Some questions about how it works

I have used Pro Sites but it did not work in an acceptable manner. What I want to do is provide a range of themes that have already been setup so that when the user activates the theme, it will not need to be setup.
However, I will be using the WHMCS plugin that will allow a child site to be ordered. What I want to know is if this plugin will still allow the user to select a theme and have all the settings sent over from the original child site where I created the template for this plugin.

Would the user be given the option when they order, when they login or only if they ordered from the mu site.

If the user selects a new theme, would it again move the settings over if that theme had a template created for it?

If there is any way to make this plugin work in conjunction with the whmcs plugin, please let me know.

Many thanks

• Mason

Hiya @BusinessOnlinePH

Let's see if we can find a solution here:

I will be using the WHMCS plugin that will allow a child site to be ordered. What I want to know is if this plugin will still allow the user to select a theme and have all the settings sent over from the original child site where I created the template for this plugin.

The answer is not quite yet. We're planning to integrate Pro Sites levels into WHMCS packages. Combining this with New Blog Templates should get it done. Users can currently select a New Blog Template as part of your sign up process along with Pro Sites.

Would the user be given the option when they order, when they login or only if they ordered from the mu site.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. If you're using WHMCS it doesn't currently link up with New Blog Templates so there's no spot to select this. They only have the WHMCS options available and would sign up through that interface.

If the user selects a new theme, would it again move the settings over if that theme had a template created for it?

No. There's no way to do this currently. In order to get a completely "setup" theme they'd have to cancel and signup again with a different Blog Template.

Hope that helps. We've done a lot of work in this area, but bringing all of these powerful plugins together and integrating them to match use cases like this is going to take a bit of work.

Thanks!

• BusinessOnlinePh

Ack, that is a bit of a shame.

It does not need to be integrated directly. I think that all you need is one option in pro sites that would provide the customer with a list of options when they logged in so that they could select the options that they wanted when they first logged into their account.

Can we force a re-selection of the theme when the user logs in? Maybe we could direct them to a specific page so that they can select what they want.

• Mason

Hiya,

Currently, if you are only using Pro Sites and New Blog Templates then you can allow for the Template selection during signup. The issue comes when using WHMCS or when wanting to attach a particular Pro Site "level" to a template. We don't have that level of integration built in just yet.

Our WHMCS plugin is one of our newest offerings. We've got a lot of features in the pipeline for it - just a matter of being able to give the developers time to put it together.

Depending on the theme that you want setup with certain options by default all the time, you could also hand-code the default values for the theme options. This way, it does activate with the defaults you desire.

The advantage of this is that it would also be available to change when/if the user decides to switch the theme down the road. New Blog Template is mean to be a template used during site creation, it's really not meant to handle theme options when switching themes.

Does that help/make sense? Let us know. Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings BusinessOnlinePh,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

• BusinessOnlinePh

Sorry for my late reply, I have been very busy lately.

Depending on the theme that you want setup with certain options by default all the time, you could also hand-code the default values for the theme options. This way, it does activate with the defaults you desire.

The advantage of this is that it would also be available to change when/if the user decides to switch the theme down the road. New Blog Template is mean to be a template used during site creation, it's really not meant to handle theme options when switching themes.

That is very interesting. I am not sold to the idea of New Blog Template. How would I save options for themes so that the options were present when the theme was switched to? This way I could give all users a default theme and have them select the one they want to use when they login. That would be fantastic.

• Mason

Hiya,

How would I save options for themes so that the options were present when the theme was switched to?

Depends on the theme options :wink:

I did find this article which is pretty great at breaking everything down:
    http://www.onedesigns.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-wordpress-theme-options-page

The other option would be to use an if else statement in the theme. So you could check for a value (the theme option entered by thee user) and if it doesn't exist, spit out whatever the default content is that you like.

Either way you'd have to do this theme by theme. Depending on the number of theme options it could be time consuming, but I believe would give you exactly what you're looking for with the ability to switch themes.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.