Snapshot Question about size differences

My Snapshots are around 200 MB (All files and database included) but my Managed Backups are around 2.6GB.
I don't think there is any file in my website root directory that big. Can you please tell me why there is such a big difference?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Jack Lavender

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

There's a big (over 2GB) backup file in the /wp-content/ai1wm-backups folder on the site. I think it's some migration file from All in One Migration plugin.

When you create a full snapshot, all the core files and folders (wp-includes, wp-admin) are included and all the "core" files from /wp-content (so /themes/, /plugins/, /uploads) but not such migration files.

With Managed Backups the backup is always full and that means that all the files that are in a root folder of your install and in all the sub-folders of it - furthermore, regardless whether they do actually belong to WordPress or not! - are included in backup. Hence, this backup file was also included in it and causing that backup to be that huge.

It's, of course, redundant to "backup the backup" file so I've excluded it from Managed Backups (see "Snapshot -> Managed Backup -> Settings" page) and run Managed Backup manually to confirm: that backup is now about 260MB so that's seems to be fine (considering slight differences in what's backed up by snapshots and managed backups).

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.