Some themes are using outdated jquery files

Hi. I noticed that some themes are also loading their own jquery file, which is outdated and sometimes conficts with plugins.
The themes are:
-Oceanwide theme: uses local jquery file. jQuery 1.1.4
-jQ theme: uses local juery v1.3.2
-mandigo jQuery 1.2.6
-oceanmist jQuery 1.1.4

My question are
1. Is it safe to remove the reference to those files (since the blog also load the default jquery.js from /wp-includes)
2. If yes, in header.php should I move the other *.js below wp_head()? Do I have to keep the <script lan...> call to the other scripts as it is now or is it OK to add them to the wp_enqueue_script instead?
3. Is it also safe to update the other *.js files which are used in those themes
e.x. cycle.js in oceanmist with http://malsup.github.io/jquery.cycle.all.js?

Thanks in advance
Lena

• aristath

Hello again @stergatu!

1. Is it safe to remove the reference to those files (since the blog also load the default jquery.js from /wp-includes)

Yes, it's safe.

2. If yes, in header.php should I move the other *.js below wp_head()? Do I have to keep the <script lan...> call to the other scripts as it is now or is it OK to add them to the wp_enqueue_script instead?

Well, it depends... If I remember correctly some scripts like modernizr must be loaded before jquery. Other scripts that are jQuery-dependent should be moved after it.
    And yes, it's ok to add them using wp_enqueue_script();

3. Is it also safe to update the other *.js files which are used in those themes

I would say yes... and in some cases even necessary for them to play nicely with the latest jQuery that you'll be using.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

• stergatu

Fix for Mandigo theme.

1. On header.php.
    Comment or delete the 2 lines

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $dirs['www']['js'];?>jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $dirs['www']['js'];?>jquery.ifixpng.js"></script>

2. on functions.php add the following after the load_theme_textdomain... line

function add_mandigo_js_script() {
    wp_enqueue_script('ifixpng', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/jquery.ifixpng.js', array('jquery'));
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_mandigo_js_script');

3. delete (if you want) from folder js the file jquery.js

• stergatu

Fix for Oceanwide theme.
    1. On header.php.
    Delete the 2 lines 53-54

<script src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory');?>/js/jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/js/cycle.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

2. On functions.php
    Add on line 14 the following:

function add_oceanwide_js_script() {
            wp_enqueue_script('cycle', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/cycle.js', array('jquery'));
        }
       add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_oceanwide_js_script');

• stergatu

Fix for Oceanmist theme.
    1. On header.php
    Move line 66
    <?php wp_head(); ?> at line 48.

Delete the lines 46-47

<script src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/js/jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/js/cycle.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

2. On functions.php add at line 14 the following:

function add_oceanmist_js_script() {
        wp_enqueue_script('cycle', get_template_directory_uri() . '/js/cycle.js', array('jquery'));
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_oceanmist_js_script');

• stergatu

Fix for jQ theme.
    This is a little more tricky.
    1. Visit https://github.com/joeldbirch/superfish/ and download
    from https://github.com/joeldbirch/superfish/tree/master/src/js the files:
    - superfish.js
    -supersubs.js

from https://github.com/joeldbirch/superfish/tree/master/src/css download the file
    -superfish.css

2. Replace your themes lib/js/ files with the new ones superfish.js
    supersubs.js and the file lib/css/superfish.css

3. Open files /lib/js/theme.js and /lib/js/fontResizer.js and replace
    $(document).ready(function()
    with
    jQuery(document).ready(function ($)

4. On header.php delete the lines 30-35

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/superfish.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/supersubs.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/cookies.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/fontResizer.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/lib/js/theme.js"></script>

5. On functions.php add on line 17 the following

function add_jq_js_script() {

wp_enqueue_script('superfish', get_template_directory_uri() . '/lib/js/superfish.js', array('jquery'));
        wp_enqueue_script('supersubs', get_template_directory_uri() . '/lib/js/supersubs.js', array('jquery'));
        wp_enqueue_script('cookies', get_template_directory_uri() . '/lib/js/cookies.js', array('jquery'));
        wp_enqueue_script('fontResizer', get_template_directory_uri() . '/lib/js/fontResizer.js', array('jquery'));
        wp_enqueue_script('theme', get_template_directory_uri() . '/lib/js/theme.js', array('jquery'));
    }
    add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_jq_js_script');

6. Delete (if you want) from folder /lib/js the file jquery.js

Bests Lena

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.