Snapshots not importing

I'm trying to set up a development environment for my website. I was using the Snapshot tool to backup everything from my live environment to the new dev environment. I made a snapshot with my live site but can't seem to import it into my new site. I've tried uploading it to the dev site directory, hitting it on the live server, just refreshing the snapshots - but I keep getting the same error - "Error: Manifest data not found in archive." Any ideas what's going on that's keeping me from moving this site over?

• Nithin

Hi Brittny,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

I checked your website, and your archive in your /wp-content/uploads/snapshots/ folder, seems to have only 1.86kb of size, is this the right size? This error could happen, when Snapshot archive got corrupted.

Could you please try creating a new archive, and check whether it imports without any problem, and make sure you upload the Zip file through a FTP client, please do make sure folders are having the right permissions ie 755 for folders, and 644 for files.

If you have already tried this, and still it doesn't makes any difference, could you please enable support access to your live site, so that I could download an archive, and test this in my system.

Please let us know once you enable access, so that we could help get this sorted. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Brittny

Remaking the snapshot seems to have worked - thanks! Not sure what I did differently but the new one was able to be loaded in. However, when I created the snapshot I selected to have all themes and plugins backed up - and when I opened up the snapshot on my new site (a dev server) it didn't bring any themes or plugins along. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

As a side note - is there any way to allow site owners (who are not network admins) to create and manage their own snapshots? I really only want to allow them to make snapshots that contain their site data (media and db entries) and NOT allow them to back up plugins and themes (since those are sort of my secret sauce) - but I want to be able to give them control over this. My intention would be to set it up so that there was an automatic backup by default but leave the responsibility in their hands so I'm not liable for their data. I can't seem to find a way to enable Snapshot in the admin panel for an individual site - only in the Network Admin.

• Nithin

Hi Brittny,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

However, when I created the snapshot I selected to have all themes and plugins backed up - and when I opened up the snapshot on my new site (a dev server) it didn't bring any themes or plugins along. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

It should backup themes, and plugins by default. Please make sure to select Include common files: while taking a Snapshot, or select Include selected files: to include only selected files. If you have already selected these, and still having issues, please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look.

Image attached below.

is there any way to allow site owners (who are not network admins) to create and manage their own snapshots? I really only want to allow them to make snapshots that contain their site data (media and db entries) and NOT allow them to back up plugins and themes (since those are sort of my secret sauce) - but I want to be able to give them control over this.

You could run a scheduled Snapshot for each subsites excluding your themes, and plugins, in a new directory path so that the archived files could be accessed by the users, other than that, I'm afraid there isn't any out of the box settings for this, in a multisite environment, the plugin is only meant to run as a network admin.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.