SnapShot will not back up my multisite installation

Hi,

I'm in the beginning stages of creating a multisite installation. I've got most of the common plugins installed and about 2 dozen themes installed that sub-sites can use.

I'm trying to do a backup with SnapShot. First I set up an Amazon S3 bucket destination and tested it, but when I tried to back up the entire installation to it, it gets to where it's doing the Themes, then the screen refreshes and goes white. The job ends with no errors. I looked at the log, and it says nothing except the last line in the log says:

2015-09-04 16:26:55: file: section: themes

and that's it. I tried three times and it keeps doing the same thing.

Then I switched to local storage and it stopped in the same exact place, in fact the last line of the log file above is from the local storage backup (all previous logs for backup to S3 had the exact same last line with no error). But this time, the web page came back with this error text in RED at the top:

*************************************************

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@ewhizwebs.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

*************************************************

EVERY plugin got backed up and as far as I can tell all of the tables in the database. I can send a screenshot of the of the Backup screen and a copy of the log file if you need it. I would have attached them here but the support console in the WPMU DEV Dashboard doesn't support attachments apparently.

I have also turned on Support Access so you can go in and look at the settings yourself.

If this is a timeout issue, it would be nice of the log had information about the error.

Thanks

Jerry Boutot - CEO
AppDataWorks, LLC
(developer acting on behalf of Sam McCall)

  • Michael Bissett

    Hey Jerry, Michael here! :slight_smile:

    I'm getting an invalid access token error when I try logging in via the Support Access you granted,that's usually fixed by revoking & re-enabling the Support Access, could do take care of that please?

    In the meantime, I'm curious... since you run into this issue when the themes are being backed up, if you try excluding the themes from the backup, is it able to complete then?

    If so, what happens if you try backing up the themes only? Any errors then?

    Also, if you're able to access the site's error log (you may need to contact his host), what's showing up there? Any entries from around the time the snapshot was being created?

    Please advise,
    Michael

  • Sam

    Michael,

    The problem has been resolved. It turned out to be the Compression type in the settings.

    You have two types: ZipArchive (faster) to PclZip (slower). Everything I did, every change I made, the setting was on the recommended ZipArchive setting.

    Also, and I'm not 100% sure if this had any bearing, but I noticed when I went to the Dashboard of the MAIN site (not the Network dashboard) JetPack was reporting that I had exceeded the allowed space by 29%. I had the default of 150 Megs set for every site and apparently that also includes the main site. I changed the allowable space for the main site to 5000MB (we have unlimited storage) and that error went away. The reason I suspect this might have been the cause is because I tried to do a full site (database and files) backup using InfinteWP and it also failed. Every time the backup ran, it would only go so far, and then stop adding to the temp file that sits next to the zip backup. I was watching them with my FTP program and the backups always failed around 18-19 megs in size. Taking into account we have a bunch of plugins and 25 themes all in the root WP folders, I'm thinking that somehow the max size limit for the main site was being exceeded. I don't know if that's possible, but after I made the following changes the error went away.

    I changed the default directory to get it out of the "wp_" folder structure and changed the archive type to PclZip.

    BAM! Backups ran and they ran way faster than with ZipArchive selected. The entire 50 meg backup zip was created and uploaded to our S3 bucket in just a couple of minutes.

    Thanks for your help. You can close this ticket.