Snapshot Suggestions: Add WordPress Export File plus Site ID to File Name

I've just used Snapshot and absolutely love it!

My suggestion is to add an option to include a WordPress Export file (the XML export). This won't add much overhead but will come in handy for restoration if needed and people may have issues with database restoration. Having most of the important stuff in the XML file adds even more security.

Also, adding the Site ID/ Blog ID to the file name of the snapshot zip file would be awesome for Multisite installs to better organize files. For example:
snapshot-id5-....

Thanks!
-Dave from Germany :slight_smile:

• Paul

@daviddecker, Thanks for the suggestions. Not trying to be a damper on your suggestions but I have some replies...

My suggestion is to add an option to include a WordPress Export file (the XML export). This won't add much overhead but will come in handy for restoration if needed and people may have issues with database restoration. Having most of the important stuff in the XML file adds even more security.

Actually this is not a good solution. I know some other backup tools offer this. But there are some issue. First, XML export is already part of WordPress. Why reinvent the wheel. But I can hear you say this need to be automated. Well there are other issues with the XML format. Namely is does add overhead and is actually less portable than standard SQL.

...will come in handy for restoration if needed and people may have issues with database restoration.

Not sure I understand. As the restore process with Snashot is automated the user would not know what the underneath format of the data is in. Plus if the site was totally down and needed to be restored you would need to first get WordPress up and running to then import the XML. With SQL files these can be imported by any SQL tool (phpMyAdmin) outside of WordPress. Again not trying to be negative.

Having most of the important stuff in the XML file adds even more security.

How is this more secure than SQL or the zip file currently used by Snapshot??

...adding the Site ID/ Blog ID to the file name of the snapshot zip file would be awesome for Multisite installs to better organize files. For example:
    snapshot-id5-....

This suggestions we have seen before. We are actually going to make this somewhat happen. We will still have a base filename structure like it currently is with snapshot and a unique date/time. But adding the site ID and or domain would be a plus for many users.

My suggestion to all members running a Multisite system it to just add a unique path to the snapshot configuration. By default Snapshot creates a folder /wp-content/uploads/snapshots and all archive are written to that top folder. When you create a snapshot configuration you can create a unique path for that chosen configuration by setting the 'Directory' in the 'Where to save the Archive' section. This works for local files as well as remote destinations.

Anyway please do keep the suggestions coming.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.