Snapshot pro unknown error

When trying to backup my website (only files) I got an error "An unknown response returned from Snapshot backup attempt. Aborting. Double check Snapshot settings.".

Nothing special appears in the logs, it only stopped at section media/2017/02

I tried to exclude directory 2017/02 and the backup worked.

I think the issue is that directory 2017/02 size is 7.1Go and that snapshots don't manage to stats it, however I don't know what to change in settings to make the backup works (I changed max_execution_time to 1800 but without success)

Settings :

• Tyler Postle

Hey Emmanuel,

Yes, that is most definitely the issue. It would take awhile to backup 7.1GB+

If you're on a shared host then it's unlikely any setting changes would help. The better option would be to use our Managed Backup method instead. The way it backs up files is completely different to the regular Snapshot. It was developed with shared hosts in mind especially as we can easily adjust the chunk size - instead of trying to backup that 7.1GB all in one go, it will break it up into smaller more digestible chunks.

Have you tried doing one yet? You can initiate it via:

Snapshots > Managed Backups.

If the default setting doesn't work then try adding this to your wp-config.php file:

define('SNAPSHOT_FILESET_CHUNK_SIZE', 100);

The default value there is 250. If 100 doesn't work either you can try going down to 50.

Again, 7.1GB + whatever else you have, maybe the entire site is closer to 10GB is quite large for a PHP based backup solution. If the above doesn't work either then you would be better off going with something server side like the cPanel built-in backups. It gets to a certain point where WordPress backup plugins aren't the best option, even though they are a lot more convenient.

Hopefully your server will be okay with the Managed Backup method though, if so then you are good to go :slight_smile:

Any further questions on that just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.