Solving Scholar Problems One at a Time

Hi,

I have noticed that in Firefox, when the screen is zoomed the site message moves out of place. This also happens on your preview site.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

Additional Issues with the Scholar theme brought up by @spachase

Bringing them to this thread from this thread so we can have a consolidated list of issues.

1. 3 column left bar is not where it should be.

2. The default pages such as categories are not listed in the admin area so that I can change the template to right sidebar instead of left.

3. There is no left sidebar template in case I need to fall back on using it

4. Widgets do not show in directories such as member directory sidebar.

5. The theme is retaining old information that was changed. (I did not consciously install caching)

6. When I try to edit theme options the site crashes and when I try to access it I get a single message "error". It comes back after approximately half an hour.

7. Since installing scholar the site crashes constantly and is frequently unavailable.

and permit me to add another one that I found recently

8. I have noticed that in Firefox, when the screen is zoomed the site message moves out of place. This also happens on your preview site

#1 has been addressed over on this thread.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

To save duplicating these, can we continue in those other threads as Brian mentioned they are the same issue and being addressed.

I'm only marking this thread resolved for that reason. This doesn't mean the issue is fixed, just that we're continuing in those other threads.

Thanks.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I think there may be some confusion @Timothy.

I brought these issue over here as we had several thread discussing similar and duplicate issues. This thread is a consolidated list of the issues that need to be adressed with this theme.

I'm going to re-open the thread and flag the developer so he is aware of these issues and we can begin working on a fix for them.

• 11 Plus for Parents
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Truly Guys.

I have not found a theme that I like as much as the Scholar theme. The fact that I am still here is testimony to that.

My priority would be those features (such as the one I started the ticket with) that would make the the site look unprofessional to a visitor.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

• Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi there,

Thank you for reporting the issue and for your patience.

I have looked on the issue and have worked on the fix. As I'm working to release the new version, in the mean time, you can fix it by changing some CSS. Here is the file that responsible: _inc/css/bpscholar.css

Find line 163:
    .sf-menu{float:left;margin-bottom:1em;}

Remove the margin-bottom:
    .sf-menu{float:left;}

I noticed that on your site, you add some CSS to h2, which is on line 273:
    h2{font-weight:normal;font-size:14px;text-align:left;padding:15px 0px 0px 0px;float:left;margin-top:-1em;}

Remove the float and margin-top:
    h2{font-weight:normal;font-size:14px;text-align:left;padding:15px 0px 0px 0px;}

Let me know if you have any question. I'll look on the other issues you are having. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Jeffri

• 11 Plus for Parents

@Jeffri

Thank you so much for responding. I think you have done a brilliant work with Scholar. I have not seen a theme I like better.

With your permission I would like to show you how I used your code to adapt it to my needs. Perhaps you can tell me if or how the changes can survive your next upgrade.

Thanks again.

• 11 Plus for Parents

@Jeffri

Here is part of the index file for the groups directory listing. With these changes below I have made it 3 columns with widgets on the right and left and group output in the middle.

This will allow room for Buddypress info on the left and marketing info on the right above the fold. It will also allow for consistency. The user will always have his user specific info on the left.

I then used your files as my guide to create the left and right widget areas and register them.

I did a similar thing for members and activity and I like the results.

Would you consider having an option for 3-columns in these directory listings for a future update?

Your input on these changes would be greatly appreciated:

<?php get_header() ?>
    	<?php get_sidebar('spac-groups-directory-right'); ?>
    	<div id="threecol-maincolumn">

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_directory_groups_page' ); ?>

<div id="blog-page">
    		<div class="content-page">

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_directory_groups' ); ?>

</div><!-- .padder -->

</div><!-- #content -->

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_directory_groups_page' ); ?>

</div><!-- #content -->

<?php get_sidebar('spac-groups-directory-left'); ?>
    	<div class="clear">

<?php get_footer(); ?>
  • Jeffri
    • Front End Developer

Hi @spachase

To survive the changes you made, you could utilize child theme. You can do that by copying the folder /wp-content/themes/bp-scholar/themes/bp-scholar-child to /wp-content/themes/bp-scholar-child, and activate BuddyPress Scholar Child. You can then add your changes to the child theme.

For example, in your group index example above, you can copy /bp-scholar/groups/index.php to /bp-scholar-child/groups/index.php. As long as it's retaining the same directory structure, WordPress will prioritize the child theme file with the exception of functions.php. :slight_smile: Then any update to the parent theme, it won't affect the child theme file so you can keep your changes.

I don't have the plan yet to include 3 columns option for BuddyPress page for the next version, but of course that'll be nice to have. I'll add it to the feature request in the mean time.

Thank you.

Jeffri

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings 11 Plus for Parents,

Knock, Knock - Housekeeping --> Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.