Social Theme problem with Facebook like button - Need Theme Developer to help!

Here is a screenshot of the Facebook like button enabled in the theme options....It overlaps other buttons..Please tell me how to correct that and have it format properly.

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi
    open bp-social/functions.php line 266 and replaced the code with this new one

function add_stream_facebooklike_button() { ?>
    <?php if(is_user_logged_in()) { ?>
    <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=<?php bp_activity_thread_permalink() ?>&layout=standard&show-faces=true&width=450&action=like&font=arial&colorscheme=light" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" style="border:none; float: left; clear:both; margin: 20px 0px 0px; width: 400px; height: 50px; overflow:hidden;"></iframe>
    <?php } ?>
    <?php }
  • mavellino
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Ritchie,
    Again, do I do this in the parent or child theme? Btw, I already have a child functions.php with customization of some other things. So I want to make sure I put this in the right file, especially for future updates of the theme....

• mavellino

@Ritchie,
    We found out that you can not copy the contents of the parent functions.php into the child theme because no changes will work. So, we had to set up a new functions.php file in the child folder and then add individual custom code for changes...@Phil, you remember that we had to do this with Jonathan who helped me with the login problem. Everything functions great, but I need you guys to confirm again that a copy of the parent functions.php into a child theme does not work. It white screened on me. The correct way to do it is to start a new functions.php file in the child theme.....
    So now I am asking that if I have a new functions.php in the child theme which which is not a copy of the parent file, and a new one, do I just add the code above or does that code need to have anything added to it???
    Thanks guys :grinning:

• mavellino

Hi guys,
    I tried to add Ritchie's code to the child functions file and I get a white screen. @Ritchie, you wanted the code above to change the parent functions file and @Phil, you wanted me to add the code to the new child function file.
    Definitely did not work to add the exact code above to the child function file. Please advise me of what to do next!!!

• mavellino

@Phil,
    I never ended up using the child functions.php file because I put all the code changes from Jonathan into the custom login plugin instead.
    Please explain to me how to set up the child functions.php file and where to add Ritchie's code from above because what I have now does not work. So i must have so syntax error. I would rather start with a new child functions.php file and have you tell me where to put the new code above.
    Thanks
    :slight_smile:

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah sorry I mis-read Richie's original code.... So as he said,

open bp-social/functions.php line 266 and replaced the code with this new one

function add_stream_facebooklike_button() { ?>
    <?php if(is_user_logged_in()) { ?>
    <iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=<?php bp_activity_thread_permalink() ?>&layout=standard&show-faces=true&width=450&action=like&font=arial&colorscheme=light" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" style="border:none; float: left; clear:both; margin: 20px 0px 0px; width: 400px; height: 50px; overflow:hidden;"></iframe>
    <?php } ?>
    <?php }

Sorry for the confusion - that'll teach me to skim!

• mavellino

@Ritchie - noticed one other problem...Look at the attached screenshot...The alignment of the like works fine where there are posts, but it is cut off on things like "groups", "events" or activity that members join or make friends, etc....
    Please advise how to fix this and then it should be good to go!
    Thanks again :grinning:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.