Snapshot to migrate a WordPress website?

Can I use Snapshot to migrate a WordPress website somehow?

We have a new client that had a developer disappear. The developer was providing web hosting for them, but never told them the FTP information, so I'm not sure what the best way of migrating is.

The hosting environment is too restrictive for the Duplicator plugin to properly archive all of their content (times out), so I'm running out of options and the clock is ticking. As of this moment, I'm unsure of the actual PHP timeout and memory limits, as those do not appear to be visible to me.

Thankfully the client has access to the domain name, so provided we can somehow archive the content in a way that lets me download everything, we should be able to re-point the domain name to a new server without issue.

This is a time sensitive issue, so any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Will Ashworth,

Thank you for the great question and no snapshot was not designed for migrating web sites and depending on the receiving host it can actually be quite simple.

First download using FTP the entire site contents as it is constructed on the old server i.e. download the entire public_html folder.

Using phpMYadmin export the database using preferably SQL or another format that is common between the two hosts old host and the new host.

Now FTP the entire folder contents of your site to the new host and import the database into the new host using phpMYadmin using the same format you used to export it.

That should indeed do the job for you clean and efficient.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers, Joe

• Will Ashworth
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, I know how to move a website. I've been in web development for 13 years. What I mentioned earlier is that we do not have access to FTP or phpMyAdmin...only WordPress.

I need to find a way to backup the entirety of the website through WordPress alone. Unfortunately, that's my only option, as the original developer has disappeared and never gate any information to the client.

This sucks.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Tricky situation. Does that error occur when you try to run snapshot? You can still access the rest of the site ok?

If you can give the URL we might be able to help determine who the parent hosting company is from the DNS. You can then put a case to them asking for access.

Alternatively drop me a line (my email address is in my profile) and I'll send you a copy of BackupBuddy to try (I have a developer license). It's worth a shot to see if that work if you can't get Snapshot running.

• Will Ashworth

Might be worth a shot. I'm trying some mod'd Snapshot settings right now, and it's gotten farther than before, so I'll know in a moment. I appreciate that offer! :slight_smile:

We actually know who the host is, but the old developer footed the bill, so they've no reason to talk to us (in my experience). It's worth a final shot if all else fails, but I'm hopeful there's a low-memory, less-compress (quicker and less server resources) backup option out there that will help.

Snapshot seems the best so far on resource usage while running, so fingers crossed.

• Will Ashworth

Okay, we're good now, and everything is migrated.

BackupBuddy was the only one of them that actually would do the job. Now, BackupBuddy failed as well, too. But that was because they've never deleted a single revision from their WP database. Once I optimized, then cleared out all revisions (500MB+ of them), then BackupBuddy was able to do it's thing in under 2 minutes.

Sorry WPMU Dev. Snapshot wasn't doing it for me this time for some reason. Probably the server the client was on. Don't worry...I'm not going anywhere. Still love my membership! :slight_smile:

Again, big thanks Phil, and you totally saved the day. I hadn't even heard of that plugin before, and now I'm talking to the powers that be about grabbing a developer license for use in every client project going forward.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Gentlemen,

Thank you for your input and happy that this was finally resolved and it was done using Backup Buddy as well.

Regarding the Snapshot plugin, it was never intended to do this function in any way, shape , or form. It was meant to be used for a convenient way to make a backup for a specific WordPress installations database within that installation.

But sure and agreed it would be cool if developed to perform this type of action as well.

Have a GREAT weekend people!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.