Some Issues

By default, new users are blocked out of the registration process because the plugin blocks the registration page if it has parameters tacked onto the URL. I got around this by adding it as a regular expression to my public URL group.

Once the user is allowed to register, the Paypal express button code is broken and some of it displays to the user, as shown in the attached pic.

The most major issue for me, which I seriously hope can be resolved, is that protection for subdirectory blogs does not seem to work at all. When I enable the Membership plugin, certain member blogs are displayed fully to the public, while others show a page not found error!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

Not that I have the immediate answer to your issue, but this is what I have been seeing going on from images to folders which has shown to be a direct result of folks trying to add things to Membership or setup things to be protected by membership BEFORE the Membership plugin is activated.

Site owner goes and adds his graphics to his site including the header which in this case is a slider.

He activates the Membership plugin and suddenly the graphics no longer show to include the slider.

He re-uploads the images while Membership is activated - suddenly all the graphics are working.

Now I do not know if this is the direct cure to the issues happening on your site, but it sure would be a great thing to know if in fact it is this same issue regarding your sub folders etc.

Please advise and we will keep working this until we do have the cure for the issues.

Cheers, Joe

• godot
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Joe, the issue you describe I think is caused by the plugin's upload redirection. When I first activated the plugin, all images uploaded to my site were missing, since the plugin was trying to redirect them to /downloads/ or whatever it was. I had to disable upload protection in order to correct this. This is actually another issue that needs to be corrected; it should be possible to distinguish images from other file uploads.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

To put you through as little pain as possible in our mutual attempt to resolve this issue, before I try getting the extremely stretched lead developer in here to offer advice/advise us as to what this anomaly could be, I should gather a little configuration information and we should also do a database repair just in case (due to the symptom of some sites being protected and others not, erratic behavior) and it certainly cannot hurt.

Can you please logged into the admin panel go to Membership --> Options --> Advanced and click on the Repair membership tables button, and then click on the Verify Membership tables and make sure that all the checks show a green ok.

If the above does not help please advise me of the following configuration information:
    WordPress 3.3.2?
    MultiSite or Solo
    Buddy press 1.5.5?
    Membership plugin 3-RC-2?

Cheers, Joe

• godot

Hi Joe,

All tables show okay. I ran the repair anyway for giggles with no change.

I am running WP 3.3.2 with a subdirectory multisite setup
    Buddypress 1.5.5...

But, it looks like the version I was using said just 3.0? I uploaded 3-RC-2.

This fixed the inconsistent behavior for showing sub-blogs. Now it just shows all of them. How do I protect subdirectory blogs?

It changed the way that the paypal express button is displayed, but still shows the same malformed code. Image below.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

It changed the way that the paypal express button is displayed, but still shows the same malformed code

"Subscribe" Button HTML Code in papal is setup using something like below

<form name="_xclick" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick-subscriptions">
    <input type="hidden" name="business" value="me@mybusiness.com">
    <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD">
    <input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1">
    <input type="image" src="http://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_subscribe_LG.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
    <input type="hidden" name="a3" value="5.00">
    <input type="hidden" name="p3" value="1">
    <input type="hidden" name="t3" value="M">
    <input type="hidden" name="src" value="1">
    <input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1">
    </form>

Now the a3 Value which you have defined is 6.00 in this case, but might have missed out something may be a extra " in the code before a3 ?

Please check and see if that helps

Cheers
    PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

Please advise if the above coding with the extra quote was a custom issue so to speak or do we have an extra quote bug inherent to the Membership plugin itself?

It appears you are working through ti with a plugin conflict at this moment.

@pc some rep points sent your way!

Cheers, Joe

• godot

Joe - it looks like the extra quote is caused by a plugin conflict and not a problem with the plugin.

I'm still trying to figure a way to limit access by non-members to member blogs. Let me know if you have any ideas about it.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Please go through it, the best part is that you can also exclude pages and keywords of your choice (and lol, if you have got pages option unchecked in the Automatic links tab, you wont need to exclude any :wink:

Hope it helps

Cheers
    PC

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@Joe, thanks for the rep points :slight_smile: perks are always motivating :slight_smile:

Cheers !

@godot

I'm still trying to figure a way to limit access by non-members to member blogs. Let me know if you have any ideas about it.

Found a previous resolved post for you, please check and tell if you are trying to accomplish the same?

Check the post Here

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

What I understand is that you are wanting to block access to the non members from accessing member blogs, I found the below thread which further links to the other two

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-block-access-a-sub-blog-to-all-but-subscribers

Links to

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/protecting-blogs-in-multisite-mode-not-working

And

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/restricting-url-groups

Please review if I have found the right thing for you or not, else I will do some more research later on this !

Cheers
    PC

• godot

Switching to the Infinite SEO plugin corrected the issue with the extra quote being added to the button link -- thanks PC!

I'm checking into those posts you found now. Thanks for your help!

@Joe - Yeah, it's all on the main domain, with no subdomains, so there's no common path to all member blogs.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Haven't done much of a research on the latest version, may be Joe can put some light on it

@Joe : Over to you for

It looks like those links refer to older versions of Membership.
    I wonder if there's a way to protect subdirectory blogs from non-members in 3-RC-2?

Cheers
    PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

I cannot think of any standard way to do this other then putting each blogs URL in the URL Groups, but I have thought of an out of the box solution that just may do the trick for this configuration.

What about putting the level shortcode into the theme header(s) of the sub sites?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• godot

Gr... okay, I realized that I had accidentally enabled the Membership plugin for the main blog only after I upgraded to RC2, rather than network-wide.

So now I activated it network-wide and it's back to the page not found error for protected sub-blog content.

What's more, content that should be unprotected on the main blog (it's in the Public category) is throwing up the protected content page. Meanwhile, sub-blog posts that are categorized Public are displaying to non-members.

This is all seeming pretty random :disappointed:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings godot,

The problem is here that this plugin is so versatile and does so many things that the combinations can be infinitely arranged and there is not a standard setup for anyone due to these very reasons.

One of the most challenging.

Though I do not know if this is directly relative to your setup, but i found on a fresh install and going forward things seem to work out pretty good, but on installs that it is later activated on things seem to hit the fan for those already included items but work OK for that are freshly added.

My theory being that Membership takes over the whole site but when prior things exist it has trouble determining what should be and not be.

With that said, where are we with your issues to date?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• godot

Hi Joe,

I couldn't make heads or tales of what I was seeing from the Membership plugin, so I've given up on it for now. My site is Buddypress with subfolder blogs (relabeled "Journals") that I want to hide from non-members, while still having a visible list of recent posts via the Sitewide Tags plugin.

I decided that membership fees aren't important to me at this phase of the project, so instead I made the site invite-only and set the blogs to private using the More Privacy Options plugin. I just put up a page telling people to email me if they want an account -- there won't be any spammers this way, at least.

Maybe in a couple more versions I'll give Membership a try again, but for now it was just too confusing for me.

Cheers,
    Godot

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.