I have a few questions about using the PayPal Single Payments Gateway on my website.
DETAILS OF MY WEBSITE:
- I would like to set up a membership site where a user registers and can purchase a membership to access special pages.
- I plan on offering the membership access for 1 year.
- If the user wants to continue to receive the access to the special pages, he needs to manually purchase another 1 year membership.
- I do not want automatic renewal; I want the user to renew manually.
- Based on my research, it seems that the PayPal Single Payments Gateway is the one I want.
#1) Since I am using PayPal Single Payments Gateway and want the user to have the special access for 1 year, I assume I should set the Mode of the Subscription plan to Finite, and the Period to 1 Year .
- Is this correct?
- I assume Serial is only for use with the PayPal Payments Standard Gateway, which uses automatic renewals?
#2) If the user does not manually renew after 1 year, will they just lose access to the special access of the website, and automatically be placed in the subscription I chose for "Default subscription for registered users" that I chose on the Membership Options page?
#3) On the Membership Options > Configuration page, for the Membership Renewal option, does this mean that the button to manually renew the subscription won't display on the user's account until the number of days pass for the value I choose?
- So if I choose 351 Days, does that mean the user won't see the renew button until essentially 2 weeks before the membership expires?
#4) Also on the Membership Options > Configuration page, for the Membership Upgrade option, does apply to the PayPal Single Payments Gateway and/or the Finite subscription plan?
- If it doesn't, should I just choose 0 Days?
- If it does apply in my case, what number should I choose?
- There is no upgrading on my site; all a user can do is pay one price to get access to special pages for 1 year.
#5) If the user manually renews before the membership expires, will the renewal not take place until the current membership expires, or will it begin the moment they renew?
- So if the membership is for 365 Days, and the user renews on Day 350, will the new 1 year membership begin immediately, thus the user would lose those 15 days because he renewed early?
#6) Does the Communications feature of the Membership plugin work with sites that use the PayPal Single Payments Gateway with the Finite Mode?
- If so, if I create a communications to email members before a subscription expires, should I also make sure that the Membership Renewal value on the Membership Options > Configuration page matches the timetable of the communication?
- So if I have a communication get sent out 7 days before a subscription expires, should I also set the Membership Renewal value to 358 Days (which is 365-7)?
#7) For testing purposes, I set the Mode to Finite, the Period to 2 Days, and the Price to $1.00.
- On my website, after the user creates an account, the text at the bottom of the membership subscription box says this: "You will pay: $1.00 every 2 days"
- Is it supposed to say that?
- That text seems like it would be for an automatic renewal plan, right?
- Because if I am using PayPal Single Payments Gateway and forcing the user to manual renew, why would it say the user would pay something every X number of days?
- If its not supposed to show that text, is there something wrong with my website?
Thank you very much.