Spirit and upfront reset my site look and feel

Hi,

I just tried to upgrade spirit and upfront and go my website broken. I was able to restore it however this is very frustrating experience.
I tried it again and got the same result.

please advise how I can upgrade the theme without braking my site.

thanks,

David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, Michael here!

I'd be glad to help you get this sorted, would you happen to have a test site where this could be replicated? That'd really help to get this upgraded properly, and compare the changes made with the live site.

If you don't have a test site presently, but are able to set up another WordPress install, you could use our Snapshot Pro plugin to create a copy of your site, which could be restored onto another site:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

And could you enable Support Access to the test site please? :slight_smile:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• David

Hi Michael,
    thanks for the quick response,
    I have a testing environment, however I dint use it... not good...
    you can see it at http://demo.dazonet.com/DaZoTest
    this environment is simulating the current live environment. the spirit and upfront are not up to date their. you can run the update and see the behavior...

on the same note I noticed that when I first updated the upfront the Showcase theme was installed with it and replaced the spirit theme, this totally throw me off as I had didn't want that. it will be great if you can delete the Showcase theme before you run the update and see if this actually the case. if installing an update of upfront change the default theme to Showcase theme this is not good.

I have granted access to support.
    keep me posted.

Thanks,

David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, no problem, thanks for granting the Support Access! :slight_smile:

I didn't see that the Showcase theme replaced the Spirit theme when I tried doing an update, so it seems like that issue's passed for now.

As for the styling issue on upgrading, I do see what you mean there, and was able to bring back the style of your header menu by inserting this CSS code into the style for the menu element in the header:

div[data-style='horizontal'] ul.menu, div[data-style='vertical'] ul.menu {
        background-color: black;
    }

And as for the footer, I was able to sort that out by creating a new element style for the menu there, and inserting this CSS code into it:

div[data-style='horizontal'] ul.menu, div[data-style='vertical'] ul.menu {
        background-color: transparent;
    }
    div[data-style='horizontal'] ul.menu > li.menu-item > a, div[data-style='vertical'] ul.menu > li.menu-item > a {
        font-family: Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif;
        color: rgba(0,206,141,1);
    }
    div[data-style='horizontal'] ul.menu > li.menu-item:hover > a, div[data-style='vertical'] ul.menu > li.menu-item:hover > a {
        color: black;
    }

Could you let me know how that looks please? :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• David

Hi Micahel,
    Thanks for providing the CSS code.
    Its not perfect as I still missing the LinkedIn and Email buttons on the top right..
    also, the process of running an update and then updating the CSS manually is not ideal.
    is this is a bug? will this process change in the future?
    is there away to create a child theme with upfront? I thought upfront solve the need for a child theme.

also, please confirm you deleted the Showcase theme before running the update.

please advise,
    thanks,

David

• Michael Bissett

Hey @David, my apologies for the extreme delay on this one! :slight_frown:

Its not perfect as I still missing the LinkedIn and Email buttons on the top right..

After having a fresh look at things, I see that you had asked previously about inserting icons of your own over here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-get-linkedin-social-icon-in-upfront-spirit#post-925537

Since you inserted the icons for the LinkedIn and Email buttons into the folder for Spirit itself, they were wiped out when Spirit was updated.

I'd advise uploading those icons again, placing them in a folder outside of the theme folders for Spirit & Upfront, so that your icons aren't wiped out on an update to either Spirit or Upfront. You'll want to change the path to the images in your CSS code as well, to point to the new upload location.

also, the process of running an update and then updating the CSS manually is not ideal.
    is this is a bug? will this process change in the future?

After looking into this further, yep, it is a bug, which a fix should be released for soon, so you won't need to update the CSS like this in the future. :slight_smile:

is there away to create a child theme with upfront? I thought upfront solve the need for a child theme.

Upfront would be the parent theme, and Spirit would be the child theme here. We are working on a means for users to create their own child themes (our Upfront Builder), so that's in development.

also, please confirm you deleted the Showcase theme before running the update.

Yep, I can confirm that I deleted the Showcase theme before I ran the update. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.