Spirit theme and memberpress compatability issue

Hi there,

I've been using the spirit (upfront) theme for a while, and the latest update is giving some major headaches. When it was recently updated it created a new incompatibility issue where the memberpress plug in is spewing up multiple instances of items all over the accounts, login and units page. I've discussed it with them at length and the issue appears to be coming from upfront.

When I change the theme it goes away
I've tried turning off all of the plug ins and it doesn't affect it
The only errors:
- "Google API appearing multiple times on this page" and this has been there from the start
- Qh[a] is not a function

Thanks,
Nick

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Nick, I trust you are well!

I'm sorry to hear about this issue you having.

The Memberpress is a paid plugin and I cannot test it further.

Would you please send the plugin directly to our email contact@wpmudev.org so we can check it out?

Please add in subject line my name, to ensure that it gets assigned to me

Subject: “Attn: Anastasia”
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Under what circumstances this issue appears. (When a user is viewing his profile, or on the user registrotion page?)
    - Any other relevant urls/information

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the rapid response.

Bit more info:
    - The issue is appearing at all times; regardless of enrolment status - for users looking to register and for those looking to log in.
    - The information on all pages which display member press information are affected (be it sign in, course unit, or become a member).
    - The page content is appearing in multiple sections; header, footer, etc.

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Nick

Thanks for letting us know in details about the issues you are having.

If Upfront is creating any issue, I believe we can help you solve it.

As you said "the memberpress plug in is spewing up multiple instances of items all over the accounts, login and units page", can you please give us the link or screenshot of where we can see the error in action? I tried to login with Support Access but when I'm already logged in, I can't check the register/login process. And you have a "Maintenance Mode" plugin installed so I can't check those pages when I'm not logged in. Is there anyway you could disable the plugin so that I could check the login/register page?

Moreover, can you please give us links/screenshot where member press information are affected and content is appearing in multiple sections?

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply - sounds good to me!

The problems are occurring for both users who are logged in and those who aren't.

The screenshots show three images from the same page, the header, content and the footer (that's when I'm logged in as an admin on the /account page).

It's doing it on the /register/full-member/ and any pages that have units (screenshot included). The picture of the unit page is the one where it says I can't access this yet, but is a good example, because it shows the 5 or so instances of the red box and button when there is only supposed to be one!

I've disabled the maintenance app

Cheers,
    nick

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Kasia,

Thanks for that. The link to the dropbox file is coming up as an error 404 page not found. I sent an email 'Attn: Anastasia' with the plugin as attachment. Looking forward to getting it up and going again.

Thanks,
    nicko

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello @Nick, I hope you are well!

I'm afraid the Memberpress plugin you're using is premium and requires an activation key in order to function.
    Have you contacted the plugin developer? Perhaps this is something they can resolve on their end...
    Otherwise, we'll have to test everything on your live server since the plugin is already activated there, and your license can only be activated on 1 site.

Would you please send us your credentials so we can have a closer look?

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: “Attn: Anastasia”
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Select “I have a different question” for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

I will also have sent it to our developers to have a look.

Have a nice day!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Nastia,

Thank you Kasia for the download. I'll leave the most recent one up for now whilst we're still debugging, and upload it if no solutions are found.

Thanks Nastia. I've contacted the plug in guys and asked for a second temporary licence for easier debugging, and will update as available. In the meantime, feel free to use the live site, as it's not available to the whole interweb yet. This was my most recent correspondence with the memberpress team:

Hi Nicholas,

I tried enabling force Global CSS which normally helps when you problems with your themes, but that did nothing. I also tried enabling the "disable rewrite rules" but again nothing, and again nothing with both of them enabled at the same time.

I am seeing this error message (- "Google API appearing multiple times on this page" [Nicko's comment: this has been there from the start, so I suspect it's not this]
    AND
    - Qh[a] is not a function)

Try contacting your theme editor or your host server about those messages. Specifically the top one with Google Maps API. Is that something you actively use on your site/those pages? I can't see anything, but if you do and I just don't know where to look, eliminate the duplicate API's

I've emailed you through the secure contact form and granted you admin access, including to the FTP

Two other points I may have mentioned earlier in the thread:
    - turning off all the plug ins - no difference
    - changing theme to standard (2014, I think it was) and working without errors

Many thanks for your help,
    Nicko

• Nick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi guys,

As an update from the member press guys:

Hi Nicholas,

I'm pretty sure I know what's happening. It would appear the theme author is using "the_content" filter in various parts of the theme. MemberPress overrides that filter to show our own custom content. That filter was designed to be used for post/page/cpt output only, so I would recommend that your theme author look into creating his own filter method for the other areas of the theme which he can call instead of relying on the_content filter. Below is a simple example which does the same thing as the_content filter:

function my_custom_filter($content = '') {
    $content = wptexturize($content);
    $content = convert_smilies($content);
    $content = convert_chars($content);
    $content = wpautop($content);
    $content = shortcode_unautop($content);
    $content = prepend_attachment($content);

return $content;
    }

I won't change anything on the site for the time-being in case you're tinkering. Hope that helps.

Nick

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Nick, I hope you are well today!

Thank you for sending your credentials to us!

I have informed a Second Level Support about this issue. As soon as there’s an update on this issue, the SLS staff or myself will post back on this thread with an update. Please note that, response might be slower than usual staff response, so we really appreciate your patience on this.

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Nick

I hope you had a wonderful day.

Thanks a lot for sharing the response from the plugin developer. This is obviously a replacement of "the_content" filter but please keep in mind that it's a "non-native" way of showing stuffs on your website. As plugin developer said:

MemberPress overrides that filter to show our own custom content.

So it clearly indicates that they are overriding the default native filter to show their own content.

Please keep in mind that Upfront is a very powerful WordPress theme with lots of awesome features like elements and regions. You can easily drag and drop elements onto your site and click on the cog to access element settings. All of your core elements are there now, with plenty more to come.

So for providing these and lots other outstanding features, we had to stick with the most-proper and native way while developing the theme. And most plugin developers code their plugin considering that the site will be using native functions. So this is the best way of coding a theme.

But don't worry. I can see @Anastasia already flagged for Second Level Support and I believe they will give their valuable opinion on this soon.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Nick,

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

I have not heard any thing from the developer yet. However, I have flagged the developer again and will post back a reply once I will hear from them.

Thanks and appreciate your patience on this ticket :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.