Social Media Marketing, I Need to Tweak the Code

Okay, there are several issues with Social Media Marketing - where it did not behave as I expected or wanted and so I am going to make the code changes necessary ....

I am writing here for two reasons - 1. to document this problem/solution 2. to ask for any advice or support you are willing to give.

Here are the problems:

1. The URL should show up in the 'ad' when displayed in a widget, or a post, etc. When have you shared anything without being able to first look at the page being referred to? Also, I realize that I can add the URL to the post itself - but why have to provide it twice? Rather silly in this day and age - don't ya think?

2. I want the tweet/post to actually display the content of the Social Marketing Ad. So if I create an ad that says, "Join Today's Visions Indie Eco Village and explore Today's Indies" I want the tweet/post to display "Join Today's Visions Indie Eco Village and explore Today's Indies" URL

This can be done by pulling the content from the database ...

Thanks and have a wonderful day

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Arizona!

First off, thanks for the feedback here! I'll make sure to pass it on to the dev.

Second, Social Ads are custom post types, so it may be easier to add the features you want via a custom post type editor. (We've got CustomPress, and there are a handful of fantastic free ones on the repository.) It would give you more control over the little details, and it wouldn't require you re-do your changes when Social Marketing updates again.

Hope this helps!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Arizona,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your response!

For the first one, the reason we don't have it in the text by default is because some members would then ask that they don't want the link in their and so we would just be on the other end of the spectrum :p

This way the user has full control whether they want it included or not. I do agree with you that I think users should be including it though! I wouldn't want to share a random link either.

and this would allow for the URL to show in the 'ad' and the tweet to be correct?

Bringing the ad content into the tweet would still take custom development I believe. Have you made any progress on this so far? If you get stuck let us know where you are at and perhaps we can help get you over a few bumps :slight_smile:

Look forward to hearing back Arizona!

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.