Snapshot was confirmed finished but not saved - i need to restore site to this afternoon

Hi,
I had to do a theme update on the site munchstudio.co.uk and did a snapshot of the site before to ensure i could restore it if anything went wrong. Well... everything did go wrong and when looking to restore it to a few hours ago, I cannot find the snapshop. Now the site has been restored to the 18th Feb. However i have lost all changes made these past few days. Really frustrated, is there a way to find where this snapshot went? :slight_frown: Many thanks,
regards,
Giovanna

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Giovanna,

Thank you for your question.

Have you checked the snapshot on the backup folder location which you have set in the snapshot settings as described on the following page?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#usage

Have you used any remote snapshot destination to save it like like Amazon S3, Dropbox, SFTP or GreenQloud ?

If you have Snapshots stored on a remote server, or have manually uploaded them to to your local folder, you must import them first so the plugin will recognize and show the archive in the All Snapshots listing.

Find more information about it on the following page, in the "Importing a Snapshot" section.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/#usage

What is the interval you have set to create the snapshot?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• munchstudio

Hi, just to let you know I don't need to restore my snapshot anymore, I have indeed re-done all the work on the site :slight_smile:

Just for the future, when I run an immediate backup, do I have to leave the snapshot page open? And should I create more than one snapshot: for example, one to run every week and another separate to run immediately when required.

Thanks for your help,
    Regards,
    Giovanna

I was thinking that might have been the reason it did not save...

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Giovanna,

Just for the future, when I run an immediate backup, do I have to leave the snapshot page open?

No you don't have to.

The Snapshot scheduling process uses the WordPress Cron (WPCron) system. This is the same process used to run daily checks for updates to core, plugins and themes. It should be understood this WPCron process is not precise. If you schedule a Snapshot for a specific minute of the hour WPCron may not execute at exactly that time. WPCron relies on regular front-end traffic to your website to kickoff the processing.

And should I create more than one snapshot: for example, one to run every week and another separate to run immediately when required.

No you don't need to do this. If you select 'Immediate' the backup will start immediately and will only occur once. If you select any other value the initial backup will start within a few minutes then repeat on the selected interval.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi