Social Theme-changing intro page below header for non-logged in users?

how would i go about removing everything below the user signup block (the boy with the box over his head area) to display nothing for non-logged in users?

when i go to the customization settings and change to a static homepage it messes up the nice custom homepage with all activity, posts, widgets, etc. for logged in users.

i played with changing the static pages and its really not what i want, which is to simply remove everything below the social theme canned signup header block for non-logged in users so its neat and clean.

thanks

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Chuckedog,

Thank you for letting me know it certainly clarifies what we are trying to do here :slight_smile:

This will require a bit of custom coding to remove the coding from the index-home.php page to make this happen and to be more accurate decoding or coding removal.

So first you would want to make a copy of the index-home.php just in case things go wrong, before modifying the live file and then modify the live version to suit your tastes.

I would do it for you and test it out but this is beyond the scope of my WPMU Dev support mandate falling into the realm of custom coding.

Please advise as to the results you encounter trying to do it yourself now that you are aware of the exact file that needs “adjustment”.

Cheers, Joe

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

I am happy to send him all the custom coding he can handle.

Gee, thanks Joe :wink:

@chuckedog

This is a rather easy fix. First though, be sure you’re using the bp-social-child theme, and not the parent. Otherwise you will lose your changes when you update the theme, and will have to do them again.

Open the following file:

bp-social-child/index-home.php

If it doesn’t exist yet in your child-theme, simply copy the one from the parent to the child.

Just after

<?php /* Template Name: Homepage */
    get_header();
    ?>

…add

<?php if ( is_user_logged_in()) : ?>

Then just before

<?php get_footer(); ?>

…add

<?php endif; ?>

This will ensure that the content div container (and everything in it)on the homepage will only display to logged-in users.

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Chuckedog
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Patrick,

I tried the recipe twice. Nothing changed as content is still displaying to non-logged in users below the header??

Can you please advise? I know your’re going above and beyond on this and I appreciate that very much! :slight_smile:

Thank you,

Jaime

(a fellow friend of Bill W…:wink:

• Chuckedog
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Patrick,

Here’s what I did:

1.) made a clean bp-social-child theme on the server

2.) activated bp-social-child-theme

3.) copied index-home.php file from bp-social to bp-social-child

4.) modified index-home.php in the bp-social-child folder with the applicable code changes

to answer your questions;

1.) using bp-social-child theme which is activated

2.) modified the index-home.php file that was copied from bp-social to bp-social-child

thanks

• Chuckedog
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

You da man Patrick!

Actually the latest posts radio button was checked, but I had some other choices filled in for the drop down boxes for static?? Anyway, resaved with the drop downs as “–” and it worked. Goofy.

Thank you so much for helping me with this and being so responsive :slight_smile:

All the best

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.