Social Marketing and/or Pay With A Like: collect email address?

I have installed and played with both Social Marketing and Pay With A Like, yet I am still confused.

Here’s what I want to achieve.

I want to put an ad like Social Marketing’s adverts on selected pages of a site.

Once a person pays with a like, they are then taken to a form to enter their name & email.

I would also like to have the recorded “like” statistics as with Pay With A Like.

The intention is to offer the chance for a free lifetime membership to the site, via a contest where those who pay with a like are then entered with their name & email address.

All ideas are welcome!

Don

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @don, Michael here! :slight_smile:

May I ask what seems confusing presently, could you elaborate on that?

Given this description:

Once a person pays with a like, they are then taken to a form to enter their name & email.

I would think that you’d want to protect a contact form via the shortcodes that Pay With a Like offers (via the Manual excerpt protection method), perhaps combine it with Contact Form 7?

Please advise,

Michael

• Don
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I understand what you have said, but I’m not sure I communicated well what I am after.

* I want the same ad on various pages. The ads that Social Marketing creates are fine.

* I want when a person clicks the ad, then immediately on the page they are on, they are able to share the site URL.

* Once they share, they then are taken to the contact form.

Are you suggesting the contact form be hidden on each page and then revealed after they share?

Thanks,

Don

• Don

Michael,

I’m giving up on my original plan.

I decided to just use Social Marketing.

I was going to design an HTML ad myself that linked to the contact page. Then place the Social Marketing advert on that page. Have people submit their name/email using the contact form so we can notify them if they win. Then they use the Social Marketing advert to share to their networks.

Now the problem is, I cannot get the Facebook popup box to show a correct page, but more so the headline of the page. I have no idea where it is pulling the data from, but I have gone through the text on every page, image alt text, searched the text in phpmyadmin, installed a search & replace plugin, and deleted/re-installed Social Marketing; I cannot locate the text that shows in the Facebook popup, and I want to change it.

Do you know exactly where the Facebook popup pulls the data from?

It would be ideal if Social Marketing would allow us to add our own text to share for the networks instead of automatically pulling the data and not allowing us to customize it.

Thank you.

Don

• Don

I’ve since discovered the cause of the odd text appearing in the Facebook pop up. I’ve got Yoast SEO. On the page that the Social Marketing ad appeared, if the Yoast SEO page description is too long (and I don’t know what the limit is) it changes what is shown in the Facebook pop up. I do not know where the Facebook pop up pulled the data from, but once I shortened the description, the Facebook pop up reflected the home page.

Now, the only complaint I have is that Social Marketing’s light box when opened on my phone cuts off the share buttons.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @don, Michael here! :slight_smile:

May I ask what phone you’re using this from, and what browser is in use? It seems to be working fine with an assortment of phones presently:

– Nexus 5

– Moto X (2nd Gen)

– Moto G (2nd Gen)

– iPhone 6

Would it be possible to grab a screenshot of what you’re seeing as well?

Please advise,

Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.