Social RSVP Twitter API/Token Error

Hi there,

I was able to successfully integrate the social RSVP option for Facebook for my Events+ plugin but not having the same sort of smooth luck with integrating Twitter.

I went to Twitter, created an app, got my consumer key, consumer secret, and tokens but it is still giving me this error:

Whoa there!

There is no request token for this page. That's the special key we need from applications asking to use your Twitter account. Please go back to the site or application that sent you here and try again; it was probably just a mistake.

+

I need help figuring out what/where I went wrong. I didn't enter a callback url . . . is that's what's causing the problem?

Thank you for the help.

• theumbrellaagency
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thank you, Jack.

Follow up question(s):

a) I noticed when testing the log-in/register via Twitter button that the email address associated with my user via Twitter is not my true email address. It is a hybrid of my user profile, the site I'm working on's url, and twitter dot com. Is there a way to load the user's true email address instead of logging one that is pretty useless to me? Or will it be sent to the user's email address registered with Twitter and that url that I am seeing will work fine?

b) Is there a way to limit what the user sees when logged into the WP dashboard/backend? I noticed that after I registered via Twitter I was able to access the dashboard and edit/create events. And other stuff that I shouldn't be able to do. The only thing I want someone who does not have an administrative role to be able to do is change what groups they want to receive emails from our eNewsletter for events.

Thank you for the help/clarification.

• theumbrellaagency

. . . . and new discovery - Yesterday the FB app integrated correctly and this morning it doesn't. The error I got is/was:

Error
    App Not Setup: The developers of this app have not set up this app properly for Facebook Login.

+

Any ideas or should I start a new thread?

B

• theumbrellaagency

**Fixed the FB error. The app worked because I was logged into my developer's profile. One needs to make the App public so that other people can use it to. In the 'Settings & Reviews' tab you should be able to click/enable the button that says, 'Make Public' or however they (Facebook) phrased it.

Mine wasn't showing as a click-able option because I hadn't added a contact email for the app yet. Once I did that I was able to go back to that page and make the app public. And all was fine there.

+

Still wondering about the other stuff though. Item a) & b) above.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @theumbrellaagency,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

a) I noticed when testing the log-in/register via Twitter button that the email address associated with my user via Twitter is not my true email address. It is a hybrid of my user profile, the site I'm working on's url, and twitter dot com. Is there a way to load the user's true email address instead of logging one that is pretty useless to me? Or will it be sent to the user's email address registered with Twitter and that url that I am seeing will work fine?

That is an interesting find, from checking my own install and searching this appears to be default behaviour with no way to change it, but I have flagged the lead developer for some clarification on that :slight_smile:

b) Is there a way to limit what the user sees when logged into the WP dashboard/backend? I noticed that after I registered via Twitter I was able to access the dashboard and edit/create events. And other stuff that I shouldn't be able to do. The only thing I want someone who does not have an administrative role to be able to do is change what groups they want to receive emails from our eNewsletter for events.

Can you let me know which user role it's giving them please? It should be giving them the "Subscriber" role so they wouldn't have access to that, the role can be modified using a plugin such as this https://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• theumbrellaagency

Hi Jack,

Thanks for confirmation about the Twitter Social RSVP situation. I just disabled it for now and hope that it gets sorted out.

As far as the user role - The default user role for all RSVPs is 'Subscriber'. I'll give this plugin a try to see if that solves things. Right now, the user can see their profile, they can see their membership groups, they can see the events (view only), and they can see the screen to add an event but the button reads 'submit for approval' or something like that.

Also, I enabled the built in user roll extension for the plugin and made sure nothing was checked off for subscriber.

Confusing.

I'll update you when I see what happens/try the suggested plugin out.

B

• theumbrellaagency

Hi Jack,

Tried out the suggested Role Editor plugin and it worked for me. Thank you for directing me to that resource.

I have one more question. I activated the Ultimate Branding plugin as well. I've been able to do everything I have wanted to do, thus far save one thing. Change the Wordpress Icon in the admin bar to a custom icon.

I tried activating the 'custom admin' option in the Ultimate Branding settings and uploaded the image I wanted (under 28px high) to one of the fields but the changes did not take so I'm not sure if I uploaded the new image to the correct field or if I need to do something else.

I've attached a screenshot of the area in the Dashboard.

Thank you!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.