So far so good with a Facebook App that connects with

So far so good with a Facebook App that connects with the site.

Now configuring: what is want is to autopost new blog posts on WP to a fan page of mine (www.facebook.com/coteprov).

Q 1.: what exactly do I need to fill in in the menu 'Autopost to Facebook'
Q2.: Once that is working and blogposts are set to Facebook fan page automatically, and once I configured also the Facebook Comments menu, where do these comments appear (I hope next or underneath the right blog item that they relate to? )

But let's first get on with Q1...

thanks for your answer

best regards,

Michiel

• Patrick

Hi there @Michiel

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

First thing, it is highly recommended to update your install of WordPress to the latest stable version, which is 3.9.1

The version you are using (3.8.3) is out of date and presents a security risk for your site.

Getting posts to autopost to your Facebook page is really rather simple. You first need to ensure that you have indeed granted extended permissions & tokens (the 3rd step in the plugin settings).

Then, in Autopost to Facebook settings...

- Check "Allow autoposting new posts to Facebook" to enable it. :slight_smile:
    - Check "Allow frontend autoposting to Facebook" if you are using any front-end post form
    - Check "Show post Facebook status column" if you want a new column on the All Posts screen to see, at a glance, which posts are on Facebook.
    - Then in "Map [your-site] types to Facebook locations", select your page in the dropdown for each of the post-types you want to be posted to Facebook.

Below are screenshots of a test setup of mine (on a multisite install so there's a extra checkbox in there that you likely don't see on your single site install), and the result of a post going to a Facebook page from a post on a subsite.

• Michiel

Hi Patrick,

Thanks, I think i need to work on permissions first. I'm not sure what to do and perhaps I must go back to the Facebook app...

What happens is this: in : Allowing permissions

Some parts of the plugin will require you to grant them extended permissions on Facebook. If you haven't done so already, it is highly recommended you do so now:

Something beneath the checkboxes is moving as if the computer tries to load something....

What should I do?

Clikcking either of the two buttons 'Refres.... ' or 'Use a new Facebook user...' doesn't help (Frankly I do not quite understand what these options mean)

Perhaps this issue in Permissions is making some things impossible in Autopublish as I would expect that I can choose either of my pages on Facebook to post to. None of them is showing, so I think the Plugin 'doesn't know' yet which options to give to me... ?

• Ash

Hello @Michiel

I hope you are well today.

Something beneath the checkboxes is moving as if the computer tries to load something

I believe you are referring to loading icon. When you are trying, you need to be logged in facebook in same browser. If you are not, a login popup should be appeared.

If it hangs on loading icon, please try changing API Locale in Facebook API section to the correct country of your app.

If it still doesn't work for you, please right click on chrome browser > inspect element > select on console tab > refresh the pare > grant permission again and check if any error is shown in the console.

Please let us know.

Cheers
    Ash

• Michiel

Dear Ash,

I blocked this afternoon to get this working... So I hope you'll be on the other side to help me out.

I set API Locate to DUTCH and it connect, so I can go on to the next menu Permissions & Tokens

It still doesn't work, I get following message when I click on Refresh User Acces Token:
    in dutch:
    De opgegeven URL wordt niet toegestaan door de configuratie van de applicatie.: Een of meer van de opgegeven URL's zijn niet toegestaan door de instellingen van de app. De URL moet overeenkomen met de website- of canvas-URL, of het domein moet een subdomein zijn van een van de domeinen van de app.

in english:
    the given URL is not permitted for configureation of the application: one or more of the given URL's are not permitted. The URL most be the same as the website of canvas URL' , or the domain must be a sub domain of the domains of the App

Do i need to add anything to the APP in Facebook, to the Ultimate Facebook. Help me out please...

best regards,

Michiel

By the way, I am connected with Facebook in the same browser, I did not check out ytet on the chrome suggestions you made

• Michiel

Hi Ash,

It works! Thanks!

Next step is Autopost blog postings to a Fan page of mine (www.facebook.com/coteprov) , not my own personal page.

So what exactly should I fill in in the Autopost to Facebook settings to make this happen. Once this is done, next step will be comments, but I would be very very happy if we can forward postings to Facebook tomorrow already (which time zone are you in ? Australia?)

best regards,
    Michiel

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Michiel,

Our various staff members are all over the globe, so we're in different timezones (yours truly is in the USA, on Central Time). :slight_smile:

As for the Autopost question, have you checked to make sure that "Prevent access to my linked accounts" is unchecked? That'll be a headache otherwise.

If so, then please do the following:

- Check the box for "Allow autoposting new posts to Facebook"
    - Have "Autopost Posts to" set to "Facebook wall", and "of this user:" set to your page
    - Check the box for "If posting to a page, post AS page"

If for some reason your page isn't showing in the "of this user:" dropdown, go to "Permissions & Tokens" and click "Refresh user access token" (had to do that once when it wasn't showing up for me).

Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Michael

• Michiel

Hi Michael,

I followed your instructions and it works perfectly! Thanks!

two questions:

- Please confirm that when another editor (not me) logs in and makes a new item, the item appears on the same Facebook page (and not his, for whatever reason... ) Just to be sure as we have other editors working on the WP site
    - What exactly is short code? When I check this box , will the text on Facebook be abbreviated so that people must go to the website to see the most of it.

well one more:
    can you show me one or two sites that make use of Ultimate Facebook extensively, I'd like to see a great example !

best regards,

Michiel

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Michiel,

Please confirm that when another editor (not me) logs in and makes a new item, the item appears on the same Facebook page (and not his, for whatever reason... ) Just to be sure as we have other editors working on the WP site

Yes, this is true. :slight_smile:

What exactly is short code? When I check this box, will the text on Facebook be abbreviated so that people must go to the website to see the most of it.

It's designed to shorten the link for the post, it doesn't affect the length of the text that Facebook shows for the content (it'll show an excerpt, so users will have to go to your site to see the full content).

Can you show me one or two sites that make use of Ultimate Facebook extensively, I'd like to see a great example!

I'm afraid I don't have any example sites for you at present, sorry!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance here. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.