Some Multisite Analytics subdomain questions

As I've been talking about now for a while, I'm migrating a bunch of sites into a WordPress multi-site install. I'm setting this up as a subdirectory install rather than a subdomain install because the five sites are related and I operate each of them.

So, first, a basic question. Can Multisite Analytics handle subdirectories with unique UA codes the same way it can handle subdomains? Can it handle subdirectories at all (figured I should ask)?

Now, let's punch it up a bit. I have domains a.com, b.com, and c.com and my new multi-site is located at z.com. Once the sites are migrated, they'll be at z.com/a, z.com/b, and z.com/c. Now, I also have currently active UA codes for each, so a.com is UA-222222-1 and b.com is UA-222222-2, and c.com is UA-222222-3.

If I move these sites over, can I attach all of the z.com traffic (and all the subdomains) to, say, UA-222222-4 and then still track the three other UA codes individually for the individual subdirectory-based sites?

Be kinda cool if it'll work.

Also, I read in another post that there was some problem tracking pageviews and visits for remapped domains. Is this an issue for subdirectories, or could I trust this plugin to do the tracking I need?

As always, thankee mucho.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings David,

So, first, a basic question. Can Multisite Analytics handle subdirectories with unique UA codes the same way it can handle subdomains? Can it handle subdirectories at all (figured I should ask)?

I would imagine that it would handle sub directories just as well as sub domains.

If I move these sites over, can I attach all of the z.com traffic (and all the subdomains) to, say, UA-222222-4 and then still track the three other UA codes individually for the individual subdirectory-based sites?

Multisite Analytics gives traffic from the main site and entire network to the network admin as well as stats for the individual sub sites. This neat plugin allows you to simply enter your ‘UA’ code into a new field in Site Admin > Options AS WELL AS allowing your users to enter their code in Settings > Google Analytics. And, they will both work together!

Also, I read in another post that there was some problem tracking pageviews and visits for remapped domains. Is this an issue for subdirectories, or could I trust this plugin to do the tracking I need?

Which post was that and what was the resolution of the post itself?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings David,

Thank you for pointing that out to me. It appears that the two lead developers on that ticket have not resolved the issue yet as they are collecting the data.

You may want to pay attention to their results and since there are indeed two lead developers on it, personally I could not ask for much more except maybe a third ... lol

Cheers, Joe

• David
    • The Crimson Coder

While we're on the topic, I was a bit concerned about this part of your answer:

I would imagine that it would handle sub directories just as well as sub domains.

The "I would imagine" does not inspire confidence. I can imagine just as well as the next geek, but I'd like to know if it was designed to do that and has been tested successfully in doing that. If you don't know, could you please track down someone who can answer that definitively?

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings David,

If you don't know, could you please track down someone who can answer that definitively?

Not a problem, I will certainly try to get the lead developer in here with his insight asap to answer this question:

David, it is not that I do not know, which I do not because I have not tested it and I do not have both sub domain and sub directory installs, but it is the fact that I do not want to know.

I do not want to give Google any of my data for free to use against me in there marketing efforts and their relentless expansion into everyone's market.

Therefore I use LBAK User Tracking plugin instead giving me the data I am interested in and keeping it out of the hands of the potential threat to my web activities.

I have indeed pinged the lead developer for an answer.

Cheers, Joe

• David
    • The Crimson Coder

No problem, Joe. I do understand wanting to avoid Google's grasp. But since I was asking a support question about the specific plugin provided, I kinda need a support-level answer answered. Heh, funny how that is! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I appreciate your pinging the dev. Lemmee know when you know.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi David,

Multisite Analytics works for subdomain or subdirectory type multi sites. So you can have sites like z.com/a, z.com/b, z.com/c or a.z.com, b.z.com, c.z.com

The problem about mapped domain networks is coming from the limitation of HTML about reading cookies cross-domain. You cannot read a cookie set by a.com from z.com, even if both of them are your websites. Actually this is a safety rule, rather than a limitation.

Therefore using Analytics in such networks requires special considerations and only this case (mapped domain networks) is not supported by Multisite Analytics at the moment.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.