[Snapshot Pro] The Hub & Snapshot Feature

Hi,

Just a quick feature I thought might be useful. When trying to recover from a disaster the first thing you will need is your backup files. What I have noticed is that from the Snapshot pro interface in Wordpress, when I go to the link to download the backup file its an amazon aws file that is available for a period of time after the link is generated.

This means that I can go to my server and do a:

wget <awslink> and fast download the file direct to the server.

The links from the hub are not these links and I can't do the same from there. What this means is that in the event of a disaster (when everything will be stressful anyway) I will need to wait to download the backup file, and then wait to upload it to the new server as well. It would be much more useful to have these AWS links to allow me to pull them directly.

Kind regards

Mark

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Mark

I hope you're well today and thank you for raising such an interesting idea!

Whenever you download backup - via the plugin or via The Hub, regardless of what the URL is - there's some communication going on with AWS to actually authorize the operation, I believe. I must admit, though, that I'm not that familiar with the "tech details" behind it so I've asked our developers first for consultation on how this works exactly.

I do see how handy that could be and how much it could speed up site recovery in case of, as you say, disaster. You can download backups from The Hub directly, even if your site is not connected to it at the moment but yes - it's a regular download via browser and you still need to upload file to the server. That might take time and surely doing "wget" or "curl" to the backup file directly would often be much faster :slight_smile:

To sum it up: I've asked our developers behind the Hub about how this currently works "tech wise" under the hood and I'll be more than happy to push your idea to them :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello again Mark

I just got some explanation from our developers and the good news is you can actually do exactly the same without having access to the plugin.

If you start a download of backup from The Hub via browser, you can check downloads (in Chrome on Windows it's just "Ctrl + J" key combination) and you'll see the same AWS direct link. You can then "wget" it directly to your server.

The link is pre-authoraized and valid for 10 minutes so you should be able to get download file directly that way.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Mark
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for that, it is good to know. So I would still like to keep it as a suggestion though. I know I can get it by starting the download, but having a direct link (or a button to push to authorise and then get given the direct link) would be more usable.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.