it still gets stuck at 4% of media files. This means that either there's some single "broken" file that's for some reason breaking snapshot process or some other factor enters the stage. To investigate it further it would be necessary to turn on WordPress debugging.

    That said, please add following lines to the "wp-config.php" file of your site:

    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG',true);
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

    One this is done please run snapshot again and after it got stuck access your server via FTP and download the "/wp-content/debug.log" file. Rename this file to "debug.txt", open it to make sure that no sensitive data is there such as e.g. DB login and password etc (if they are there, remove them please) and attach the file to your replay in this thread.

    Hopefully, content of the file will give us a clue on what's breaking the process :slight_smile:

    Best regards,
    Adam

  • Adam Czajczyk

    Hello Donald!

    Don't worry about that memory setting issue :slight_smile: I just wanted to make sure that the "256M" that we set there is actually available and it seems it is. That's fine.

    Thanks for sharing the debug.log file. Unfortunately it didn't help. I did run some further testing on your site though and even though I didn't succeed yet in getting this to work I found out some more issues related to this that are worrying me.

    More detailed analysis shows that it's not memory limit but the server that responds with "Provisional headers were sent" message instead of a full response. This leads to the error and ajax call being stalled. At least we now know what's happening. The next step is to find out why :slight_smile:

    The clue that may be valuable here is that it happens always at precisely the same point, regardless of whatever WP memory settings and snapshot settings are. I noticed that the PHP on your server is set to be run as CGI/FCgi (Fast-CGI). This carries some limitations that are usually not an issue but in case of some more "limited" servers they may pose problems. I'd like to check and possibly eliminate that but for this I'd like to ask you to get in touch with your host and ask them (I can't see these settings unfortunately) about current "requests" settings for PHP: maxrequests, maxspare, maxrequestperprocess and everything else they could tell us about it that may be affecting the maximum number of requests and/or time that may cause the script to terminate.

    Also, please ask them if they could check their server logs for your site around that time you tried to create snapshot last time and see if there are any errors related to what I mentioned above.

    This will either tell us what to look further or at least eliminate some factors.

    I'm sorry this is taking that much time, it seems that the issue turned out to be much more complex than expected :slight_smile:

    Best regards,
    Adam

  • Donald

    Here's what they said,

    The server's apache 'maxrequests' and similar settings have a lot less bearing on this than you might expect because our systems use CloudLinux, and your current plan is limited to 12 entry threads. This means that once your account has 12 simultaneous 'entry' php requests, the 13th one opened will fail with a '503' error. These can be seen in both your raw access log, and in the 'resource usage' graphs in your cPanel if they occur.

    While performing backups, you also max out your disk i/o limit, which causes all scripts to start sharing that limited resource, slowing them all down and making it easier to run out of both memory and entry threads.

    Additionally, attached is the RAW log file!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.