socket timeout and 500 internal server error

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone that can help here.

Over the last months I have had errors socket timeout and 500 internal server error bring down my website for ave. 3 -10 mins. I am trying to run a training website that people will need to access all the time, how can I stop or at least reduce these from occurring?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Titus,

I hope you're doing fine today!

Issues like these usually mean that the server resource limits are being reached, causing the server (that might be webserver or a database or both) to go down. The first step in dealing with it is to review the setup and configuration to see whether it can be further optimized and if so, doing that.

Then, if that doesn't help it might be necessary to move to another host or hosting plan that offers more resources or a scalable environment (e.g. some cloud-based hosting).

Having that said, I'll be happy to check your site to see if (and if so, how) it could be optimized to minimize its impact on server resources. I would, however, need to access it so would you please enable support access for me?

To do this, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant support access" button there.

Let me know once you're ready, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Titus,

Hmm, that's strange, there's probably a conflict with another plugin or theme on your installation that's causing this.

Could you provide us with your admin login details so we can check both things that way?
    You can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Predrag Dubajic"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

Please respond in this thread once you submit the message.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Titus,

Thanks for sending those in, I was checking your installation and noticed some strange behavior there.
    For example, there were some updates available for your plugins and when I went to check the plugins panel I was seeing these warnings on the page:

Warning: Attempt to modify property of non-object in /wp-content/themes/launchkit/admin/wp-less.php on line 120
    Warning: array_search() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /wp-content/themes/launchkit/admin/wp-less.php on line 121
    Warning: Attempt to modify property of non-object in /wp-content/themes/launchkit/admin/wp-less.php on line 121
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /wp-includes/update.php on line 357
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /wp-includes/update.php on line 367

So I was checking your other site pages to see if there are more errors elsewhere but after visiting the plugins page again a couple of times these warnings stopped showing up, and it now shows that there are only 2 updates available.
    For example, Visual Composer has an update but that doesn't show on your site anymore while it did initially while checking your site.

I would suggest starting with disabling all your plugins and switching to default WP theme to see if all the updates are showing and then update all of your plugins/themes so they are at latest version.
    It's possible that one of them is causing these issues.

I also saw the issue with granting support but there are no errors on site or in the console that could tell us what's going on, I'm suspecting there's a conflict here as well, so when you disable your plugins and activate default theme, activate WPMU DEV plugin and see if support access is working.

Can you also enable debug log in your wp-config.php file (located in root WP folder) by replacing define('WP_DEBUG', false); with this code:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

// Disable display of errors and warnings
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Now when errors happen on your site they should be storred in /wp-content/debug.log file which you can send us so we can see what might be causing issues.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.