Spammed blog disappears from BuddyPress table. Is this an Anti-Splog or BP issue?

Hi Aaron,

I ran across a problem and need help to figure out whether the issue lies with Anti-Splog or BuddyPress.

On a local install, I have WP 3.1, BuddyPress 1.2.8 and Anti-Splog 1.0.7

I create 2 subdomain blogs in succession from one user. The first is spammed, but appears in the Site list as expected. I also see the blog id in the BuddyPress table wp_bp_user_blogs - so far so good.

The second blog is also spammed and I note that it also appears in the Site list and the wp_bp_user_blogs table.

The problem is that on creation of the second blog, the first blog's entry is removed from the wp_bp_user_blog table!

Unspamming either or both blogs from the Site list does not recover this entry from the table and this first blog is never again accessible by the user.

Is Anti-Splog causing or directing BuddyPress to remove the first blogs's entry from wp_bp_user_blogs? Or is this purely a BuddyPress issue with Anti-Splog simply marking the blogs and letting BP decide what to remove?

Thanks,

Scott

• BlueSkies
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Aaron,

The BuddyPress team recommended that I try disabling the Anti-Splog plugin to see if the problem goes away (spamming blog from Dashboard deletes entries in BP table wp_bp_user_blogs).

When I disabled Anti-Splog, the problem did go away. When I enabled it, the problem resurfaced.

I dug deeper and discovered that setting "Spam/Unspam Blog Users" to Yes causes this problem, while setting it to No fixes the issue.

I don't think that this setting is working quite correctly. It seems to have the side effects described in this thread and also http://trac.buddypress.org/ticket/3101

Could you take a look?

Thanks,

Scott

• BlueSkies

Aaron,

More information. I tried to simplify my setup and eliminate the possibility that another plugin was contributing to the problem.

I tried a new install with only BuddyPress and Anti-Splog as plugins (latest versions).

I saw the same behaviour with the "Spam/Unspam Blog Users" setting.

Scott

• BlueSkies

Hi Aaron,

Without Anti-Splog, the problem isn't there to begin with:

With only BP installed, spamming a blog from the Dashboard does not affect the entry in the table wp_bp_user_blogs - the entry is still there. Unspamming a blog from the Dashboard has no affect on this table, but it doesn't have to since the wp_bp_user_blogs entry still exists.

Only with Anti-Splog active, and "Spam/Unspam Blog Users" set to Yes, does the blog entry get removed from wp_bp_user_blogs (upon spamming the blog).

Let me know if there is any further information I can gather - happy to help as much as I can.

Scott

• BlueSkies

Hi Aaron,

I removed Anti-Splog and created a couple more user blogs. At this point only BuddyPress was installed as a plugin. I then spammed the user from the Dashboard. I noticed that the blog entries were deleted from wp_bp_user_blog. I then unspammed the user as you suggested. The blog entries were not restored.

If I follow what I think you are implying, with "Spam/Unspam Blog Users" set to Yes in Anti-Splog, it was the effect of spamming the user that was causing the problem. When a blog was spammed, initiated either from the Dashboard or from Anti-Splog, Anti-Splog was causing the user to be spammed with this setting. At this point, BuddyPress was apparently taking the action to remove the table entries when the user was spammed.

Does this sound correct? If this is the case it may be a BuddyPress bug?

Scott

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.