So multisite is a network to allow all wordpress sites

So multisite is a network to allow all wordpress sites share the same installation this sounds great. Although I am lost as to why can I not use a specific plugin if I don't have a network so in order for me to use these plugings I have to have a network. Why can we not do it without multisite I am lost is this going to be hard to manage pages in. Also can you still go back to the old url to login to word press. Or is it all sites are under one login is this correct.
Also most of my worries are that if I have a clients url. They don't want me to be taking care of there site this is were I am lost. So example I have Joesgarage.com then my own domain mydomain.com and Joe's garage is now wanting to take care of his own URL is this going to effect Joe's garage

• Patrick

Hi there @Vincent

I hope you are well today!

I am lost as to why can I not use a specific plugin if I don't have a network so in order for me to use these plugings I have to have a network.

Many plugins are specifically designed to function only in a multisite environment. The opposite is also true: many are not specifically designed to function in a multisite environment, and have no network settings or options at all.

Also can you still go back to the old url to login to word press. Or is it all sites are under one login is this correct.

Each site has its own login. So logging into domain.com/subsite is done at domain.com/subsite/wp-login.php

I have Joesgarage.com then my own domain mydomain.com and Joe's garage is now wanting to take care of his own URL is this going to effect Joe's garage

Ah, here is where our Domain Mapping plugin can come in handy:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

It enables you to offer your users the ability to use their own domain names on subsites in your network.

Once you have it set up, a site that is created at domain.com/joesgarage can be mapped to JoesGarage.com and the login would be JoesGarage.com/wp-login.php

Cool huh?

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to post again. We're here to help you get a good grasp on things. :slight_smile:

• Vincent

Can you allow and disallow what urls come into the network. Example I have venthost.com also ventnames.com on my server what if those are the only urls I want in my network will this work.
    Then lets say I want to add fluffey.com later can you do that.
    I don't want a disaster is this hard setup I am sure I can do it I have seen the video and I am reading the documentations you can only do this if you are a server administrator because you have to edit the DNS zone in order for the domain to be on the network correct.

Regards Vinny

• Patrick

Hi again @Vincent

I hope you had a great weekend!

Yes, if you are mapping top-level domain names (like venthost.com) to sub-sites created in your network, then you need DNS access to be able to set the "A' record for each domain.

So you can have a setup like this:
    your-network/subsite-1 maps to venthost.com
    your-network/subsite-2 maps to ventnames.com

You would have 2 domain names each mapped to individual sub-sites in your multisite network. Visitors to your sub-sites wouldn't even know that they're in a network.

Adding additional sub-sites is not an issue as your multisite install (and the database) can handle thousands of them. And you can map each and every one of them to a different domain name.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.