Spirit theme templates questions

So I updated the Spirit Theme. I had made some customizations to the Privacy template and now those are gone. I went back to redo what I had done and remove additional template pages so they do not show up in the dropdown menu when creating new pages. After I removed them using FTP, they still appear in the dropdown when I create a new page. So I have a couple questions . . . why do the templates still show up after deleting them through FTP? Have you guys come up with an easier solution to creating new templates? That is one huge feature that seems to be missing with Upfront. Thanks!

• Milan

Hello @Gwindylyn,

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking us. :slight_smile:

Yes you are 100% right, its very great feature and its on our todo list too. But developer are considering it and thinking a lot about it as we want to make sure this feature satisfy every major requirement regarding template creation, template building and its maintenance.

But I can't give you and ETA on this as it may be possible that this gets delayed for uncertain time due to other critical issues and bug fixed which can't be foreseen.

furthermore dear member you don't need to delete those template files at all. Because if you don't want to use template for new page then you can just simply don't select any template from template selection dropdown and your new page won't inherit any pre-built layout of any template.

You also mentioned that you've deleted template and still its showing up on template selection list ? I want to inform you that Its not the case with my sandbox installation. Just to be sure template gets removed from list after deleting its respective file, I deleted "About Us Template" file /wp-content/themes/uf-spirit/page_tpl-about.php and it successfully removed from template selection list.

So its possible that you deleted wrong file ? Template files in Sprite theme are prefixed with "page_tpl" word and can be found in theme's root directory.

I hope this helps you. :slight_smile:

Please let us know if there is anything else in which we can help you with. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Milan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Gwindylyn,

I hope you're well today!

As my colleague Milan stated, after you remove correct files via FTP they should not appear any more in "Page Template" drop-down list. Is there any change though that you updated Spirit after removing the files? This would explain the issue.

This templates are integral part of theme and will be updated upon each theme update/upgrade. They aren't also meant to be edited directly and may get overwritten (resulting in loosing changes) upon update.

In case you really need/want to edit template file, please first copy original file and then change it's header, for example from original:

<?php
    /**
     * Template Name: Privacy template

to custom

<?php
    /**
     * Template Name:  My Privacy template

and rename that copied file accordingly (for an example above: "page_tpl-my-privacy.php") and then upload it to theme folder. This may prevent your customized template from loosing changes but please not that the goal of Upfront is to let you design your layout "visually" with drag'n'drop interface.

That said, if you delete or add a template this way, those changes should be immediately reflected in your templates drop-down box.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.