Snapshots not working with Drive or Dropbox

Hi,

I have tried both Google Drive and Dropbox for snapshots and neither of them seem to be working. I have forced them to run, set up Cron Jobs in cPanel, and so on. Neither of them are uploading files. Is it possible it is something with my webhost?

• Sajid

Hi Blake,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

The webhost can be the issue but first we need to make sure there is no issue on WordPress end. Please run a plugin or theme conflict test as described in our getting support manual. Deactivate all plugins, switch to default theme and then check again.

Also, dose the snapshots archive works with local storage option ?

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:
    Cheers, Sajid

• Nastia

Hello Blake

I hope you are doing well today!

If you rename the plugins folder, you will deactivate all the plugins on your multisite. But this is not what we need to test for.
    To check for a conflict, you should
    - Deactivate all other plugins, except Snapashot
    - Create a backup with Snapshot (try to backup a smal file to make the test faster)

If the back up uploaded on Google Drive or DropBox, than activtae one plugin at the time, while testing, to find out which one is causing this issue.

Also, please navigate to Snapshot > All Snapshots and download the Latest Log file. Do you see any errors?

Please grand support access from WPMU DEV > Support so we can have a closer look?

Let us know how it went!

Cheers,
    Nastia.

• Sajid

Hi Blake,
    Thanks for granting support staff access and hope you doing good today :slight_smile:

After massive troubleshooting on your website, by deactivating plugin, switching theme, changing the compression library and after trying 6 different combinations of snapshot (all are paused and settings restored to default), I finally found out that your themes folder is the culprit. As long as I include themes folder it does not run the snapshot at all.

There must be something wrong with themes or one of your theme directory. May be a suspicious file or something. We need to figure out by moving your themes folder out side of themes directory and creating snapshot after each time to find out the real culprit (I can see you have 30 themes enabled).

That can not be done without FTP so either send in the FTP details or do it yourself so we came to know which exact theme is causing this issue (this may bring your site down for a while though). If its okay for you then please send in FTP details via our contact form in following format.

Subject: "Attn: Sajid Javed"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel login URL
    - cPanel username
    - cPanel password
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls
    Select "I have a different question" for your topic (see screenshot) - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Kind Regards,
    Sajid

• Sajid

Hi Blake,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

After heavy testing and troubleshooting on your website I figured that there is no issue with any files or media images. Because all works fine while backing up those individually.

I tried to increase the memory limit and after that it started archiving the themes folder as well. So there is no issue with any theme folder either.

We have reported a similar issue before with a big snapshots not being archived on schedule. The reason why it does not work with schedule is because on large archive server terminate the processing and in result snapshot did not get created.

On immediate backup, snapshot keep sending multiple calls to keep the server connection alive via an open browser that is not possible with scheduling because script just sends on request to the server to process.

We have this issue reported earlier and developers are working on this issue to backup up big archives at once that will be possible in snapshot 3.0 and our remote backup service.

Meanwhile, what you can do is schedule multiple snapshots separately on different time span to run successfully. For example, create a snapshot to backup themes only, another for plugins, third for media and lastly for database. That is not a solution but a workaround until we have a permanent solution for this issue.

Kind Regards,
    Sajid