Snapshot Will Not Authorize Google Drive

Hello,

When attempting to authorize a Google Drive Destination the following error appears

401. That’s an error.

Error: invalid_client

The OAuth client was not found.

Request Details
scope=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.file
response_type=code
access_type=offline
redirect_uri=http://soobahkdo.biz/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=snapshots_destinations_panel&snapshot-action=edit&type=google-drive&item=snapshots
approval_prompt=force
state=token
client_id=soobahkdobiz
That’s all we know.

I have created a new Client ID and I have tried using an existing one that is working with another application without success.

The client ID that I am pasting into the setup form is NOT soobahkdobiz, so I'm not sure where thats originating from in the error msg above.

When I paste the new credentials into the setup page and click save destination then return to edit the destination then soobahkdobiz and a different password are present rather then the one's I entered when I clicked save. To clarify, I clicked save without a successful authorization. I was just trying to replace the save credentials.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Phil D

• Michelle Shull

Hey, Phil! Mind if I look under the hood?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings from the following path and reply on this thread after granting it?

Admin -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> Support Access Tab

If you have not installed WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin yet, kindly do that here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/ and then allow access as per the above process.

• Michelle Shull

Hey there SooBah, I've got it, I think!

I just tested this on my own setup, and I think you were on the right track, originally, with the wrong client ID. It looks like you were getting auto-fill from your saved passwords in your browser. I attached a screenshot of my Client ID, yours should look like mine.

If you're getting stuck with your username in there instead, try one of these two things:
    1. Clear your browser history and cache (that will sign you out of your site, too)
    2. Delete the saved password from your browser until you get authorized, then save it again.

Once you can load that page without it trying to outsmart you by inserting the wrong info, you should be able to enter and save your Google API info successfully.

Take care !

• SooBahkDo

Hi Michelle,

After you have saved a destination, go back and try to edit it by only modifying the Client ID and the Secret ID and observe what happens.

It was not an autofill issue as suspected.

1st) Apparently it is IMPOSSIBLE to edit a saved destination no matter what you do. That is either a BUG (??maybe the edit process is not deleting the stored token previously received from Google???) or if it is not a bug then the documentation should clarify that saved destination credentials cannot be modified, only deleted.

Sooooooooo I after much wailing and gnashing of teeth and wasting your time I finally decided to delete the existing destination completely and started from scratch by adding a new destination and adding the drive folder ID and then the same Client ID and Secret ID that I have been trying to use and the save step did save the credentials. (It never would save changed credentials on the existing destination)

HOWEVER, when clicking authorize I encountered a cryptic, noninformative error when trying to authorize. Something like "Something is Wrong Thats All We Know." Thank you error message for being no help AT ALL.

2nd) The documentation department should clarify about pasting the redirect URI into the Google Console Application REDIRECT URIS field needs to specify whether to paste it IN ADDITION TO the existing autogenerated Redirect URI in Google Console or REPLACE the autogenerated Redirect URI in Google Console. Some other applications will have multiple redirect URIS in that field, so it is not clear what snapshots wants there.

My experience was that pasting it IN ADDITION TO the autogenerated Redirect RUI does not work and produces a cryptic, noninformative error when trying to authorize. Something like "Something is Wrong Thats All We Know."

FINALLY, after apparently doing just about everything wrong that could possibly be done wrong for such a simple set of 3 configuration steps, I have now successfully saved and authorized a Google Drive destination folder and will test backups shortly.

Thanks for your help and please pass along to the documentation department the request for clarifying language that may help prevent future support tickets like mine and/or submit a request to the developer that the editing of saved destinations BUG be resolved if it is indeed a bug. If it is not a bug, then the clarifying documentation language might help for those who choose to read it OR the developer might consider adding a feature that prevents any user editing of a saved destination.

Thanks,
    Phil D

• Rob

When attempting to authorize a Google Drive Destination the following error appears

401. That’s an error.

Got this message while attempting to authorize a Google Drive Destination :

Request Details

401. That’s an error.

Request Details
    scope=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.file
    response_type=code
    access_type=offline
    redirect_uri=http://warwickpost.com/wp-admin/network/admin.php?page=snapshots_destinations_panel&snapshot-action=edit&type=google-drive&item=robs-google-drive
    approval_prompt=force
    state=token
    client_id=borkowski.rob@gmail.com
    That’s all we know.

Also, according to the directions, I'm supposed to activate the Drive SDK API. That doesn't exist. I repeat: Your instructions require a non-existent API.

What the heck is the matter here?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

Thanks for posting on the forums. Ideally its not a good process to post on a thread 10 months old. The plugin has changed since then and so has WordPress :slight_smile:

So it might be best if you open your own here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question , even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if the thread author wants to reply again here.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original.

You can also include reference of this thread in your newly created thread if you want to.

We would be more than happy to help you on your new thread :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.