[Snapshot Pro] Support for S3-Compatible Storage Solutions Removed in v3.2?

It would appear that support for non-AWS, S3-compatible storage solutions was removed from v3.2 of Snapshot Pro. Was this intentional? If it was intentional, will this support be reintroduced in the (near) future?

I have been using Wasabi, which is a bit-compatible S3 storage provider, but the removal of the ability to add custom endpoints broke this functionality.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Zyniker,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

We had an issue with previous version with Endpoints not getting saved in the Alternate Region host filed, which was corrected in the current plugin update.

I could notice that, I don’t see an endpoints saved in the above mentioned field:

Could you please double check, and see whether it works fine, once you have saved the the endpoints? So, that I could bring this into our developers attention, and see what could be done to make this work, if needed.

Regards,

Nithin

• Zyniker
    • WordPress Warrior

That is theoretically the way it should work, and is the way it used to work. Now, however, the plugin ‘assumes’ that the endpoint is on AWS, and, thus, produces this error (or similar):

Error: Could not list buckets :Error executing "ListBuckets" on "https://s3.s3.us-west-1.wasabisys.com.amazonaws.com/"; AWS HTTP error: cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: s3.s3.us-west-1.wasabisys.com.amazonaws.com (see http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Zyniker,

Thanks for sharing more info. We were able to notice anomalies regarding this, and our developers are giving a closer look. Will keep you posted once I get further feedback regarding this from our developers to see what could be done to correct this behaviour.

Regards,

Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Zyniker

I got an update regarding this from our developer, we had to update AWS SDK to the latest release, which in-turn had changes in the plugin side, in order to facilitate that update.

Hence the support for other aws-based solutions was dropped as a consequence of those changes, which includes the Wasabi region, which is focused on AWS S3 Buckets.

Having said that, our developers are looking forward to re-introduce other aws-based solutions for users in a future release. Until that, I’m afraid, you’ll have to make use of available regions listed in the plugin side.

Regards,

Nithin

• Luís
    • Support

Hi Zyniker ,

Hope you’re doing well today!

You are right, when a feature will be removed from a plugin, the users should be alerted first.

I would like to apologize for all the issues it may have caused, but as my teammate mentioned, our developers are working to re-add these features in the upcoming releases. and we hope it be very soon.

Cheers, Luís

• David Thibault
    • The Incredible Code Injector

+1 for this issue.

In the meantime, could you put an apply_filters on the AWS URL so we can edit it if necessary after you are done with it and before you use it? Then we could make ourselves a short-term fix to get this going.

If I were to put in such a filter, could you suggest the file and function where I would use it? I’m sure I could poke around and find it myself, but it would be quicker for you to ask the developers and point me in the right direction. I suppose it’s possible that the filter would be in the vendor’s code, and hence why you haven’t done such a quick fix already, but I’d love to hear from you either way so I can use my time more wisely than poking through your code to insert apply_filters hacks :slight_smile:

Much appreciated.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi David Thibault,

In the meantime, could you put an apply_filters on the AWS URL so we can edit it if necessary after you are done with it and before you use it?

I do agree, this could be really be helpful option, and our developers attention has already been brought into this, and they do agree it’s a very handy to have a filter, and are looking into implementing this in the version 3.2.1 of the plugin release.

We already have 3.2.0.2 version locked, and being worked upon, so I’m sure whether this is something which couldn’t be implemented straight away in the next release.

I’m also checking whether there is any quick workaround until that, will keep you posted once we get further feedback. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.