spirit customisation

I have accidentely customised my theme with what I wanted on home page. Now same things appear on every page - no idea how to fix it. Am I best to just clear it all and start again from scratch? How? Any help gratefully received.

• Huzaifah

Hello.

What you have most likely done is made a change to the template file of your theme. Remember that template files load across your theme on all pages that specify them.... so making a change to a template file will duplicate along all pages.

What you want to do is duplicate the template file (change its name, and the template name inside the file to something else - not home.php as that is reserved for Wordpress, maybe homepage.php) and then assign that template to the home page.

I hope that helps

• Huzaifah

Ok. Firstly ensure you make a backup of your website before doing this.

Secondly, ensure you are using a child theme so these changes don't revert once you update the theme.

You want to login to FPT, and find the template file that you initially changed. You want to duplicate that, and then change the line which says template name, change that value to something custom.

You also want to rename the .php file to something new, (avoid calling it home.php, index.php, page.php or anything like that - maybe mycustomtemplate.php)

That's it, you are done :slight_smile:

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Bron,

Since this question is related to our product I've moved it from Members to Support forum.

Just a note, when you're customizing existing child themes make sure that you're using Upfront Editor and not Upfront Builder.

Changes made in UF Builder are saved directly in theme files and will be overwritten by theme update.
    UF Editor changes are on other hand saved in DB and are not affected by child theme updates.

The change you made, did you made sure that you've done it inside standard region and not a global region?
    If you have same global region on multiple pages then changing it on either of those will affect that region on each page it's used on.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Bron,

Can you give some more info about the things you did?

Did you made changes via Upfront Builder or Upfront Editor?
    As mentioned previously, all changes made to our UF child themes should be done via Upfront Editor and not the Builder in order to keep your changes after the update.

Did you check that the changes you made to home page are not done in global regions?
    Global regions that are on multiple pages are syncing with each other, for example, if you have global header region and you change header in home page it will affect all header regions on your site.

Have you checked Upfront documentation and our Upfront Academy course for learning more how Upfront works?

Best regards,
    Predrag