Snapshots automatic backup chron won't trigger

Hi!
I installed the snapshot plugin and was able to get the manual upgrades to run just fine. However, the scheduled backups didn't run.

I looked in your forums and saw some information about a setting in functions.php or wp-config to turn off the chron. I checked that, and that functions is not there, so I don't think that is the issue.

Any other things to try? Thanks!

• aristath

Hello there @Lucas, I hope you're well today!

Do you have any caching plugins installed on your site?
    Is it a site that gets traffic?

Snapshots depend on WP_CRON, and a number of things can "disrupt" that.
    It is a soft cron, which means that there is no server cronjob. Instead WordPress uses incoming traffic to calculate and schedule when tasks should run.
    If your site doesn't get any traffic then cron never fires.
    Similarly, if you have an aggressive caching plugin installed that serves cached copies of your pages to visitors, PHP is never triggered because visitors are getting static HTML files.

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Lucas

Thanks Ari,
    The individual sites in the network are getting hundreds of hits per day and none nothing related to the WP_CRON is firing. However, along those lines, we do have a few blogs that might have low traffic. Two questions:
    1. Can we setup a hosting service cron that we manually setup to trigger snapshots?
    2. Even if yes, we are still interested in getting this working as intended.

Thanks for the question about cache plugins, but no, we are not running any.

Best,
    Lucas

• Michelle Shull

Hi, Lucas!

Some hosts will block regular cron jobs, for assorted reasons. There's a chance your host is blocking your cron attempts, since it's not working on any part of your site.

There are third party sites that will run offisite crons for you, usually for a very, very reasonable rate. I've used this one, in particular, and found it to be reliable and stable, even with a huge amount of tasks. : https://www.setcronjob.com/

Would something like this work? If not, you may want to inquire with your host, to see if they prevent you from running wp-cron.

Hope this helps!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.