social network sharing

How do I fix the settings (or where do I fix them) so that when I share to a social network, the featured image and excerpt appears?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nicole,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I understand that when you share to social networks (most likely Facebook) wrong image and description is used, is that correct?

This is not a matter of a social sharing plugin usually but of a theme. The issue happens usually if there's no OG (Open Graph) tags included in page header (in HTML source) or these tags are malformed. Furthermore, some themes include those tags and fill them automatically and some don't - in this case additional plugin would be necessary.

That being said, I'd like to take a look at your site so could you please point me to it? I'll check it's source and hopefully this will let me give you a more accurate advice.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nicole!

Just to make sure: it's a "nicolebeholds.com" and not "nicolbeholds.com", right?

I checked the site and I can see that there are indeed two sets of "Open Graph" tags. One is coming from the theme I think and the second one is from Jetpack plugin. This should be fixed because two sets of Open Graph tags are causing issues.

Would you mind if I took a closer look at your site's dashboard? To do this I would access your site using a support access feature of our "WPMU DEV Dashboard" plugin. To allow me to do this, please follow this guide:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hello again Nicole :slight_smile:

Thank you for granting us access. I just inspected your installation and I also see these duplicated meta tags like Adam. I believe that this is happening due to the Social Media and Share Icons (Ultimate Social Media) plugin.

Would you mind to disable it to test if this issue remains?

I can see that you're using this plugin for your social links, but as you also use Jetpack (which generate the first set of meta tags for social sharing), you activate the Extra Sidebar Widgets module from Jetpack settings and then you should be able to use the Social Media Icons (Jetpack) widget for more or less the same result.

Keep in mind also the Facebook Sharing Debugger https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/
    In there, you can test any post on how will be displayed. You can also force a "Scrape again" action as I did in a blog post, which now seems to have a share image in FB.

Looking forward for your results! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Nicole

Let me start by saying I appreciate your trying to help me.

I'm pretty disappointed that one person started helping me and that another one is helping me now though. My understanding is that Dimitris was going to go in and do it for me... but as per your instructions, I did it myself though I don't know if either one of you understood my problem to begin with. Will this make a difference when I go to share an individual post? And give me the freedom to see and control what is displayed? When I go to facebook- it seems to be semi-fixed, but not when I go to share on pinterest. To me- it only looks like a visual change to my page which I don't like and will now need additional help to change the CSS. Not only that, but jetpack doesn't have additional social network links such as snapchat and RSS feed and email subscription; which were all buttons I'd like to have where the Ultimate Social Media Plug-in was. Please advise.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Nicole!

I'm pretty disappointed that one person started helping me and that another one is helping me now though. My understanding is that Dimitris was going to go in and do it for me...

Support tickets are not strictly assigned to a single person but a team rather which consists usually of 3-4 people. We're a globally distributed team working from different time-zones and this way we can cover pretty much all the day long - 24hours/7days/year. This is letting us respond faster and yet stay in close contact within a team. I hope that makes sense.

Will this make a difference when I go to share an individual post? And give me the freedom to see and control what is displayed?

Both me and Dimitris already explained you the technical side of the issue. It's not that what and how you're sharing - it's the way your site is structured, its HTML source to be precise. That's why Dimitris suggested this solution.

The point here is to sort out double set of Open Graph tags. They are used by Facebook and by Pinterest as well and some other social networks. Switching to Jetpack entirely was a "natural" solution but of course it's not the only one and if it doesn't work for you as expected we can try another way. Let me also make one thing clear please: there's no "out of the box" solution for such issues because it depends on the particular setup (a theme that is used and a set of plugins and their settings) so it's always an individual case. That's why I said "try" here :wink:

That being said, instead of switching off the plugin that you used for sharing, we could disable Jetpack Open Graph tags. As a result only a single set of those tags should be created - the one generated by your Social Media and Share Icons (Ultimate Social Media) plugin. Here are the steps:

1. Revert your setup/site's settings to as it was initially (when you posted your question) here
    2. Download and unpack a .zip file that's attached to this post
    3. Access your site by FTP and go to the "/wp-content" folder
    4. Look if there's a "mu-plugins" folder inside; if it's not there create it
    5. Upload the "jetpack-disable-og-meta.php" file for extracted .zip to the "/wp-content/mu-plugins" folder on your server.

This should disable Jetpack's Open Graph tags so only those created by Social Media and Share Icons (Ultimate Social Media) plugin will stay on site.

This should help but if any part of your site has already been shared and it still doesn't work when you share it again, you'll need to run it through Facebook Debugger as Dimitris explained here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/social-network-sharing#post-1120132

This is because Facebook likes to keep some content in their internal cache. This tool lets you clear this cache.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Nicole,

I hope you are well today! :slight_smile:

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and it's used to remotely connect to a server instance. You should have this kind of access in your server, somewhere in a email or in the administrator area of your hosting provider (which is who by the way?).
    Your server may also use some kind of control panel software, like cPanel or Plesk. You should find these FTP credentials in there.
    Either way, FTP firstly, cPanel/Plesk secondly, you can send them to us through our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/ using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -cPanel/Plesk credentials (login URL/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me. I should be able to make any changes then and try out Adam's workaround. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.