Snapshots from sub sites

Hi There,

Finally I took a look at Snapshot and have to say: marvelous!

One question though: Wouldn't it be cool, if the admin of a sub site could be enabled to take care of backups of his own?

Implemented with Pro Sites it could result in an extra revenue stream.

Cheers,
Tee

• Paul

@Tee, My plan is, and has been, to offer some direct backup ability at the sub-site level. I do like your idea of Pro Sites integration. I saw this from another member some time ago. So basically if a site admin purchases a certain level then can run their own backups.

As fro the restore this would be just the sub-sites database tables and media files. A sub-site would not be able to backup plugins or themes or .htaccess, wp-config.php

The one gotcha I'm been trying to figure out is how to handle common data tables. Take for example wp_users and wp_usermeta. Currently these tables are only backedup when the main site snapshot archive is created. This can cause an issue if I manage a subsite and remove a bunch of dead users then the super admin decided to perform a restore.

The next phase of the Snapshot roadmap is migrations. So will be able to take any site from a Multisite system and clone it within the same system. Move to a new Multisite system. Move to a stand alone WordPress site. Move a stand alone site into a Multisite system. Should be interesting.

• Tee

So basically if a site admin purchases a certain level then can run their own backups.

perfect

As fro the restore this would be just the sub-sites database tables and media files. A sub-site would not be able to backup plugins or themes or .htaccess, wp-config.php

good enough as it is not meant to be for leaving the network :slight_smile:

This can cause an issue if I manage a subsite and remove a bunch of dead users then the super admin decided to perform a restore.

Is this when super admin is making a restore in general or of that sub site only?

Migrations is a cool feature, no question! On my personal roadmap it would be from Typo3 :slight_smile:. Or Making money by allowing Snapshots :grinning:

When do you think it is realistic for you to put individual snapshots on the roadmap?

Cheers,
    Tee

• Paul

Well Snapshot 2.0 just pushed to production this past week (finally). So working on shaking out any bugs on that release. The next step in the roadmap will be to setup something to automate backups when a site is created. Right now I'm aware from many super admins about keeping the Snapshot configuration up to date when the bulk add site. Some I've chatted with have hundreds of sites. So there needs to be a way either via the centralize Network admin or at the site level to create backups. So that will be next.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.