Snapshot stopped working. I am using a child theme of Blogs MU

I have Snapshot 2.5.0.1. It was working fine until 11 February, the last date that snapshots were saved to our local server and to Dropbox. When I went to view 'All Snapshots' the listing was blank where previously the two snapshots were listed. And the Dropbox destination no longer exists, I have had to recreate and re-authorize with our Dropbox folder. I have tried to add a new Snapshot to send to local server but it is not working. It appears to prepare the Databases and then stops at 1% on Files. I have granted Support Access. Thanks for your help.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @heatherreagan,

Were there any changes on your installation since that specific day any plugin or theme updates or any new plugins installed?

Can you enable debug log in your wp-config.php by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);

This will create debug.log file in your wp-content folder that could tell us what is going on.
    Can you run snapshot after that, save debug file as .txt file and attach it here so we can check it out.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks for taking a look at this. I usually update plugins and themes within a few days of the new versions appearing. I'm afraid I can't recall which ones have been updated since that date. It would be great if the Plugins page could include the date when each plugin was installed/updated on the site. I think it would help identify things like this and other incompatibility issues.

Usually I have the notifications from Wordfence but unfortunately since 21 January I haven't received these (a separate problem to do with a new firewall on our incoming emails).

I will enable debug and run a test like you suggest.

Best wishes

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Frances,

I did some further tests on your site and before editing wp-config we can try something else.

I noticed that issue is only when you try to include media files in snapshot, it could be that this folder is too large and that server can't handle compressing it.

Can you tell me what's the size of your Uploads folder and which is the largest folder in your uploads folder?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Hello Predrag

Thanks for investigating further. The uploads folder is approx 48 MB. Two folders inside are fairly large:

2013 is 19 MB
    2014 is 23.5 MB

I suppose we could back these up now and leave out of future backups but every so often I update images in those folders. I suppose I would just have to remember to then back up those folders again. Is that the sort of thing you were thinking?

Thanks

Frances

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Frances,

That's actually not large at all and you shouldn't have any issues with media folder that size, what it could be is corrupted file somewhere in there that's causing this.

Can you provide me with FTP login details so I can investigate this further?

You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ and the template below:

IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic so it doesn't go back to forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - login url
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Frances,

Thanks for sending in those details, I was checking your site and found out that the issue is because of your uploads/cooliosnapps folder which has over 80 snapshots in it and it's total size is somewhere around 5 GB which is quite large and your server was unable to handle it.

As soon as I excluded this folder from snapshot it started working properly.
    We are looking in changing how Snapshot works so it splits such large folders in multiple processes so it doesn't take up so much server resources.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• PCI Team

Dear Predrag

Many thanks for investigating. I thought I checked the folder on the host last week and found it was almost empty. Perhaps I've inadvertently ended up with 2 folders. At some point I know I gave it a different name to snapshot so it was not so easy to find. Obviously it worked! I also thought I'd excluded the snapshot backups folder from the backup, so it didn't get bigger and bigger. Thank you for sorting it out for me and getting snapshot working again.

Thank you again for all your help

Kind regards

Frances

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.