Snapshot seems not working properly

Hi,

I have just bought and installed snapshot today and ran into some issues. I appologize for the longer story, but I want to explain to you exactly what happened.

After installing it, I made my first snapshot directly, before updating my plugins. After the plugin update I made a second snapshot.

After that we changed and added some things to the website, but after testing one of our webpages (other listbuilding plugin) we saw that this wasn't working anymore. Now this could be because of the new snapshot install or the update of this particular plugin. So, we decided to make a third snapshot, to save the work done after the 2nd and then restore to the first snapshot to see if this error was caused by the listbuilding plugin update itself or because of snapshot. It looked like it was the listbuilding plugin update that caused the malefunction, but after restoring a few other issues appeared.

* Above every page I get a message that I need to configure my "simple share button" plugin, which was configured correctly before.

* One of my sidebar widgets disappeared, while it was there and installed before backing up.

* Also, if I click on "all snapshots" I do not see my 3 snapshots anymore! There are still in the folder if I look via FTP, but not visible in wordpress.

I didn't notice any other issues yet, but of course I didn't check my complete website.

I hope you can help me out with these issues? Not so much with the listbuilding plugin not working properly though, because that is not due to snapshot.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Nico

• Alexander

Hi @Nico,

When creating these snapshots, could you let me know what settings you used? Did you do a full backup including all the files. Also, did you have snapshot backup all the database tables as well?

Based on the original settings for snapshot, the restore process can work in different ways. It's possible that restored plugin files without the associated changes in any custom database tables, or perhaps the other way around.

A screenshot of the snapshot settings would be helpful as well if you wouldn't mind posting one.

Best regards,

• Alexander

Hi @Nico,

Thanks for the screenshot! Glad to hear the disappearing widgets is solved.

As for the Simple Share button, can you confirm that those settings are actually gone? It might just be a message shown on first activation somehow. It could have also been using an unconventional method of storing settings that Snapshot was unable to restore somehow. I've seen there are a few plugins with a similiar name, and could even be a theme feature. Could you provide a link to the exact simple share plugin you're using? I could download it and take a look.

On the third issue, after seeing your settings I'm not sure what would cause the backups to disappear. Let me check with the developer on this to see if he has any insight here.

Best regards,

• Paul

Hi @Nico,

On the third issue, after seeing your settings I'm not sure what would cause the backups to disappear. Let me check with the developer on this to see if he has any insight here.

Reading this thread am I correctly following that you performed a restore of the first snapshot after create a second and a third?

In that case this is somewhat of a known bug. The snapshot database for the snapshots is stored into the wp_options table like most plugins. when you perform a restore this of course clears any new data, good or bad, changed since that backup. So in effect you have done what you indented, to restore the database to a prior state.

Normally Snapshot, when performing the restore, is intelligent enough to know not to update its own wp_options settings record. But depending on how the restore goes this sometimes does not work correctly.

We are looking to move the settings and configurations outside of the database. This way they will not be defendant on the database.

• Nico

Hi @Alexander Rohmann

Sorry, for the misunderstanding, but a few words were missing in my last message.
    The widget is still not visible, but the backup files that weren't showing is now solved.

The settings for the simple share button are really gone! (see attachment).
    I had my facebook, twitter, pinterest etc. and all my info set up in the right column, but that is empty now! The website of the share plugin is: http://www.simplesharebuttons.com/

Thanks for contacting the developer. He already contacted me.

BTW I ran into another issue with snapshot. I wanted to see what would happen if I just restored the 3rd snapshot that I made and if all the old settings were comming back then. While doing that the restore process stopped at the 4th table of my database! (see attached image) I thought it might take a bit longer, but after waiting for more than an hour it still doesn't proceed. No idea what is going on, but something is definately not right!

I hope you or Paul can look into this for me?

Thanks, Nico

Cheers, Nico

• Paul

@Nico,

The settings for the simple share button are really gone!

Not knowing what tabled you restored it is impossible for us to provide a satisfactory answer. Most all plugins store their settings into the wp-options table. So if that table was not restored or is the restore was not complete the settings will be missing.

BTW I ran into another issue with snapshot. I wanted to see what would happen if I just restored the 3rd snapshot that I made and if all the old settings were comming back then. While doing that the restore process stopped at the 4th table of my database! (see attached image) I thought it might take a bit longer, but after waiting for more than an hour it still doesn't proceed. No idea what is going on, but something is definately not right!

you might be hitting a memory issue. Go to Snapshots > Settings. Look for the section 'System Info'. Please provide a screenshot of that entire section. Also just below the 'System Info' you will see the section 'Memory Info'. What value is shown there?

• Paul

@Nico,

Then I suspect this is something with the half loaded wp_options table. As mentioned plugins and your theme all store settings into the wp_options table.

This is somewhat of a know issue but not many users run into it. The issue is that Snapshot that way it is currently written imports the database rows directly into the active database table. And when you are doing this partially in segments like your image then the first part loads but fails on the second part due to WP errors. We are working on a new version of Snapshot which will load all the tables into temporary database tables. Then as the last step rename the temp table to replace the live table. should be released soon.

Things to try.

1. Turn of all plugins. All except Snapshot of course.

2. If that still does not work you may need to unset the wp_options from the restore table and try restoring it by hand. to do this you need to manually download the snapshot archive and extract it to your local desktop. In the list of extracted files you should see the file wp_options.sql. Using your host's Control Panel you should have access to the phpMyAdmin which is the database interface. You can then import the file into the existing wp_options table.

• Nico

@Paul

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them, but your first suggestion, for turning off all the plugins exept snapshot, gave me an error when trying to restore (see attachment).

Your second suggestion to do it manually would be nice, but when I extract the files from my first snapshot, then there is no file amongst them called wp_options.sql. I also checked the second one, but same issue there.

The third snapshot I didn't download yet, but if I try that now it doesn't let me download it anymore as a zip file. When I click it, it opens up the file and shows the code! Another thing is that the memory increase I did yesterday seems to reset itself to the default 40M again. When I increase it and save it, it shows the increased amount, but after trying to restore and getting an error or blanc page it is back to default! Somehow it seems not that easy to fix this issue and my admin seems to becoming more unstable (giving more blanc pages and only the share plugin error).

Isn't it possible that I give you the login, so you can have a look yourself? Since you are a developer, maybe you can fix this much easier yourself instead of using your time sending me so many messages.

Please let me know what you think and if this is possible?

Thanks, Nico

• Paul

@Nico,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them, but your first suggestion, for turning off all the plugins exept snapshot, gave me an error when trying to restore (see attachment).

Just to confirm. I meant going to the Plugins listing and deactivate all plugins. Not using the disable all plugins checkbox on the snapshot restore panel.

Your second suggestion to do it manually would be nice, but when I extract the files from my first snapshot, then there is no file amongst them called wp_options.sql. I also checked the second one, but same issue there.

The filename will not be exactly 'wp_options.sql' The 'wp_' depends on your database prefix defined in your wp-config.php. You will have some file with '_options.sql'. This is known. Otherwise restore would not be attempting to perform a restore on it. Try checking the files again.

Another thing is that the memory increase I did yesterday seems to reset itself to the default 40M again.

Again, when snapshot performs the restore you are overwritting the snapshot settings in the wp_options table with whatever values are in the archive. So yes you should expect these to change.

• Nico

@Paul

Just to confirm. I meant going to the Plugins listing and deactivate all plugins. Not using the disable all plugins checkbox on the snapshot restore panel.

I did go to the plugin listing and deactivate them manually.

The filename will not be exactly 'wp_options.sql' The 'wp_' depends on your database prefix defined in your wp-config.php. You will have some file with '_options.sql'. This is known. Otherwise restore would not be attempting to perform a restore on it. Try checking the files again.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I found the options.sql. I have done the restore now and afterwards uploaded the options.sql directly via phpmyadmin. Although it is not completely automatic, the backup and restore work now!

Thanks for your help and your patience!

Cheers, Nico

• Paul

@Nico,

Thanks for the update. Sorry for not checking with you prior. I'm about to release a new version of snapshot which included much better logic on the restore. Instead of attempting to restore to the live database tables it instead performs the restore to new tables with a special prefix. Once all the table restores are finished it then deletes and renames each of the live tables on one step. This should be much more stable.

Plus the new version contains migration logic.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.