Snapshot table confusion

If select option for ALL tables it copies tables with similar blog ID

if SELECTED tables option only includes tables with similar blog ID

wp_2_posts

wp_22_posts

but not wp_3_posts, etc.

I would actually like to snapshot the whole network database tables with one click, but didn’t see that option, and not sure what will happen during restore with tables from other Blog ID’s

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@tripvendor, Can I ask you to verify you are using the current version of Snapshot (2.0.3). That version should be only selecting the tables specific to the site as in wp_2_ for blog_id 2

If you are seeing both wp_2_ and wp_22_ then you may have just found a bug.

As of the current release there is not a way to backup the entire network with one Snapshot. Originally Snapshot was developed to just work with the tables of the blog/site only. This way is you were to need a restore you would not effect all blogs on the system.

• tripvendor
    • The Bug Hunter

Version 2.0.3

it happens to the sites with blog id less than 10… so something to do with it looking for the tables based on the ID, site ID 4, grabs 4, 41, 42, 44 etc; site ID 15 only grabs 15

network activated, but one thing I see as an issue is that from the subsite admin there is no option for the snapshot (that I can find) – snapshots only available from network admin

with a hundred sites or whatever that is a lot to deal with to set up, etc. site admin should be able to setup/take a snapshot I’d think

regards

• tripvendor
    • The Bug Hunter

just found something else…

I just did a snapshot of the primary site….

then I did a snapshot of the next site on the list, which I know has Blog ID 2, to see if it would duplicate the issue reported yesterday

but it is only taking snapshot of the primary files without the Blog id — and it now is hung up on the

Snapshot initializing (gathing information from tables) 100% but not moving forward

either my database is messed up or snapshot still work in progress …

can’t eliminate my DB as issue however

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@tripvendor,

I’m taking a look at the code this morning to see if I can identify why it is grabbing/including the wrong tables.

As for the hang this might be a JavaScript conflict. I know there were some changes in 2.0.3 to address an upgrade in WordPress 3.5 (still in beta) which bring in a new version of jQuery. The When you run Snapshot manually it does a bunch of AJAX calls back to the server. One thing to do it go into Snapshot > Settings On that page there is a new panel for Error Reporting. Try setting all the checkboxes and see if it provides any details back in the browser. But as you mentioned this in the first phase so not sure the settings are in effect at that point. If you want to dig there is a log file created for each backup. Check in /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_logs/ Just view the latest log. See if there is an error reported. If not then this is probably a JS conflict. I’ll need to look into it.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@tripvendor,

Also wanted to reply on the concept of the overall functionality of Snapshot. Originally, Snapshot was not planned to be a fully functional backup tool to compete with BuddyPress and other plugins. It was designed to be a quick backup tool that would take a quick snapshot of just your database tabled for a given site. The thought was you wanted to do a ‘snapshot’ before you install some questionable plugin or theme. If things didn’t work out then you can just do a restore. Nothing lost.

The initial 1.0 release of Snapshot did add a menu to all sub-sites. From the responses at the time from other admins was this was not good for two reasons. First if the site was broken there would be no way to restore the site. Second, the super admin would need to go into each sub-site and run the snapshot. So we move the Snapshot interface up to the Network admin level. There the super admin can perform backups for all sites. Thought not all at once.

So Snapshot is still evolving. Was are moving away from the concept of quick backup in case something goes wrong and into a direction to be a full backup tool. We added scheduling in later versions of 1.x. In 2.0 we added support for file to be included in the backup. In later versions of 2.x we plan to add the ability for sub-sites to run their own backups. Also via the super admin you will be able to enable backups for all sites. In 3.0 I want to add migration logic. This will allow migration is a single WP installation into and out of a Multisite. As well as just migration of a site from one host, say a developer’s host, to a production host.

One though on the sub-site backup was to integrate this with our ProSites plugins. So as the super admin you would have the ability to only offer sub-site level backup to ProSite users. Or just enable it for all.

Will Snapshot ever be a one-click backup everything up at once? I doubt it at this point. One thing is the restores. I don’t see how we would be able to restore just a single site from a mass backup. Also keep in mind when doing a sub-site backup the global tables for users, user meta are not included. We act on user direction. So if this is something you really want to see in this plugin let us know.

• tripvendor
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi –

thanks for the explanations and follow up – I went through my network trying to clear out rogue plugins and actually deactivated/uninstalled snapshot and then reinstalled it.

problem with hangup gone. certainly something local with that – it is still grabbing other ID’s but you probably are on top of that.

regards

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.