Speeding up my site...

Can you help me speed up my site? not sure where to start! I am currently smushing my images. I have taken a look at minification but don't want to mess anything up so now stuck...

Sajid

Hello Tom Austin,
    Hope you are doing good today and warm welcome to WPMU DEV

The first thing I noticed on your site is image optimization. I know you have find it already so once please install WP Smush Pro plugin and smush/optimze all of your images. Once done, then come back to Hummingbird -> Performance Report and run the test again for updated instructions.

Minification is one of most important and also unfortunately not-one-click performance improvement of a website.

To eliminate render blocking and minify CSS/JS, please follow the steps below.

1. Enable Minification from WP Dashboard -> Hummingbird -> Minification.

2. Once enabled, disable Minify and Combine option from Bulk Update section (see screenshot).

This will get your site back to original.

3. Now Minify, Combine Each and reposition files one by one and keep checking the front-end to make sure everything is working fine (this is important - it can break the front-end of your site if not configured correctly).

If some thing went wrong, then come back to minification page, revert the change and try a different combination.

I know it is cumbersome and not one click solution, but trust me we have made it easier as much as we could. Since each site have its own set of themes and plugins and have a different hosting setup that make it impossible to predict and setup a one click solution to work on all sites out of the box.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance

Best Regards,
    Sajid - WPMU DEV Support