Spamming disguised as your Servers IP

Hi there.

Seems like the latest attacks and spamming register as our servers IP address.

New user registration, comments and browsing of webpages is registered as your own IP address.

Any suggestions around this?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Ezra,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

I am not sure if I understood it clearly. Do you mean that the IP addresses of the spammers is same as your server ?

Please advise.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• Ez
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Yes. First we had very high traffic on the stats reports from the same IP as the server. My hosting company claimed it was something to do with my RSS feeds that caused it.

Then I installed a plugin: Register IP that register the IP address for new users and lowering the “new user registration security”. Noticed shortly after this the “fake” user name. They all created on the same day with the same IP address of my server.

Currently we have major issues with spamming and attacks on some of our sites.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ezra,

Greetings and thanks for posting back.

Well, there can be many reasons behind it !

It can be a bad script on your website which came with a free plugin/theme

Perhaps a bad script on the server which came from somewhere else ?

As the originating IP is your servers IP you can’t block that too else you will lock yourselves out. I reckon you should get in touch with your host and ask him to help you trace where that traffic is actually coming from ?

If you remember anything you did the day the problem started, you can try to undo that.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ezra,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

Was a FREE Forum plugin that I used – create a “zinger” director on the server when you installed it that caused this issue.

So we thought right :slight_smile: Glad you found the issue.

Cheers

PC

Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.