Snapshot "restore" on new server (to duplicate site on another server)

Hi, I'm trying to restore my website on another server using the snapshot plugin. Unfortunately it does not seem to see the snapshot archives/files that I backed up on the old server. How do I upload the files and "restore" my website on a new server?

I basically though that if I select all the options when doing my snapshot backup, I could easily install the entire site, themes, plugins and database on another server. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thank you!
Jacek P.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FDZ, Officially Snapshot does not support what you are describing as 'migration'. This is very different than backup/restore on the same server configuration. Part of the issue is on the restore server things can be different like the domain, the database table prefixes, etc. Snapshot does not for example filter the content and update the domain URLs. We are working on adding this to make it easier to migrate from server to server. See this thread. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/was-wondering-if-snapshot-can-backup-from-one-server-and-then-be-restored-on-another-server

But to answer you other question you can import the snapshot zip archive from another site. To do this upload the zip archive to the snapshot folder /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ Then go into your wp-admin in the restore site. Go to Snapshots > Settings. On this page you will see the section 'Archive Import'. Click the scan button. Once this is finished go to Snapshots > All Snapshots and the imported zip archive should be listed.

• FDZ
    • New Recruit

But that is my problem with the scan and import, I uploaded the file to the proper folder as you stated above, but after I click on "scan" nothing happens, the page reloads but under "all snapshots" there are no archives to restore. What could be the problem? The archive size is 250M so in settings I increased the 32M to 1G.

I do not get any errors, but no archive is visible under the "all snapshots" tab.

Thank you!

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@FDZ, Should not matter on the memory size. But does not hurt either. As part of the zip archive there is a manifest file which contains all the information used be Snapshot. This file is extracted as part of the scan processing. So the entire archive does not need to be extracted.

Tell me more about the source vs destination site. Are they both single WordPress? Or are you mixed single and Multisite? Different domains I'm assuming?

just asking so I can try this on my local system. See if there is something with the scan not working. I just tried on my own site and the scan/import worked as designed. Though would be nice to have some report on what was imported. hmm. Let me know. I'll work with you today to get this solved.

• FDZ
    • New Recruit

Hi,

Really sorry about the delay...
    Both are single wordpress sites and the domain is the same! I basically need to move the site from one server to the next.

I have redirected DNS back to the old server and I am trying first do this on my local installation of wordpress on my computer. I have installed the beta snapshot you suggested and this is the message I get:

"
    The Settings panel provides access to a number of configuration options you can customize Snapshot to meet you site needs.

Importing archives from: C:disappointed:xampp/htdocs/wp-faktydlazdrowia/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/

Processing archive: snapshot-1356082976-121221-094256-3f35b684.zip
    "
    And this is were id ends, I gave it 10 minutes, and nothing, so I clicked on "all snapshots" but no archive was visible. The archive file is approx. 126M.

So it's processing the right archive. Maybe I should give it more time to process?

• aristath
    • Recruit

The original poster of this issue is no longer an active member on these forums.

I am marking this issue as resolved.
    If however at some time the member becomes active again and the issue still exists, don't hesitate to reopen it and post an update on your current status.

Cheers!
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.