So I get an email from a student that can't access course

So I get an email from a student that can't access course material. She said she can get logged into the course, but there is no data there. When I logged in to check it out, I see her listed as the ONLY student in the course, where there were previously 17 or so (including myself as admin) I can still see the data of the course as a student, but I'm not listed in the student list.

• Patrick

Hi there @Stacy

I hope you're having a great day!

I just created a test account on your site to see if I can help figure out what may be going wrong here (wpmudevtest).

I can see the theme layout just fine on my end in Firefox, Chrome & IE

However, I can't enroll to check any further 'cuz I don't have the passcode for the course. :slight_frown:

But as I can see your site layout, but your screenshot shows that you cannot, there is something conflicting in there somewhere.

Can you share the required passcode so testing can continue please?

• Michael Bissett

Hi @Stacy,

After looking at your site via a test account I created, and signing up for the course, I'm not seeing any layout issues inside of Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox 34, & Google Chrome 38.

Given this earlier comment:

I am able to access the course as a student using Internet Explorer (same as the student that shows up that can't access anything)

It would seem that the update resolved that particular issue, would this be a correct assumption? :slight_smile:

Regarding the missing students, would you recall if there were any particular updates to the network made around that time (plugins updated, for instance)?

To try a simpler method of resolving this, do they show up in the list of students if they leave the course, and then re-enroll?

Please advise,
    Michael

• Stacy

The problem with the student that had IE issues has been resolved. She can see the course material.

The students that have gone missing from the student list must be able to see the material as well, since I haven't gotten any notifications from anyone indicating otherwise.

I can't ask them to leave and enroll again, that would create a huge mess. Most of them had a hard enough time figuring out how to use the code to create a user name. Especially when they aren't experiencing any issues on their end. I have to be able to fix this on the back end.

I just checked the other site on that multisite install running Coursepress and the students are gone from that site as well... So are the instructors. (that is not an active course, my client chose another service because of the issues I had with the plugin and getting things working in the first place, viewing discussions etc.)

I did update the plugins, Coursepress and Marketpress. I don't have much on this install, just Avatars, Remove Email Verification, Pro Sites, and WPMU Dashboard network activated and Coursepress Pro and Marketpress at a site level.

This really bums me out, because I had clients lined up to serve with this plugin, and now they have gone elsewhere. I am even putting off an event that I'm hosting myself because of these issues...

What else can I do to help make this plugin more stable so I can feel comfortable using it?

• Michael Bissett

Hi @Stacy,

Really sorry to hear about the trouble you've encountered due to this, let's see if we can turn that around here for you. :slight_smile:

While I get the feeling that whatever caused the issues with students & instructors disappearing may have been fixed with a recent update, I'm inclined to think that there's still something off in your database here that's causing the students & instructors to be hidden still.

I'd need to have a closer look at this though, can you please send in the following:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details
    - Include FTP log-in details (just in case there's anything that needs to be debugged on a code level)
    - Include cPanel details (I'll need this for accessing the database, since access to phpMyAdmin will be required)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hi @Stacy,

After having a closer look, my earlier inclination of this being a database related issue proved to be correct. Allow me to elaborate a moment. :slight_smile:

For each site that each user is a student/instructor on, the meta_key property for the database entries related to CoursePress Pro inside of wp_usermeta should be formatted like this:

wp_4_role

(where "4" would be the blog ID).

However, with the exception of two users, that wp_4_ prefix (replace 4 with the appropriate blog ID) isn't present for the CoursePress related entries, which leads to CoursePress Pro not being able to find the students/instructors when searching for them inside the admin interface (since, in it's opinion, they don't exist in that capacity).

I've flagged the developer here for his feedback on the matter, but in the meantime, I'd like to ask, was this WordPress install a single site install at some point? The lack of that prefix I mentioned would generally be for that kind of site (Multisite installs running CoursePress Pro should always have that prefix in the meta_key entries).

If so, I would then like to ask if you have a database backup handy, that was made shortly before this issue started to occur? If we were to restore that, we should be able to get things back to the way they were before. :slight_smile:

Please advise,
    Michael

• Sumit Kumar

Hi @Stacy,

Thanks for all that information here.
    This surely will help our developer to look in this issue, more closely. As, he is already been flagged for the feedback and so he will be back in here when he will be able to do so :slight_smile:

We request your patience till then. You see, developer guys are backed up with regular issue-fixes and making updates for their new releases and so their response are delay than our usual response.

Thanks and Regards,
    Sumit

• Rheinard

Hi @Stacy

There was an update to improve multisite a couple of releases ago. Its possible that with an earlier one a bug might have been introduced. It will only effect existing users.

Seeing that it is a small group, if you can provide me with the following details we could fix this for you.

Who are the students? What courses do they need to belong to and on which sites?

@Michael Bissett, could you please forward me Stacy's support email so that I might have a look?

Once I have this information I will make sure the correct entries are in the database.

Cheers,
    Rheinard

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.