speeding up coursepress and marketpress

Hi,

I host with WPEngine.com and they ran some speed tests, results of which are as follows:

We noticed that PHP execution time is taking 18.60 seconds, and is causing drag on your page load.
Here's a breakdown to help you identify and resolve the root cause of the issue:
PHP Core code took 6.67 seconds to execute
The 'coursepress-theme' theme took 0.01 seconds to execute
25 plugins took 11.91 seconds to execute. The three slowest plugins:
'coursepress' took 4.741 seconds to execute
'marketpress' took 2.972 seconds to execute
'bb-plugin' took 1.005 seconds to execute

They asked me to ask the plugin developer (WPMU) what was the best way to significantly speed up the coursepress+marketpress plugin?

Thanks,

David

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today!

How many courses do you have setup? Could you grant support access so we can have a closer look at your setup. That should help us find what parts are causing the long load times.

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey David,

Thanks for doing that! Are you finding any pages specifically that are loading slow? Just seeing if we can find a query that is taking especially long to load and improve that. I logged in and had a look and the site does seem to be loading a little slow but most pages loaded about the same speed.

I'm going to message our CoursePress developer about this too just to get their valuable feedback as well, I hope you don't mind that I've extended the support access to make sure the access is open in-case they want to login and take a look.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• David
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey @Tyler Postle,

I have extended Support Access even further. Thanks for looking into this. Would be great if we could solve it.

Um, I would say that the whole site is slow, not particular pages. Especially the back end when saving new pages, its very slow. But the front end is also slow and there doesn't seem to be a pattern, just seems like all pages are slow.

If you tell me exactly what commend to run in Shell or whatever, I can ask WPEngine to run it for us so we can figure out what queries specifically are causing the most trouble. Just let me know.

Really keen to figure this out. And by the way, just to add on, it seems to be the COMBO of CoursePress and MarketPress that is BOTH slow, so maybe we should think of it that way?

Thanks,

David

• Jose
    • Bruno Diaz

Hello there David,

Hope you are doing great.
    It sounds weird to me that the core itself takes 6 seconds to load. That's huge.

Coursepress is a havy plugin by nature -there are a lot of routines for completion and progress that are resource consuming- but this sounds quite to much even taking this into consideration.

Wondering if the core still takes 6 seconds to load with plugins deactivated.

It would be great if you can activate the Staging site provided by WPEngine so that we can run some test there without affecting your live site.

Please advise.

Cheers,
    José

• David

Hi @Jose,

Thank you so much for looking into it. It means a lot to us and our customers :slight_smile:

I have activated Staging and extended Support Access. Please feel free to toy with Staging all you need. Is there any other way I can facilitate? E.g. do you need SFTP access to Staging or something?

Thanks,

David

• Jose
    • Bruno Diaz

Hi David,

Yes please send me the following information for your staging site via contact form :

- In the subject field add "Attn: Jose”
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WP admin/network access and login url. (should be something like your_user.staging.wpengine.com)
    - Include FTP host and credentials.

On the contact form, select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

Cheers,
    José

• David

Hi @Jose

I hope this finds you well and your day is all good :slight_smile:

Any update, discovered how we could sort this out? Do you need any further access from me, maybe phpmyadmin, SSH or something?

Thanks,

David

• David

Hi @Jose,

Just an update: I switched from CoursePress theme to another theme called SociallyViral. I am still using CoursePress plugin and MarketPress plugin. Suddenly, the site is fast!!! The pugins are fine, but the theme itself was bogging down the server, not sure why. But all is well now. Thanks!

David

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Ben,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear its causing issue with you too but would you mind starting your own thread instead of posting in other resolved thread.

Its recommended to do this for any questions, if a thread is relevant to your issue then post the link of that thread for reference. It helps us track each issue separately and also helps other members find an answer in future easily.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Sajid J

• Ben
    • The Reaper

@Sajid

The point of me posting is that this thread should not be considered resolved as MarketPress is still having speed issues and I wanted that to be brought to the attention of WPMU as there has not been any updates to address these issues. I believe the issue has to do with the shopping cart, extra unnecessary queries on the product variations when listing products, and unnecessary image resizing that perhaps reveals itself more when using a CDN.

I have made another post in regards to these issues, but I thought perhaps this member did more than change his theme and I wanted to see if perhaps he had more clarification on what caused the speed change.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.