SPIRIT Upfront no paragraph element

I am moving a client's site to Spirit and it is not a complex site. However, I am having a few problems -- as I did when I took the tutorial. Right now, here are the two main issues.
1. Paragraph has disappeared from the Type Element drop down.
2. I want to copy and paste the text from the old site into Spirit. Is there a preferred method? When I copy and pasted, the font changed and a couple of other things.
3. It seems like the main head is h2 and not h1. Not a big deal, just wondering.
The address is mjspetting.com/wordpressdraft

Since, originally asking this, I switched computers to see if there was a difference with the drag and drop. I've been working on my laptop and the mouse there seems to have trouble. On my desktop, I was able to do some drag and drop movements that I had been unable to do on the laptop, able to format all blockquotes font at once. The monitor is bigger, of course. Though, if I want to work outside the house...

The above questions though still remain.
Thank you.
Michael Kleiner

Kind Regards.
Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope your weekend is going well so far!

1. Paragraph has disappeared from the Type Element drop down.
    2. I want to copy and paste the text from the old site into Spirit. Is there a preferred method? When I copy and pasted, the font changed and a couple of other things.

Are you able to grant support access so I can have a look at these 2 issues? I'm unable to replicate them in my sandbox. I copied text into a text element and it made it the normal font of the Spirit theme. Where are you pasting text into?

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

3. It seems like the main head is h2 and not h1. Not a big deal, just wondering.
    The address is mjspetting.com/wordpressdraft

My titles are all h1's so I'm not seeing this issue either.

In addition, it looks like that site might no longer be up? Or perhaps the url is wrong? I tried visiting it but just get a web page not available error.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

The paragraph element seems to have returned from its sabbatical. Some things are coming together.

I can't get the image into the text/text box. I copy and pasted from the current site and into Spirit. In one instance the photos imported as well and I was able to align them properly. One I deleted to add another version, but I wasn't able to drag the image into the text. Not all the paragraphs are the same font.

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thank you for the instructions. I had to download and install the WPMU DEV plugin. Access has been granted.
    The address is mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft/wp-admin
    The current site, done in Dreamweaver, is mjspetsitting.com. This has been a neat little site for my neighbor, who also walks our dog a few times a week. Since he is local, we've been able to do well on Google by putting the meta tags including the neighborhood. We're battling the main competition, but she has a bigger operation and services and a storefront. Moving to WP will help the responsive design.

As I said in the last post, Paragraph mysteriously returned as mysteriously as it had disappeared.

1. I still have trouble clicking on the paragraph without the Upfront side bar graying out. Not every paragraph is in Verdana.

2. I can't drag the images into the text or Add Image.

3. The headlines seem to be h2.

4. On FAQs section, the three photos imported with the copy from the current web site. Two at the bottom had to be realigned. The third one was by the first question, but it was hard to see. I deleted it, but then couldn't add new image.

5. I couldn't get a cursor to paste Services, so added a text box. Should I have added a region or doesn't it matter?

6. I would like the Accredited badge within the Accreditation text.

7. I forget what the four plus marks do.

8. Though, it might be in the notes from the tutorial, how do I set the anchor tags for the menu items. I right click on a link, and then Edit URL, but nothing happens. Then, I'll have to go to the headings/link and put an anchor there.

9. Where do I put meta tags for each section?

I know, let's take one thing at a time, but these are the questions on my mind, so might as well have them written down.

I have noticed a difference when working on my laptop and desktop computers. On the laptop, the mouse or computer "sticks" or is slow. I've been able to do things on the desktop -- like moving the contact info to the left of the map -- on the desktop without the trouble I had on the laptop. I'm currently writing this on my laptop.

Look forward to hearing from you. Are there any Upfront themes you prefer over another?

Regards,

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

ah sorry again about such a delay Can you re-grant access? will make sure I check this thread regularly so I don't miss it again!

Also going to go over each of your requests here best I can without seeing them on your site, then I'll have another look when support access is active.

1. I still have trouble clicking on the paragraph without the Upfront side bar graying out. Not every paragraph is in Verdana.

I've have to check the clicking on paragraph issue when I'm logged; however, changing all paragraphs to Verdana we should be able to do from the Theme Settings > Typography menu. Make sure the type elements are Verdana, then any left overs may have the font defined individually via CSS. We should be able to change that by editing the CSS elements.

2. I can't drag the images into the text or Add Image.

Is this on a post/page or in an Upfront text element? If it's post/page then you can add an image by clicking the icon you can see in my attached screenshot.

The Upfront text element you can't add an image into; however, you can use the Image element and drag that above or below the text as needed and upload the image you want.

3. The headlines seem to be h2.

The headlines on the home page are yes. The idea is that you would have a home page title at the top then each section would be more of a sub-heading to that.

When you highlight text inside a text element you can change the font style; however, some users are experiencing issues selecting other font tags - which may be your issue with p tag too - we've narrowed this issue down and it will be fixed in the upcoming update

4. On FAQs section, the three photos imported with the copy from the current web site. Two at the bottom had to be realigned. The third one was by the first question, but it was hard to see. I deleted it, but then couldn't add new image.

I've done a screencast on how you can add an image beside text, with Upfront you would want to make each block of text it's own element so you have more flexibility with it's positioning. Unless on a regular post-type, there you can add images inside the element.

http://screencast.com/t/5gC4AI5z

5. I couldn't get a cursor to paste Services, so added a text box. Should I have added a region or doesn't it matter?

text box is usually fine; unless you want a new background or to change the region styling in anyway - then you would likely want a new region

6. I would like the Accredited badge within the Accreditation text.

You should be able to do that using the above screencast method. You may want to break the text into different elements.

7. I forget what the four plus marks do.

Not sure which four plus marks you're referring too? Are they the yellow ones? In that case, they would be for adding a new region.

8. Though, it might be in the notes from the tutorial, how do I set the anchor tags for the menu items. I right click on a link, and then Edit URL, but nothing happens. Then, I'll have to go to the headings/link and put an anchor there.

You can set a section as an anchor by editing the "Element CSS Styles" as seen in my screenshot. Then go to your menu item and click the "..." symbol and select "anchor" You should see the anchor you just created in the dropdown

Or is your question referring to something else? Sorry if I misunderstood!

9. Where do I put meta tags for each section?

There isn't an option for adding meta tags into the sections, what were you wanting the meta tags for exactly?

I have noticed a difference when working on my laptop and desktop computers.

Do you use the same browser on both? and what is the screen size you are using on the laptop vs desktop?

Are there any Upfront themes you prefer over another?

Personally, I like "Luke + Sara" and "Panino". That's just personal preference though I like their designs.

All the best,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Access has been re-granted. Thanks for the screencasts.

See if I can clarify the questions.
    1. Await answer
    2. It's in the text element.
    3. OK. At the first element, I have About MJS Pet Sitting, then sub-head, Peace of Mind... and then all the other sections are h2.
    4. I'll look at the screencast, but there is a trend here.
    5. I changed the background to white color.
    6. Trend continues of dragging images into text. Although, it might not look bad to have the badge above where the placeholder has been an image.
    7. Yellow plus marks when you click on an area.
    8. Thanks
    9. Title and description meta tags for SEO.
    Different computers. Been using Chrome. Laptop screen is 15.6, desktop between 22-24. On the laptop, the element drop down and in Font Manager, the bottoms were cut off, while on the desktop they were not. For example, I was trying to drag contact info next to the left of the map and was having trouble on the laptop, but when I went to the desktop, I was able to do it without a problem. The laptop is almost 3 years old, it is running slow and I've had similar issues at other sites. It's either the mouse, the computer or both. The good news is I'm probably getting a new laptop within the next week, maybe the weekend, though I have a busy schedule. The screen cutting off made me cautious about getting a screen less than 15.6. The new one will also have i7 5500 processor, ability to get 3.0ghz and 12GB of RAM. Windows 10. I can tell Cortana to do everything.
    Next project is redesigning my book site, now that I've gotten my slides and old movie reels digitized.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Thanks for the access and clarification

1. The sidebar greying out is actually is actually on purpose as whenever you focus in on an element then it will disable the sidebar so you can edit that element. Once you save or click off the element then the sidebar will come back.

As for not all texts being in Verdana. Did you copy text that wasn't Verdana to begin with? I'm wondering if the styling came along with it. What I would suggest is copying the text, saving it to notepad then re-adding it into the sections this will make sure it removes any pre-determined styling.

2. It's in the text element.

Yes, so right now the text elements don't support adding images inside them - unless copied as you have. It would be better to use the "image" element alongside the text element as I showed in #4.

3. OK. At the first element, I have About MJS Pet Sitting, then sub-head, Peace of Mind... and then all the other sections are h2.

In the next update you will be able to easily change all these as needed

5. I changed the background to white color.

Just text box instead of new region would likely be fine in this situation then if the region you're putting it in already has a white background.

6. Trend continues of dragging images into text. Although, it might not look bad to have the badge above where the placeholder has been an image.

Yes, placing the image above, beside, or below should all work with the screencast method.

7. Yellow plus marks when you click on an area.

Like in my attached screenshot? If so, then yes those are for adding new regions.

8. Thanks

No problem

9. Title and description meta tags for SEO.

Title and description meta tags are generally done on a per page basis. Home page would all be considered as one page so there wouldn't be meta tags/description for each section.

If you want to add meta tags/description for each section then you would want to make each of them a new page. Then you could use our SmartCrawl plugin to set meta titles/descriptions, this would need to be from the backend still; however, we plan to integrate this into the frontend.

So sounds like it might just be the laptop in that case then.

The new one will also have i7 5500 processor, ability to get 3.0ghz and 12GB of RAM. Windows 10. I can tell Cortana to do everything.

Very nice! If you still have the problem with that one then we know the issue is within Upfront

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Wanted to let you know I've been busy and not been able to try your suggestions yet. Check back to see if more questions arise. The one issue I need some clarification is the SEO for the one pager. There must have been some thought when the one page/parrallyx (?) suddenly became popular. It's a challenge with the continued reduction in characters for the tags for one page, let alone a theoretical one page that incorporates everything. Thanks.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I'm no SEO expert, but from what I understand, one pager websites generally aren't the best SEO wise. You usually end up with lots of different content on one page instead of several pages that have more focused content. Plus search engines will only pull one meta title and one meta description from each page.

So if you were wanting to optimize it more for SEO then you may want to split it up into several pages then just place excerpts on the home page that link to the full content page. That is the strategy you will see on many sites that way they still have their dedicated pages.

If you have further questions on that just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I'm baaack.

If we're going to turn the one-page site back to a multi-page site, I'm trying to figure out how to name the first page. (permalink)

When I went to Add a Page, there is a line to edit the permalink, I presume for the about to be added page. Then, it asks for a template page to choose. I chose About Page, but that brought up About Meg, with different design and I would have to delete everything myself, which defeats the idea of the template. The first page would now be the index page and I would want to copy that and just have to add text and images for that page. The template choices are:
    About Page template
    Blog Page template
    Contactus Page template
    Gallery Page template
    Login Page template
    Service Page template
    Testimonials Page template

Today, I went to Page -- not Add Page -- and there is a list, but I don't know which one is the first page. Sample Page came up with part of the page. You can delete the text, the navigation bar was there, but not the banner, and the footer was there. The list of pages are:
    services
    Services
    Gallery
    Login
    Contactus

If you go to mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft, the page is there, although the last link on the navigation bar is now on the second line and part of the lower part of the banner is cut off by the navigation bar. Either an index page is being read or the page is named wordpressdraft.

In another issue, there is an update to Upfront in my WordPress dashboard. I keep clicking Update Now and nothing is happening. There is still a dot by Updates.

I am using the new laptop. Same mouse, but doesn't seem to have the same problems the old laptop had.

Thank you.
    About
    Blog
    Testimonials
    Single Page2.php
    Sample Page

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope you had a good weekend. Sorry for my delay here.

The pre-set templates, About, Blog, Testimonials, etc. are pre-made pages within Spirit. Since you plan to make your own pages for that and don't need to work off of those templates, you can just use the default blank template and set up the pages how you like

Today, I went to Page -- not Add Page -- and there is a list, but I don't know which one is the first page.

Not sure what you mean here by "first page", like home page? That won't actually be listed in your pages since Upfront comes with a home page that you can edit as needed, it won't show it in that list.

In another issue, there is an update to Upfront in my WordPress dashboard. I keep clicking Update Now and nothing is happening. There is still a dot by Updates.

Are you still not able to update? Can you grant support access again so I can have a look?

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I have been very busy with a couple of other projects not web design related, the last few weeks. I have some time today to try to catch up here. This site is close to done if I can work out these bugs.

First, I was able to update Spirit and Upfront with my new laptop. This is actually the second new laptop. The first was unresponsive so they swapped it out after two weeks. No major problems with this one and I've had it almost a month.

Since, it's been a while, I'm trying to get acclimated back to what I was trying to do and what you were telling me to do. Let's narrow it down to adding a new page.

1. I clicked on Add Page, I changed the name, which changes the permalink. I chose None under the template choice and Create. The navigation bar is the same, but the graphic header I created or an empty space for it does not. I tried clicking on the navigation so I would get the plus marks and add the region, but I could not get it.

I went back to the main page, clicked on the graphic and in Settings set to Global. I tried creating the page again and still there was no graphic in the header.

2. From our previous conversations, what is the main/home page we're working on called? Normally, it would be index.html. When I set up the link on the navigation what is the name or how do I name it?

3. While we're on the navigation bar, my client was setting up a Facebook and Google+ page. How do I get rid of the Twitter and You Tube logos and where can I get the Google+ icon?

4. I'm regranting access.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope you have been doing well!

1. I clicked on Add Page, I changed the name, which changes the permalink. I chose None under the template choice and Create. The navigation bar is the same, but the graphic header I created or an empty space for it does not. I tried clicking on the navigation so I would get the plus marks and add the region, but I could not get it.

Sorry to ask again but could you re-grant support access so I can have a look? It's expired.

2. From our previous conversations, what is the main/home page we're working on called? Normally, it would be index.html. When I set up the link on the navigation what is the name or how do I name it?

By default in Upfront the home page will just be the url of your site, so in this case: mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft/

Upfront doesn't have a specific WP page as the home page. It has it's default template that you can completely customize as needed. So when adding the link you would just place the domain url I pasted above

3. While we're on the navigation bar, my client was setting up a Facebook and Google+ page. How do I get rid of the Twitter and You Tube logos and where can I get the Google+ icon?

The icons we have there are coded into Upfront. You can remove Facebook and Youtube by removing the list items within the code. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

You will want to remove:

<li><a class="social-icon youtube" href="http://youtube.com" target="_blank"></a></li>
      <li><a class="social-icon facebook" href="http://facebook.com" target="_blank"></a></li>

We don't have a G+ icon at the moment; however, you could also use a social icons plugin instead if you like: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-social-icons/

Then you can use the shortcode it provides you to place it on your site.

Look forward to hearing back! Hope you have a great weekend.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Thanks for re-granting access

You will want to make that region above your navigation a "global" region, as I've illustrated in my screenshot. Then go onto the new page and add a new region above the navigation and select it from your global regions. This makes it easy to add a region that is consistent across your site.

As for not having the options to add a new region from the menu, it's because the region is too small so the "pluses" don't fit, if you temporarily drag it bigger then you will see the yellow plus symbols appear.

I'm going to flag that for the developers as I think the add region buttons should be visible no matter the height of the region. Thanks for mentioning it.

If you have any further questions just let me know.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I keep getting new or old problems. On Friday:
    1. I tried your suggestions re adding header. I saved the image as global region. I added page – I think the about page sort of replicates the main page, but after confusion about which page to copy. I could not get arrows by stretching navigation. Everything in navigation is its own element.
    2. I tried to work on new MJS pages and created aboutjoe page –in page list, it is one of New Pages, though the URL says about joe-- and accreditation. Yeah! Except, I had trouble with placing image of Joe and my dog within text on aboutjoe page, like I had before. I was able to put photo by text on the main page before (previous one pager). All of a sudden the text changed fonts than what I set in Paragraph in Theme Settings and I can’t get it to change back to Verdana. Also, when I click in area I get a T.
    3. On accreditation page, all of a sudden an add image icon appeared in some paragraph margins, and I was able to add images. I went back to aboutjoe page, but the add image icon did not appear between paragraphs so I could not put picture of Joe within the text.
    4. Frustratingly, I would click somewhere and things are flying all over the place. In one blockquote, the font suddenly changed. Eventually, I got it corrected. The text box suddenly moved down the page. On the accreditation page, the ordered list had a different font than paragraph font and can’t seem to get it corrected.

won't change to Verdana even though formatted in Theme Settings. I copy and pasted text into Notepad and then into the site.
      5. There are lines in accreditation where I want to emphasize that MJS is in compliance and like on the current site, I want to highlight those sentences in a different color. I was able to do one. When I try to do the others, the OK box (in T box) is cutoff on the right side. When I try to scroll over, the color box disappears. I tried switching to my desktop computer, which has a bigger monitor than the laptop, but the same thing happened.
      6. There is trouble getting back to original main page because I’m not sure which page it is.
      7. Then, I went to regrant you access but was unable to do so. I saw there was a Spirit update, but nothing happened when I clicked Update now. I saw Upgrade and Update, and that took me to the WPMU site with links to Themes and Join. I tried again today, Sunday, and it turned out my membership expired Dec. 9. The guy on chat gave me 50% off and I was able to update and regrant access until Dec. 17. Since, I was working on the site on Friday the 11th, I thought maybe that was why I was having some problems. Tyler,
      1. I tried your suggestions re adding header. I saved the image as global region. I added page – I think the about page sort of replicates the main page, but after confusion about which page to copy. I could not get arrows by stretching navigation. Everything in navigation is its own element.
      2. I tried to work on new MJS pages and created aboutjoe page –in page list, it is one of New Pages, though the URL says about joe-- and accreditation. Yeah! Except, I had trouble with placing image of Joe and my dog within text on aboutjoe page, like I had before. I was able to put photo by text on the main page before (previous one pager). All of a sudden the text changed fonts than what I set in Paragraph in Theme Settings and I can’t get it to change back to Verdana. Also, when I click in area I get a T.
      3. On accreditation page, all of a sudden an add image icon appeared in some paragraph margins, and I was able to add images. I went back to aboutjoe page, but the add image icon did not appear between paragraphs so I could not put picture of Joe within the text.
      4. Frustratingly, I would click somewhere and things are flying all over the place. In one blockquote, the font suddenly changed. Eventually, I got it corrected. The text box suddenly moved down the page. On the accreditation page, the ordered list had a different font than paragraph font and can’t seem to get it corrected.
      won't change to Verdana even though formatted in Theme Settings. I copy and pasted text into Notepad and then into the site.
      5. There are lines in accreditation where I want to emphasize that MJS is in compliance and like on the current site, I want to highlight those sentences in a different color. I was able to do one. When I try to do the others, the OK box (in T box) is cutoff on the right side. When I try to scroll over, the color box disappears. I tried switching to my desktop computer, which has a bigger monitor than the laptop, but the same thing happened.
      6. There is trouble getting back to original main page because I’m not sure which page it is.
      7. Then, I went to regrant you access but was unable to do so. I saw there was a Spirit update, but nothing happened when I clicked Update now. I saw Upgrade and Update, and that took me to the WPMU site with links to Themes and Join. I tried again today, Sunday, and it turned out my membership expired Dec. 9. The guy on chat gave me 50% off and I was able to update and regrant access until Dec. 17. Since, I was working on the site on Friday the 11th, I thought maybe that was why I was having some problems. No Tyler,
      7. Then, I went to regrant you access but was unable to do so. I saw there was a Spirit update, but nothing happened when I clicked Update now. I saw Upgrade and Update, and that took me to the WPMU site with links to Themes and Join. I tried again today, Sunday, and it turned out my membership expired Dec. 9. The guy on chat gave me 50% off and I was able to update and regrant access until Dec. 17. Since, I was working on the site on Friday the 11th, I thought maybe that was why I was having some problems. Same problems.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    The good news is I created the new pages – without the header.
    There are still issues. One confusing thing is some of the new pages don’t have the name I created for them. In the list of pages are a few New Pages. There are several services pages. accreditation, FAQ, contactus are correct.

About Joe Page: I think in the previous post, I mentioned on the About Joe page (the most recent New Page) the text was not changing to the font set in paragraph theme and I couldn’t get the picture to be aligned within the text as I had done on the original one pager (mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft). This afternoon, I was able to fix it, though It took a few times because the settings kept reverting back to the wrong font. The sub head was in the text box and I believe that was causing the problem.

FAQs Page: Here’s a doozy. Yesterday, I put the FAQs text in. I saw an add image icon appear within the text and added an image. I wanted to add another image, but no add image icon appeared. So, I dragged the image box, cropped it. The picture looks sort of like it's in the text. The image that was within the text disappeared! The box is there. When I hover, the x, T, link, and align icons are there. I tried deleting, but nothing happened. I returned today, and the picture is still missing.

Contact us Page (contactus): I wanted more fields in the Contact form. I went to the WPMU plug-ins from the dashboard. I installed and activated Contact Form plugin. How to integrate it was the next issue. I couldn't get back to the list of plugins pages for Instructions. At Installed Plugins, I clicked on Plug-In web site and watched the video. Now, I went to the WPMU dashboard and not Spirit. In the Widgets section, it says there is an inactive sidebar, so there is no place to drag Contact Form to. Any new plug-ins are not put into Spirit and have to be worked with from WPMU Dashboard? Should I be working more with that dashboard? If I set the URLs from there, will they be added to Spirit? The current contact form could probably work for now.

Services (services-4): I added slide show. The pictures aren’t the same size because I had different size originals. The slide show is not running automatically, though it is on the one-pager. I haven’t added the text yet.

Other:
    1. The squiggly line under title of a page and before collar image is on some pages, not others. Isn’t there an easy copy and paste that can be done? Clone, copy, paste?
    2. I made the subheads blockquotes, but when I centered, the text centered, but the quote marks stayed left. So, I kept it left aligned, then resized the box and dragged toward the center. Things look unaligned.
    3. Is there an easier way to move from Spirit to WPMU Dashboard without backspacing or relogging in?
    4. Can I delete 2014 Meg Campbell Archive/Terms/Privacy on the “home page”?

Thanks.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Latest update.
    I set up a separate support for the Contact form issue. Vaughn showed to drag widget in Upfront and then choose form from the widgets-- there are about 6 contact form choices, but I am not sure which one to use for my purposes. I had first dragged Contact to the page. He seemed to imply the contact plug-in won't integrate with Upfront. I await to hear his latest response.

I add Services text and along the way had an option to add image within text, so I did. I copy and pasted the testimonials from the home page to the services (services-4) page. (the fonts kept changing). On the home page there are circles with pictures next to the testimonials. I had pictures of dogs that related to the testimonials. How can I move those to services-4 page as well?

The issue with the picture disappearing on the FAQ page still exists.

The slide show on the services-4 page is running automatically when not in Upfront. Some of the title slides are cut off. I'm going to have to figure out what to do. Some pictures are smaller than others. Otherwise, the pictures are pretty good.

Still want to highlight certain lines in accreditation in green. The OK box in the color settings is cut off on my laptop and desktop -- and the desktop has a bigger screen -- and when I try to scroll over, the color box disappears.

I want the font for BLOCKQUOTE to be Open Sans. When I set it at Open Sans in Theme Settings, in Upfront, the blockquotes are in Open Sans, but when I view the page, they are in Oswald. If I change the font to Oswald, in both places, the font is Oswald.

It appears the squiggly line underneath the title of the page is not visible in Upfront, but is when viewing the site.

Grant Access has been extended to Dec. 19.

Thank you.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope you had a Christmas! (If you celebrate it). Sorry for my delay, was off for a little while. Catching up now.

Can you re-grant support access and let me know which of the above issues are still a problem? Looks like there is quite a few, just want to make sure that I'm looking into the right things once logged in. You can even just copy and paste the explanations from above that are still issues or just give me the numbers from your first numbered list there whichever is easiest.

Talk to you soon! Cheers

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I’ve regranted access to Dec. 30. Would really like to see if we can finalize every thing this week. Fortunately, the client isn’t one to make it a rush. What gets frustrating is with the drag and drop, elements moving around the page, fonts not being the ones set in Theme Settings. In Pages, it’s all jumpy, and it’s a “lucky stab” to click on Edit. Why an Add Image icon appears amidst text, sometimes doesn’t. Why there are different fonts despite the settings in Theme Settings.

1. One confusing thing is some of the new pages don’t have the name I created for them. In the list of pages are a few New Pages. I’ve eliminated some of them. These are the working pages as listed under Pages:
    http://mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft/=home page (can’t find under Pages)
    accreditation
    FAQ
    contactus
    2015/12/11 New Page=aboutjoe
    Services
    2. The banner in the header. I made the header global as you instructed, but was unable to get the four plus marks above the navigation by stretching it. Each piece of the navigation seems to be its own element.
    3. Look of alignment of items on page.
    4. There are lines in accreditation where I want to emphasize that MJS is in compliance and like on the current site, I want to highlight those sentences in a different color. I was able to do one. When I try to do the others, the OK box (in T box) is cutoff on the right side. When I try to scroll over, the color box disappears. I tried switching to my desktop computer, which has a bigger monitor than the laptop, but the same thing happened.
    5. FAQ Page: Here’s a doozy. I put the FAQs text in. I saw an add image icon appear within the text and added an image. I wanted to add another image, but no add image icon appeared. So, I dragged the image box, cropped it. The picture looks sort of like it's in the text. The image that was within the text disappeared! The box is there. When I hover, the x, T, link, and align icons are there. I tried deleting, but nothing happened. The picture is still missing.
    6. I have the testimonials on the home page and Services page. On the home page I have pictures in ovals by the testimonials, which was part of the original template. How can I get those oval photos also on the Services page (or I can delete the testimonials from the Services page, but I like the reinforcement)?
    7. I want the font for BLOCKQUOTE to be Open Sans. When I set it at Open Sans in Theme Settings, in Upfront, the blockquotes are in Open Sans, but when I view the page, they are in Oswald. If I change the font to Oswald, in both places, the font is Oswald. Not a catastrophe, but wondering why.
    8. The squiggly line under title of a page and before collar image is on some pages, not others. Isn’t there an easy copy and paste that can be done? Clone, copy, paste? It appears the squiggly line underneath the title of the page is not visible in Upfront, but is when viewing the site.
    9. Services: I added slide show. The pictures aren’t the same size because I had different size originals. Figure out what I want to do about that. The slide show runs automatically when you’re viewing the web page, (which is what we want ?) not when in Upfront, though the original one on the one-pager did. The title slides are sometimes cut off. I’ve tried to stretch them, but show looks out of alignment.
    10. Haven’t done the hyperlinks yet, but you provided that earlier.
    11. Will probably leave Contact Us form as is. There are a number of forms in the Upfront Widget, but not clear what each does or offers. From what Vaughn says, I can't use the WPMU Contact Form plug-in with Upfront.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I extended the access to January 2. It was to expire today. I fiddled with the site today. I was able to create the hyperlinks for the pages and they are working. The email links throughout are not opening up an email box. They are coded as mailto:address. Sometimes, when I tried to reformat it, the entire code printed. Hope to hear from you soon.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Thanks for extending the access!

1. One confusing thing is some of the new pages don’t have the name I created for them. In the list of pages are a few New Pages. I’ve eliminated some of them. These are the working pages as listed under Pages:

The one you have there labelled "New Page" on the backend that is actually the about page, for some reason it's missing the regular "Post" element and you're using text elements instead, so it's not showing the proper post title and post content.

You can try changing the name on the backend from New Page to whatever you like, that should change it. Just make sure you make a copy of the content you have in the Upfront editor just in-case.

Any new pages you make you should notice that it lets you change the post title right away and also gives you the Post content and Post title boxes instead of you needing to drag them in.

2. The banner in the header. I made the header global as you instructed, but was unable to get the four plus marks above the navigation by stretching it. Each piece of the navigation seems to be its own element.

Which region did you make global? The one on the top of your home page with the dog pictures on it? Just asking because that one doesn't appear to be global.

Our upcoming update will likely help a lot with this as we've completely re-done the drag and drop system to make it easier and less jumpy when organizing elements

Do you have a specific example of items on a page that you can link me to? Then I can have a closer look at it.

4. There are lines in accreditation where I want to emphasize that MJS is in compliance and like on the current site, I want to highlight those sentences in a different color. I was able to do one. When I try to do the others, the OK box (in T box) is cutoff on the right side. When I try to scroll over, the color box disappears. I tried switching to my desktop computer, which has a bigger monitor than the laptop, but the same thing happened.

Not sure what you mean by the OK box is cutoff on the right side?

Which text on that page do you want to highlight? I'll try it out myself and see if I get the same issue. I highlighted some random text on the page and it seemed to work okay.

5. FAQ Page: Here’s a doozy. I put the FAQs text in. I saw an add image icon appear within the text and added an image. I wanted to add another image, but no add image icon appeared.

I think this has to do with some html behind the scenes, I added some spaces and then removed them and looks like the image icon shows up properly now. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

As for the image box still being there, that's very odd! If you delete that whole paragraph then it will go away so try copying the text and then deleting that paragraph and re-paste in the text. I've been testing the newer version of Upfront and that hasn't happened to me so I'm thinking it's all fixed up for the next release.

6. I have the testimonials on the home page and Services page. On the home page I have pictures in ovals by the testimonials, which was part of the original template. How can I get those oval photos also on the Services page (or I can delete the testimonials from the Services page, but I like the reinforcement)?

You would need to add the images in the image element then we can add a border radius to them via CSS to get that circle design so just add the images you want in the image element and I'll show you how to make them rounded.

7. I want the font for BLOCKQUOTE to be Open Sans. When I set it at Open Sans in Theme Settings, in Upfront, the blockquotes are in Open Sans, but when I view the page, they are in Oswald. If I change the font to Oswald, in both places, the font is Oswald. Not a catastrophe, but wondering why.

I'm able to reproduce this issue in the test version as well. I'm flagging it for the developer so it can get fixed up before the next release

8. The squiggly line under title of a page and before collar image is on some pages, not others. Isn’t there an easy copy and paste that can be done? Clone, copy, paste? It appears the squiggly line underneath the title of the page is not visible in Upfront, but is when viewing the site.

That's a background that will show only on h2 headings. So if you have a page heading in a text box then make sure you highlight and make it an h2, then it should show that squiggly line

9. Services: I added slide show. The pictures aren’t the same size because I had different size originals. Figure out what I want to do about that. The slide show runs automatically when you’re viewing the web page, (which is what we want ?) not when in Upfront, though the original one on the one-pager did. The title slides are sometimes cut off. I’ve tried to stretch them, but show looks out of alignment.

It's best to make the width of the slider the same as your smallest image. It will crop the bigger images but it won't stretch out the small images as you will lose a lot of the quality. So go into editor mode and drag the corner of the slider element a little smaller and center it

11. Will probably leave Contact Us form as is. There are a number of forms in the Upfront Widget, but not clear what each does or offers. From what Vaughn says, I can't use the WPMU Contact Form plug-in with Upfront.

We are adding better compatibility soon in the meantime using the built in contact form element is probably best.

Is it possible we can do a joinme or other remote system for you to go into the background of my computer?

We don't offer that service at this time. If you need clarification on anything just let me know. I can try to make screencasts where needed to further illustrate.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thanks for the reply. When is this new release coming out?

"The one you have there labelled "New Page" on the backend that is actually the about page, for some reason it's missing the regular "Post" element and you're using text elements instead, so it's not showing the proper post title and post content.

"You can try changing the name on the backend from New Page to whatever you like, that should change it. Just make sure you make a copy of the content you have in the Upfront editor just in-case.

"Any new pages you make you should notice that it lets you change the post title right away and also gives you the Post content and Post title boxes instead of you needing to drag them in."
    Are you suggesting I create another New Page and change the name that way? When I go to Pages, Edit New Page takes me to editing the page. Only Add New Page offers way to change the name of the page. New Page goes to aboutjoe page which appears in the URL.

"Which region did you make global? The one on the top of your home page with the dog pictures on it? Just asking because that one doesn't appear to be global."

Yes, the banner with the dog pictures. This finally worked. Although, now I was getting the + but the region was not showing in the global choices. For the first two pages, I added the image. When I got to the third page, now the region was showing up in the global choices. I saved all the pages, but when I went back to them, the banner was not there. I went back and used the global and then they appeared.

"Our upcoming update will likely help a lot with this as we've completely re-done the drag and drop system to make it easier and less jumpy when organizing elements

"Do you have a specific example of items on a page that you can link me to? Then I can have a closer look at it."

On Services page, the heading Service, collar and squiggly, blockquote don't seem correctly aligned. The slide show is not aligned because of the sizing discussed elsewhere.
    About MJS Pet Sitting or the home page, same, heading, squiggly, collar, blockquote.
    FAQ: Heading, squiggly, collar. In graduate school 20 years ago, my professors noticed I had an alignment problem, I couldn't tell something was unaligned. It turned out I had a vision problem, usually found in young children. I went through therapy -- and of interest to the optometry students since I was an adult patient among these kids. So, if I see these don't seem aligned...

"Not sure what you mean by the OK box is cutoff on the right side?"

The OK in the color box (T) to apply the color. The color I want is #33CC66 bold. I can't reach the OK because it is cut off by the right side of the screen on the laptop and desktop computer. When I scroll to the right, the whole box disappears. MJS Pet Sitting’s accreditation has been updated, MJS Pet Sitting is insured and bonded. Documents available upon request. and MJS Pet Sitting has that knowledge. are the sentences I want to change.

5. FAQ Page: Here’s a doozy. I put the FAQs text in. I saw an add image icon appear within the text and added an image. I wanted to add another image, but no add image icon appeared.

"I think this has to do with some html behind the scenes, I added some spaces and then removed them and looks like the image icon shows up properly now. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate.

"As for the image box still being there, that's very odd! If you delete that whole paragraph then it will go away so try copying the text and then deleting that paragraph and re-paste in the text. I've been testing the newer version of Upfront and that hasn't happened to me so I'm thinking it's all fixed up for the next release."

The issue is around question 3, not question 4, although I would have liked to put the photo at the bottom there. I still copy and pasted that question like you said. I can't get rid of the box to try to add the picture again. It bounces me up to the top of the page when I click on X. You should see the gap to the left of question 3.There's a dotted box and if you hover, you get T, Alignment, link icons.

6. Will add the images and let you know.
    7. When is the new release?
    8. When I view the pages, the squiggly is on each one.
    9. Will try.
    10. Links will have to change when we're ready to publish.
    11. Probably good enough in this case.

Additional questions:
    12. E-mail links throughout the site are not opening up an e-mail composition box. They are all formatted mailto:address. Sometimes, the whole code pastes on the screen.
    13. I went to Responsive and clicked on all the formats. Obviously, the site looks different, but the color of text is different in at least one of the formats. Should I change anything in the responsive formats?

Hope to hear from you soon. I didn't expect this to take as long as it did and therefore wouldn't cost the client a lot. He's short money right now, and I have to figure out what to do. I separated any of the tech support time you and I have done, which has been extensive. I feel good about finally seeing the banner on each page. Happy New Year.

When this is done, I want to redesign my book site, now that I've digitized old movie films and slides, so have high quality images. See what theme you think might work best. I have a start, but I have to check what theme it is. Don't remember if it is a WPMU theme.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

1. Are you suggesting I create another New Page and change the name that way? When I go to Pages, Edit New Page takes me to editing the page. Only Add New Page offers way to change the name of the page. New Page goes to aboutjoe page which appears in the URL.

My first suggestion was to try changing it on the backend through the WP Dashboard > Pages. edit page area. So not through Upfront; however, I think copying the content and then creating a new page is probably the safer way to go.

That will make sure the page is created and saved properly.

2. Yes, the banner with the dog pictures. This finally worked. Although, now I was getting the + but the region was not showing in the global choices. For the first two pages, I added the image. When I got to the third page, now the region was showing up in the global choices. I saved all the pages, but when I went back to them, the banner was not there. I went back and used the global and then they appeared.

Odd that it took a couple pages before the global region was added to the list. Now that it's there, it is working through?

1. On Services page, the heading Service, collar and squiggly, blockquote don't seem correctly aligned. The slide show is not aligned because of the sizing discussed elsewhere.
    About MJS Pet Sitting or the home page, same, heading, squiggly, collar, blockquote.
    FAQ: Heading, squiggly, collar. In graduate school 20 years ago, my professors noticed I had an alignment problem, I couldn't tell something was unaligned. It turned out I had a vision problem, usually found in young children. I went through therapy -- and of interest to the optometry students since I was an adult patient among these kids. So, if I see these don't seem aligned...

I think you will find that the grid lines help a lot with this I've just aligned the collar a bit better. Needed to make it a little bigger in order for the alignment between to the two elements to fit right. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate. Try turning on the grid and using that to help align properly, if you're still having trouble then just let me know.

4. The OK in the color box (T) to apply the color. The color I want is #33CC66 bold. I can't reach the OK because it is cut off by the right side of the screen on the laptop and desktop computer. When I scroll to the right, the whole box disappears. MJS Pet Sitting’s accreditation has been updated, MJS Pet Sitting is insured and bonded. Documents available upon request. and MJS Pet Sitting has that knowledge. are the sentences I want to change.

Ooh, I see what you mean! Thanks for the clarification

On my laptop I'm able to scroll to the right without any issues. What browser are you using?

Also, I see you have bolded those two sentences now. Were able to get it going?

5. The issue is around question 3, not question 4, although I would have liked to put the photo at the bottom there. I still copy and pasted that question like you said. I can't get rid of the box to try to add the picture again. It bounces me up to the top of the page when I click on X. You should see the gap to the left of question 3.There's a dotted box and if you hover, you get T, Alignment, link icons.

I removed the whole number 3 section which took away the box then I re-typed in the content for it, and it looks to be gone for good now the empty box that is.

7. When is the new release?

It's in final testing right now, there was a critical issue that got caught so that is being worked out now and hopefully after that it will be ready to go

12. E-mail links throughout the site are not opening up an e-mail composition box. They are all formatted mailto:address. Sometimes, the whole code pastes on the screen.

I just tested this on the about page and it appears to be working fine for me. It should bring up the launch application box as you see in my screenshot.

13. I went to Responsive and clicked on all the formats. Obviously, the site looks different, but the color of text is different in at least one of the formats. Should I change anything in the responsive formats?

You can change whatever you like in the Responsive mode you may want to change the color to match any other changes you've made.

Added photos to testimonials page, not sure right ones, but can be changed. When I put the first photo in, I saved, but when I went back, the picture wasn't there.

Instead of using the default Spirit based testimonial page, try creating your own. It should work properly then.

Sorry about the delay and thanks for extending access Michael! Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Access extended to Jan. 15. This is what I’ve done so far.
    I just tested this on the about page and it appears to be working fine for me. It should bring up the launch application box as you see in my screenshot.
    In Chrome, none of the email links open, all the links to Contact us form work.
    In Microsoft Edge, a pop-up says “Do you want to switch apps? Microsoft Edge is trying to open Google Chrome.” Clicking No keeps you on the page. Clicking Yes goes to the Google landing page.
    One time, it said, “How do you want to open this? Chrome? Mail? Outlook 2016?”
    In Edge, on accreditation, Services, About Joe pages, there are blue boxes with radio buttons. No Link, External Link, Link to a post or page, Show larger image. Not the case in Chrome.

______________________________________________________________________________________
    Instead of using the default Spirit based testimonial page, try creating your own. It should work properly then.

I wasn’t using the default Spirit testimonial page, which I just noticed. I was trying to replicate the testimonials on the home page, which had the Spirit layout with the pictures inside the circles, on the Services page. You were going to show me a “neat way” to get the circles. ? I know I’m missing one picture from the client and have to verify the correct pictures are matched with the quote. I need to know how to get the pictures in the circles. Can you clone, then copy and paste? I tried, but didn’t see any copy and paste elements. I could use the Spirit testimonial page, since it has the circles and the clone would work there. Or delete the testimonials on the Services page and just go with the testimonials on the home page.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    5. The issue is around question 3, not question 4, although I would have liked to put the photo at the bottom there. I still copy and pasted that question like you said. I can't get rid of the box to try to add the picture again. It bounces me up to the top of the page when I click on X. You should see the gap to the left of question 3.There's a dotted box and if you hover, you get T, Alignment, link icons.
    I removed the whole number 3 section which took away the box then I re-typed in the content for it, and it looks to be gone for good now the empty box that is.

This FAQ page has been strange. The Add Image icon finally appeared above the question 3. I chose the one I had before, but it was too small with no way to drag to make it larger. I found another one that was also small, and finally found a picture that was a little bigger and had a couple of choices for size. It worked, but the picture could be closer within the text, but there are no handles to move it. I tried a bigger size, but the smaller size wouldn’t delete, but the bigger one did. One point, I clicked Embed instead of Image and a line appeared by the image. It doesn't show when viewing the site. The number 3 and question wasn't in the right font, but was when viewed on the site.

Michael

• mkleiner

January 13
    Tyler,

Access extended to January 18. Today’s report. Still have to review other answers.

1. Are you suggesting I create another New Page and change the name that way? When I go to Pages, Edit New Page takes me to editing the page. Only Add New Page offers way to change the name of the page. New Page goes to aboutjoe page which appears in the URL.

My first suggestion was to try changing it on the backend through the WP Dashboard > Pages. edit page area. So not through Upfront; however, I think copying the content and then creating a new page is probably the safer way to go.
    That will make sure the page is created and saved properly.

I changed most of the page names from backend WP dashboard, using All Pages>page>edit>edit permalink and page name. This was easier than editing URL in Upfront. This did not work on contactus-2 because still reading contactus or Contactus as template page, even after deleting that page, but contactus-2 is going to the correct page, so leave it; same with Services>services-4. wordpressdraft is home page and that doesn't appear in the list. When the site is migrated back to mjspetsitting.com, urls will change and wordpress draft won't appear?

9. Services: I added slide show. The pictures aren’t the same size because I had different size originals. Figure out what I want to do about that. The slide show runs automatically when you’re viewing the web page, (which is what we want not when in Upfront, though the original one on the one-pager did. The title slides are sometimes cut off. I’ve tried to stretch them, but show looks out of alignment.

It's best to make the width of the slider the same as your smallest image. It will crop the bigger images but it won't stretch out the small images as you will lose a lot of the quality. So go into editor mode and drag the corner of the slider element a little smaller and center it

This is a mess, now. Is there an easy way to change the size? Settings has the slides, whether the width should be 100% or contained (currently on contained, Auto-resize is on) and Slider Styles and the pictures. The black pencil gives the size of the frame. Moving the corners crops the picture and if you click on the pencil, the frame is still the same size, even though the picture is smaller. I’ve gone through the slides, some are stretched big, some of the title slides are cut off, some pictures have the names cut off, so I have to stretch them (the names are part of the picture) so the name appears. On some pictures, I click on the Edit Image button and some have option to align, left, center or right, others don’t have that option. I even tried to drag a new slider, but there was no place to enter the size.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

1. I changed most of the page names from backend WP dashboard, using All Pages>page>edit>edit permalink and page name. This was easier than editing URL in Upfront. This did not work on contactus-2 because still reading contactus or Contactus as template page, even after deleting that page, but contactus-2 is going to the correct page, so leave it; same with Services>services-4. wordpressdraft is home page and that doesn't appear in the list. When the site is migrated back to mjspetsitting.com, urls will change and wordpress draft won't appear?

You may need to do a search and replace when you migrate the site just to make sure all urls change. You can do that with a plugin such as this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-search-replace/

9. This is a mess, now. Is there an easy way to change the size? Settings has the slides, whether the width should be 100% or contained (currently on contained, Auto-resize is on) and Slider Styles and the pictures. The black pencil gives the size of the frame. Moving the corners crops the picture and if you click on the pencil, the frame is still the same size, even though the picture is smaller. I’ve gone through the slides, some are stretched big, some of the title slides are cut off, some pictures have the names cut off, so I have to stretch them (the names are part of the picture) so the name appears. On some pictures, I click on the Edit Image button and some have option to align, left, center or right, others don’t have that option. I even tried to drag a new slider, but there was no place to enter the size.

Have you tried making all images the same size before uploading? This would be your best bet, This way all images would be treated the same so there shouldn't be any distortion.

5. This FAQ page has been strange. The Add Image icon finally appeared above the question 3. I chose the one I had before, but it was too small with no way to drag to make it larger. I found another one that was also small, and finally found a picture that was a little bigger and had a couple of choices for size. It worked, but the picture could be closer within the text, but there are no handles to move it. I tried a bigger size, but the smaller size wouldn’t delete, but the bigger one did. One point, I clicked Embed instead of Image and a line appeared by the image. It doesn't show when viewing the site. The number 3 and question wasn't in the right font, but was when viewed on the site.

The image is looking fine for me right now. Are you wanting to make it bigger? I can see that it's not deleting again. Very odd. Can you try pasting the text into a new page and see if you have the same issues? I'm wondering if it's happening because of code on this page. We're going to be making a big update to the single post editing experience soon which should get rid of any issues like this.

12. In Chrome, none of the email links open, all the links to Contact us form work.
    In Microsoft Edge, a pop-up says “Do you want to switch apps? Microsoft Edge is trying to open Google Chrome.” Clicking No keeps you on the page. Clicking Yes goes to the Google landing page.
    One time, it said, “How do you want to open this? Chrome? Mail? Outlook 2016?”
    In Edge, on accreditation, Services, About Joe pages, there are blue boxes with radio buttons. No Link, External Link, Link to a post or page, Show larger image. Not the case in Chrome.

This is because by default Chrome doesn't have any handler set for mailto: links. This guide here will allow you to set it to automatically open gmail: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2012/02/Getting-Gmail-to-handle-all-mailto-links-with-registerProtocolHandler?hl=en

I wasn’t using the default Spirit testimonial page, which I just noticed. I was trying to replicate the testimonials on the home page, which had the Spirit layout with the pictures inside the circles, on the Services page. You were going to show me a “neat way” to get the circles. ? I know I’m missing one picture from the client and have to verify the correct pictures are matched with the quote. I need to know how to get the pictures in the circles. Can you clone, then copy and paste? I tried, but didn’t see any copy and paste elements. I could use the Spirit testimonial page, since it has the circles and the clone would work there. Or delete the testimonials on the Services page and just go with the testimonials on the home page.

If you create a new testimonial page and add in the images you want then paste in the text. Link me the page and I'll make the images circles then show you how I did it it will be easier that way then I can do one as an example.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Access extended five days from today to 24th.
    It’s really frustrating, seem to take a step forward, and something else unexplained happens.

Testimonials page
    I created a new testimonial page, not the Upfront testimonial page.
    I had a brain lock how to add new link to navigation bar. I tried backend dashboard, didn’t work in Menus area. Tried both testimonials in list. I eventually got this with the + marks.

The page is testimonial2 or in Pages, Testimonials with 20160119 date. I’d like to have Testimonial go before Contact Us, but can’t seem to grab it to move it. Remember, these are the same testimonials that are on the home page.

I had a brain lock on pasting text, then remembered dragging text icon. I put in a testimonial, picture, but when I returned to do the next one, what I had done had disappeared. I redid everything, saving after each element was pasted and after I was done. I went to lunch, returned, the page still looked the same. I remembered how to do the link in the navigation. When I came back to the testimonials page, everything I had done had disappeared!!! Again!!!! I redid it, again, saving as I went along. I’m afraid to leave the page or to look at it.

Re the pictures, the first one is a placeholder until my client gets me the right picture. I think the others are correct. It’s not totally aligned. I just wanted to try to complete the page before I had to do it again. Each quote is its own text box and each picture its own image box. Would prefer the name at the end of the quote be aligned right or center. I highlighted the text and clicked on the right align, didn’t work.

Mailto in Chrome
    Didn’t work. I think I was in my gmail tab. You had to be in a gmail tab.
    There was a string that had to be entered in the Java Script console. After I exited the console – the only way was using the x, hitting Enter didn’t exit, and there was no OK or Done button. I didn't receive any confirmation from the browser, as per instructions. When I clicked on the mailto link in the next step, I got blank page. Another person in the comments showed what he had to do in Windows 10 to get it to work. I tried what he suggested. First, was to make Chrome default e-mail. When I went to chrome://settings/handlers in Chrome, there was a box Protocol Handlers; Active Protocol Handlers above Type and Site and a blank box underneath, with nothing clickable except the Learn More and Done buttons underneath the box. Clicking Done brought me a Content Setting box.

Slide Show
    I mentioned before that the original pictures were different sizes. I have an idea. The slide show that currently exists on the old site was done in Google Slides. I can download each slide as a .jpg. There are some new ones I have to create. There is a background and a border. They’re the same as the title pages except with the photos. They’d all be the same size because the frame would be the same size, and the size of the picture doesn’t matter all that much. Can then put them in the slider or run them off Google Slides. Wanted the slide show in the site and then the larger size would have better quality.

The testimonials are below in case you need to copy and paste them again.
    “Joe has been a great pal to our pup, Breslin. He is extremely responsible, always available even at the last minute. He has never missed a day, and our pup has no complaints! Joe is extremely great to work with. Very flexible and considerate. He is easy to get a hold of, and has never had a problem adjusting to out hectic and ever-changing schedule.”
    David L
    on yelp.com

"The best. Smart, responsible and caring. Joe is a trusted member of our family. Has been invaluable in caring for our 3 dogs. He is always timely and focused and keeps an eye on our house and our pets. When my oldest dog was unable to walk our stairs, Joe carried her up and down, for the last year of her life. Solid individual, always follows up with a text when walking our guys. We couldn't do without him. Our dogs are difficult too, but he is very experienced and calm.”
    Dave F
    on yelp.com

"Joe is phenomenal. For four years, he has been taking care of our two golden retrievers, and when necessary, our kids' dogs, plus our cat. He is 100 percent reliable, responsible and professional. He loves our pets and they return the sentiment. He comes in nights and weekends when necessary and I can't think of anyone I would trust more with our sometimes challenging animals.”
    Melissa D
    on yelp.com

You will not regret using MJS Pet Sitting. Joe, the owner of the business, will come to your home on a first visit to get acquainted with your pups. He's very flexible when it comes to times and days to walk your dogs (he can even do weekends!) and can be available at a moment's notice. Whenever he hires new walkers for the company, he always introduces his clients to the walkers (all of whom I have met and have enjoyed). Joe will treat your dogs like they were his own (and he does have his own), so you'll have peace-of-mind when MJS Pet Sitters come to your home. MJS will even work with other animals such as cats and caged pets. Joe is also considerate in terms of entering your home. Quite often I'll find my mail and/or newspapers sitting on my kitchen table--an added bonus. Use MJS Pet Sitting. You cannot go wrong.”
    Jimmy P
    on yelp.com

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I just made the images circles for you. It actually turns out there is already a "circle" CSS class you can select, but I also made a new one just to illustrate how it can be done. My first screenshot is me creating a new class and the steps to do so. Then the second screenshot is illustrating how to select it for the other images.

I’d like to have Testimonial go before Contact Us, but can’t seem to grab it to move it.

I made this change for you as well. I didn't have any issue with it, I'm using Chrome right now. It's possible there may be some issues relating to Microsoft's Edge browser. Is that what you were using to try to swap the menu items?

As for the content disappearing after saving. That is very odd. I tested it while in your site and didn't see that same issue. I will mention that we hope to release Upfront 1.0 on Monday, which will bring in a whole ton of performance optimizations and other fixes.

It isn't guaranteed for Monday of course, but that is the target right now

Look forward to hearing back on this.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Confined to the house by around 17" of snow, and still falling, in Philadelphia. I'll look at this tomorrow. I tried the idea with the slides, of putting the pictures on the frame I had in Google Slides. I then to download as .jpg and then upload them to Upfront. This should work, will look nice with the background and all the frames will be the same size, even if the pictures aren't.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Here is the update… again.

Circle borders for photos:
    The circle borders for pictures on testimonial page didn't work right away. I changed settings; changed settings as formatted in photos with circle (see attached). Finally, I deleted pictures, reimported, worked.

Kant quote:
    The Kant quote that is in the templated footer at the bottom of each page had quotation marks and the blockquote. When I tried to delete the quotation marks, the whole quote disappeared. I did Undo, but when I tried again to delete the quotation marks, it disappeared again. I must’ve gotten a step ahead, because Undo didn’t work. I found the quote online again, readded, already without the quotation marks.

Accreditation page:
    I wanted to highlight MJS qualifications in green shade and couldn’t because the OK box in the colors was cut off. I decided to center the sentences on a separate line. I was able to color it in the green I wanted.

Testimonials on other pages:
    I deleted testimonials from home and services pages, kept one on home page, said “More on testimonials page.”

Address on home page:
    The Home page had address and map toward bottom of page and I couldn't move them up the page because of the regions. I saw the address was also further up the page, so it was on the page twice. I moved that down with the new map (client moved). I deleted the other address; deleted regions to move quotes up

This took almost 2 hours, then I went to shovel some more snow from around the car before it got dark and the snow hard. My son was still in his pajamas.

Slide Show:
    I added new photos to Google Slides show in the common sized frame. The pictures of the pets were different sizes, but they were within the slide frame. I downloaded slides as .jpgs to laptop and renamed. I added slides to Slider, centered, extended the frames. When viewing the page, the show is smaller than in Upfront and hanging left. A few slides popped up larger than the other slides. I don’t mind If it’s smaller, as long as you can see the picture and caption. Just want it consistent. What I see in Upfront is the same as on the viewed site.

E-mail:
    On Monday, I was at another site in Chrome and tried clicking on an e-mail address and nothing happened there either.

Meta tags:
    We talked about meta tags a while back, why we want from the one pager back to normal. Can I enter those in the backend dashboard in Pages, or do they have to be entered in “Upfront” dashboard? How do you set-up Google Analytics? These are reminders of what’s basically left to do.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I'm not seeing the site in your listing anymore, did you deactivate our dashboard?

The dashboard needs to be active in order for us to use the support access.

Circle borders for photos:
    The circle borders for pictures on testimonial page didn't work right away. I changed settings; changed settings as formatted in photos with circle (see attached). Finally, I deleted pictures, reimported, worked.

This is due to the shape of the image, since it's a rectangle like that adding the border radius won't make it into a perfect circle, if you re-size that image so it's closer to a square then it will look better with that CSS class

E-mail:
    On Monday, I was at another site in Chrome and tried clicking on an e-mail address and nothing happened there either.

You can try this Chrome add-on here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailto-for-gmail/dgkkmcknielgdhebimdnfahpipajcpjn

Meta tags:
    We talked about meta tags a while back, why we want from the one pager back to normal. Can I enter those in the backend dashboard in Pages, or do they have to be entered in “Upfront” dashboard? How do you set-up Google Analytics? These are reminders of what’s basically left to do.

Adding meta tags in the backend should work

The other issues I'll need support access open again to have a closer look.

I'll also just mention quickly that we plan to push out Upfront 1.0 on Monday, which I think will make the Upfront user experience much smoother for you!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I don't know what happened with the dashboard. I just updated it and a couple of plug-ins. No notice of the Upfront update. Access extended 3 days.

Mailto:
    You can try this Chrome add-on here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailto-for-gmail/dgkkmcknielgdhebimdnfahpipajcpjn

After I installed this Mailto,
    clicking on e-mail Joe opens my gmail with my signature, but with his address in the To box. I tried putting his address, which is @comcast, in the Google Apps domain box, but then that brought a server error because it wasn't a Google address. Posted on their Support. Someone in the Reviews said he found another way without the extension, but I didn't see what he was referring to. I posted to him, too. A lot of people couldn't get this to work, though they have different issues than mine. I checked back the other link you gave me last week and no one has replied to me.

Slide Show
    Looks one way in Upfront, another on the site.

Social media icons
    I checked Google images for social media icons, just need Facebook and Google+, maybe yelp, but couldn't find exact match of what's on the site now. Tryin to find your post about the shortcodes. Can check shortcodes from my site, though it wasn't a WPMU theme.

Testimonial page link
    Testimonial page is testimonial2, but getting page can't be found.

Thinking OL
    1. Missing dog photo, add to slides
    or
    1. Fix slide show
    2. Fix testimonial link
    3. Fix mailto:
    4. Add met tags
    5. Add facebook and gooogle+ icons and links. Yelp if possible.
    6. Correct how responsive looks

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I tried Firefox to see what happens when email Joe is clicked, and a tab of my Chrome home page popped up. In Edge, the pop-up says "Do you need to switch apps? Trying to Open Chrome." Click yes and my Chrome home page pops up. So, it's acting quirky in multiple places. I'm wondering if we should take it out and just direct people to the Contact form.

Updated WPMU Dashboard again and extended access four more days.

• mkleiner

2/3/16
    Tyler,
    Found problem with testimonial link and it's fixed and working.

In my business web site dashboard, which is not using WPMU theme, but has the themes as choices, the Upfront update was there, but not in this site.

I found some Google+ icons in Google Images (good place to look), though not a perfect match to the Facebook one on the site. When I upgraded to Windows 10, I knew my versions of Dreamweaver and Fireworks were not compatible. Since, Photoshop is so expensive and gimp is free, my son told me to get gimp. For the last hour or so, I’ve been trying to get a) the color of the navigation bar (I have the hexadecimal number), but it keeps putting it in the foreground and I can’t find Bring to the front or send to the back. B) if I create a new item, I can then fill c) but when I try to resize the icon, I can’t find constrain proportions, so the logo is disappearing. When I tried to add one to the navigation bar, it was way too large. ? I’ll check manual and/or ask my son.
    Re the email, maybe the new release will fix it? At one point, it was working for you.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I found how to scale images in Gimp instructions manual, but the manual was real short and there was nothing about fill background color or "bring to front" or "send to back." Maybe, there's an expanded manual online. I said forget it and let's see how the icons look on the site and get the proper size.

I tried red g with circle around it and white G with gray background G+ icons. I got it to the approximate size as Facebook (f) icon. Now the f is longer and navigation bar is longer vertically. I couldn't change size of navigation bar back. Clicked on pencil and dragged bottom up. I also tried placing the icon in css, using the URL to Google+ icon in the media gallery.

I also tried creating an image with just the background color and another with the image, but this caused problems, too.

Upfront 1.0 finally showed up in the dashboard and it suggested backing up with Snapshots. I installed that, but it had all these settings, so after selecting some, I left to have lunch with a friend. I came back and did a backup. When I went to Upfront, I clicked "proceed to edit" and it's going on 30 minutes and it's still loading.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

It looks like it's all updated now. I'm surprised it was taking so long! It may have been a server issue. It should have updated within less than a minute.

Have you checked out your previous issues since it's been updated? Wondering if the update helped with some or all of them. At first it might not look like much has changed but essentially the whole drag and drop interface has been re-done.

As for the mailto: links, I agree that it is probably best to just link to a contact form. Even if you get the mailto: links working in your Chrome browser, that doesn't mean that it will be working in everyone elses. So you don't really want to rely on users having setup their mailto: behaviour.

Which page is your slide show on again? I'm not seeing it anymore.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Access extended 5 days.

1. On Thursday, after 8 hours, Upfront was still loading In Chrome. Today, it's been over an hour and it's still loading. Now, two hours, still loading in Chrome.

I switched to Microsoft Edge. It took a few minutes, and had the “When you load Upfron Editor, it may take a while. Be patient! It’s worth it, promise,” note. That doesn’t even show in Chrome.

2. Removed email Joe and went to use form on Contact us page on all pages.

3. Still problem in navigation bar with size of Facebook and Google+ icons and moving the bottom of navigation up to bottom of buttons. If you click on the Facebook and Google+ icons, the length is still extending down to bottom of navigation. When I try to move the bottom of the icons up, if I go too far, part of the icon gets cut off. I'm clicking on the pencil and then grabbing the yellow line in the middle and moving up, but nothing happens. The icons don't look right, alignment, too far apart. Just went back and the navigation bar got all crazy, links one place, Facebook icon hidden, but I didn't save, so it came back to the previous problem here.

4. On Services page (services-4), tried dragging copy toward right so it would be better aligned. Would not move. Saw (new) little gear on top of text box and preset center. Didn’t know what breadcrumbs meant. Centered the text, but bullet points stayed left and if I try to center, highlighting all of them and then the black options box pops up, heading, bold, italic, alignment, etc., only first bullet point moves and aligns to center.

The heading Now Offering Overnight House Sitting is now misaligned.

Slide show looks different in Upfront than on web site.

5. Testimonials page (testimonial2). Would like to move name under testimonial to the right, but won’t move when I try to click on center or right in the popup elements.

6. FAQs. Question 3 looks like different font, won’t change.

7. Am I allowed to delete 2014 Meg Campbell Archives/Terms/Privacy at the bottom of pages?

Michael

• mkleiner

2/11/16
    Tyler,
    Yesterday, I opened new Upfront in Chrome on desktop computer. Today, I had to update Spirit and WPMU Dashboard and on laptop opened new Upfront in Chrome. Then, I started trying to fix things.
    1. The Facebook icon is to the left of the Google+ icon in the navigation bar, but it can’t be seen. If you click to the left of the Google+ icon, the area is highlighted but the Facebook icon still does not appear. Slowly, moving the navigation bar up to the links, in part using Element Padding. I think the problem is the length of the Facebook icon and maybe the Google+ as well.
    2. There are still problems with the slide show. I aligned every slide center and every slide centered in Upfront. When viewing the site—and refreshing page—the slides are still on the left. The size of the dogs were small but ok. Then the cat pictures were big and parts of the slides were cut off. On the title slides, I had Petsitting as one word and every where else it’s two words. I corrected them and added the new slides. All the new things pop up and you don’t know what’s new. I set a default preset. I don’t know whether this made the slides large. Then, you could see everything. When viewing the site, the slides were still on the left and small. With the new interface, I couldn’t find where I could try to set each slide the same size. I found for the title slide. Media Gallery?
    3. Also on that page, the blockquote doesn’t appear in Upfront, does when viewing the site. The font changed for the quote underneath the Services heading and I keep trying to click on the left dot under the blockquote icon. The second quote in the footer is now below the first quote in the footer.
    4. The heading Now Offering Overnight House Sitting is now misaligned.
    5. On Services page, tried dragging copy toward right so better aligned. The other day it wouldn’t move. Saw little gear on top of text box and pressed center. Didn’t know what breadcrumbs was. Centered the text, but bullet points stayed left and if I try to center, highlighting all of them and then the black options pop up, heading, bold, italic, alignment, etc., only first bullet point aligns to center. Today, not even the first bullet moved center.
    6. Testimonials page. Would like to move name to right, but won’t move when I try to click on center or right in the popup elements.
    7. FAQs. Question 3 looks different font, won’t change
    8. Am I allowed to delete 2014 Meg Campbell Archives/Terms/Privacy at the bottom of pages?
    9. Access extended five days.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

1. The Facebook icon is to the left of the Google+ icon in the navigation bar, but it can’t be seen. If you click to the left of the Google+ icon, the area is highlighted but the Facebook icon still does not appear. Slowly, moving the navigation bar up to the links, in part using Element Padding. I think the problem is the length of the Facebook icon and maybe the Google+ as well.

I think it would be easiest if we just used another plugin to display the social icons

I've tested out this one and it works well in Upfront: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-social-icons/

I've attached a screenshot of the settings I used. You will want to add the shortcode to a Upfront widget element, use the "Text" widget. If you would like to me to set this up for you just let me know.

2. There are still problems with the slide show. I aligned every slide center and every slide centered in Upfront. When viewing the site—and refreshing page—the slides are still on the left. The size of the dogs were small but ok. Then the cat pictures were big and parts of the slides were cut off. On the title slides, I had Petsitting as one word and every where else it’s two words. I corrected them and added the new slides. All the new things pop up and you don’t know what’s new. I set a default preset. I don’t know whether this made the slides large. Then, you could see everything. When viewing the site, the slides were still on the left and small. With the new interface, I couldn’t find where I could try to set each slide the same size. I found for the title slide. Media Gallery?

Let's revisit this one after we get the other issues sorted

3. Also on that page, the blockquote doesn’t appear in Upfront, does when viewing the site. The font changed for the quote underneath the Services heading and I keep trying to click on the left dot under the blockquote icon. The second quote in the footer is now below the first quote in the footer.

Very odd. I can't reproduce this on my own install. I'm thinking some CSS may be interfering here. Let's keep going with the other issues then at the end we'll re-visit the remaining issues and I can get a developer involved if needed

This is happening because the image to the right of it. It's centered within it's own area, if you move that image then it will align properly.

Another option would be to take the text out of the main content box and add it to it's own text box - then you will have more options to position it. For example, everything above and including that heading could be placed in their own text box elements and then have just the main content inside the page content box.

5. On Services page, tried dragging copy toward right so better aligned. The other day it wouldn’t move. Saw little gear on top of text box and pressed center. Didn’t know what breadcrumbs was. Centered the text, but bullet points stayed left and if I try to center, highlighting all of them and then the black options pop up, heading, bold, italic, alignment, etc., only first bullet point aligns to center. Today, not even the first bullet moved center.

I think my above solution will solve this adding the bullet points into their own text box.

6. Testimonials page. Would like to move name to right, but won’t move when I try to click on center or right in the popup elements.

This appears to be an issue with the old style of testimonials. If you go to your /testimonials/ page, the one you aren't currently using - could you use that instead? Then you should be able to align the name to the right. We can easily swap the images to that page too.

Alternatively, you can remove the name from the testimonials and add it into it's own text box.

7. FAQs. Question 3 looks different font, won’t change

This is one I'm going to ask the developer as well - it appears the image is causing this but it shouldn't be.

8. Am I allowed to delete 2014 Meg Campbell Archives/Terms/Privacy at the bottom of pages?

Yes, definitely that is just a placeholder.

Talk to you soon Michael!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

I think it would be easiest if we just used another plugin to display the social icons
    I've tested out this one and it works well in Upfront: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-social-icons/
    I've attached a screenshot of the settings I used. You will want to add the shortcode to a Upfront widget element, use the "Text" widget. If you would like to me to set this up for you just let me know.
    Yesterday, all I saw in WP Social Icons was how easy it was to add social media icons without telling you how. I looked in their support, finally saw Settings>WP Social Media Icons and saw your screencast.
    Is the [wp_social_icons] supposed to go in the text box or in the css for the text box? I’ve tried both. In the css, I’m not sure what css element needs to be put around [wp_social_icons]. I tried Right Sidebar and Regional and align:right. It might have been the right sidebar that has totally messed up the appearance of the pages, even though I tried Regional after that. I thought maybe it was the computer screen so I went to the display settings and put it on the recommended 1366x768. I restarted, but the appearance is still too big and only in Upfront. I’m confused by the presets and the presets pops up only every now and then. It doesn’t seem to be among settings.
    Now, when the page is viewed, the navigation menu is not there, replaced by the created Facebook and Google+ icons, which are not the most “smooth looking,” the dog tag is floating in the top and there are the four lines on the right, that represent a drop down menu The text is in blue, but correct in Upfront. Formatting is messed up, but not totally in Upfront. The dashboard appearance has also changed. I decided to check the backend to see if I could delete Right Sidebar. Went to Widgets, nothing there, or in Menus.

We can’t deal with the other questions until we solve above because all the pages are now messed up. Didn’t even delete Meg Campbell and Archives/Terms/Privacy. Maybe, because I didn’t save it.

Access extended five days.

This is really exasperating. We've been working on this for months. Good thing Joe isn't a pushy client. Going to try to look at the blog announcing the new version, which will say how wonderful and easy it is to do things.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I deleted the Meg Campbell and Archives/Terms/Privacy for you.

Is the [wp_social_icons] supposed to go in the text box or in the css for the text box?

You can see how I've set it up for you now. This is how it should be, in a widget text box. This way you can see the changes on the backend too

Does that look better for you? I re-sized the menu too so everything fit on the same line.

This is really exasperating. We've been working on this for months. Good thing Joe isn't a pushy client. Going to try to look at the blog announcing the new version, which will say how wonderful and easy it is to do things.

I think what we need here are docs, which we are in the process of creating. It will take out a lot of the guess work in how things should be added. Often the issues that users run into are due to trying to achieve something with the wrong element or adding customizations in the wrong place - which we are working to improve the usability to prevent those sort of errors. I do appreciate all your patience here.

Let me know what you think of the changes I made.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

2/19/16

Tyler,

Access extended 6 days from today.

Here's the latest, some good news. Nice about the docs. If you saw my email to WPMU, I suggested they slow down the videos so people can see where and what they're doing. New people don't know the interface, and people familiar with the interface still need time to see what's different. They can still show how "easy" or "fast" you can do something without running a demo in super fast motion. 12 developers worked a year on this and you're going to show the customers how to use it by running demos that fast? Screenshots are attached.
    First, comes my initial question(s) and your answer. In italics, are most recent attempts.

Here are summaries.

Facebook and Google+ icons:
    Icons look fine, but where did you put the short code, within the widget or in css? Clicking on the text box, and then clicking on Settings shows me that you put the shortcode in the content of the text widget. I think this is settled.

3. The quotes in the footer, the blockquote doesn’t appear in Upfront, does when viewing the site. The font changed for the quote underneath the Services heading and I keep trying to click on the left dot under the blockquote icon. The second quote in the footer is now below the first quote in the footer.

The blockquote is still invisible in Upfront, but visible when viewing the site. The fonts are finally the same in Upfront and online. I fixed the problem with the second quote aligning lower than the first quote using Element Padding. I redid the heading under Services, and it is fine, now.

The wideness of the page was a zoom issue. When I zoomed out, it fixed the formatting. (When things aren't going well and you're harried, you don't think of these things. This was only happening in Upfront. The laptop's resolution was fine). The text is now black online. Now, I can see you deleted the Meg Campbell and Archives/Terms/Privacy . My concern is the “sensitivity” of the font color changing the way it does.

This is happening because the image to the right of it. It's centered within it's own area, if you move that image then it will align properly.
    Another option would be to take the text out of the main content box and add it to it's own text box - then you will have more options to position it. For example, everything above and including that heading could be placed in their own text box elements and then have just the main content inside the page content box.

The Services page has been a bear, although it is looking up. I tried your suggestion of creating individual text boxes. I still struggled with centering, dragging the top two text boxes, and aligning them using the edges of the text box. I would move the sides in, but they would bounce back out. The bulleted list would also not center and the same issue with using the sides. On the other hand, right now, all the text is left aligned and doesn't look bad. However, the first paragraph is the wrong font. I have changed it, highlighting and choosing paragraph, but when I finish, it reverts back to the wrong font (like the question 3 on FAQs page). That and the slide show on this page has to be fixed.

This appears to be an issue with the old style of testimonials. If you go to your /testimonials/ page, the one you aren't currently using - could you use that instead? Then you should be able to align the name to the right. We can easily swap the images to that page too.
    Alternatively, you can remove the name from the testimonials and add it into it's own text box.

I did that previously and then you showed me how to do the circle. I stuck with this page and created separate text boxes for the people’s names. The names are in their own text boxes. Better aligned. On this page, the sides were able to be lined up with the text as opposed to the other page (s). They look far down, especially Jimmy. I tried moving the bottom of the quote up with the crosshairs/move tool, but it bounced back.

That's it for now.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

6. I did that previously and then you showed me how to do the circle. I stuck with this page and created separate text boxes for the people’s names. The names are in their own text boxes. Better aligned. On this page, the sides were able to be lined up with the text as opposed to the other page (s). They look far down, especially Jimmy. I tried moving the bottom of the quote up with the crosshairs/move tool, but it bounced back.

I fixed the positioning of the names for you. The issue was that there were some extra spaces in the text so it wasn't letting you make the text element smaller as it wouldn't let you cover the spaces that were made. I've made a screencast to illustrate how I fixed this: http://screencast.com/t/InLUrGeOx

5. The Services page has been a bear, although it is looking up. I tried your suggestion of creating individual text boxes. I still struggled with centering, dragging the top two text boxes, and aligning them using the edges of the text box. I would move the sides in, but they would bounce back out. The bulleted list would also not center and the same issue with using the sides. On the other hand, right now, all the text is left aligned and doesn't look bad. However, the first paragraph is the wrong font. I have changed it, highlighting and choosing paragraph, but when I finish, it reverts back to the wrong font (like the question 3 on FAQs page). That and the slide show on this page has to be fixed.

I deleted the first paragraph and pasted it back in with a new text element. That seems to have worked. I'm guessing it was using a different tag in the previous text box. Was that an old text box from the original page you had?

Either way, it should be good to go now.

As for the bullet points, I've made a screencast to illustrate how to center them if you do choose too: http://screencast.com/t/j4GdpiQZBQEd

You should be able to align it with the alignment format tool though, I've marked this as a bug so it can be fixed up for the next release.

----

The rest of the points mentioned above and the pdf based on my last reply appear to be resolved now? If I'm missing an issue you mentioned that is still a problem then just let me know

By the way, thanks for the detailed replies!

Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thanks for your work. Today, I was able to move the box with bulleted points. Maybe, the mouse rested for the weekend and is now refreshed.
    Here's what I dug up and think we have left.
    1. Missing dog photo, add to slides (from the client. I keep reminding him. He said that dog is no longer a client but he has pictures.
    or
    1. The size of the slides in the slide show (services-4)
    2. Rename pages
    3. Correct how responsive looks
    4. Where to add met tags (I think you said I can do it in the backend from the dashboard)
    5. Installing and setting up Google Analytics
    6. Migrating site to its domain (with host)

Recommended theme(s) for redesign of my book site. Be more involved. Though, anything is customizable. I had a start with a non-WPMU theme. Don't remember if i paid for that theme.

Michael

• mkleiner

I finally got the photo of Breslin, though it looks exactly like Toby. I was able to add the circle, using presets>circle image. Looks kind of big on the home page, though there's only one testimonial there, so it doesn't look terrible. When I tried to resize it, then the texture of the left border changed in appearance, so I left the way it is. Was able to get it smaller on testimonial page. Then, I realized I had the wrong quote on the home page, so I had to copy and paste from the Testimonial page. I added the slide to the show, but we still have to work on the sizing of the show.

Access extended 3 days.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

6. Migrating site to its domain (with host)

We will get to this at the end

We can use our Google Analytics plugin to help simplify this process: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/google-analytics-for-wordpress-mu-sitewide-and-single-blog-solution/

4. Where to add met tags (I think you said I can do it in the backend from the dashboard)

You will need to install our SmartCrawl plugin first:

Then one each edit page(backend) you will see some meta fields as seen in my screenshot

What is wrong with the Responsiveness again? I checked your home page and it looks good on mobile but there is some additional white space. Is that the issue?

2. Rename pages

I'm able to re-name your pages from within the Upfront editor. I tested several pages, are you still having trouble with this? and if so then please link me to a specific page

1. The size of the slides in the slide show (services-4)

Do you want them to be smaller? I noticed you had a lot of padding below the slider so I removed that. I think that's made it look better. Check it out and let me know what you think.

On the accreditations page there are two blue boxes, with radio buttons for No Link; External Link; Link to a Post or Page; Show target image, and OK (see attached). I've seen them before. This morning I saw them in Chrome and Edge. Now, they are gone in Chrome, still showing in Edge.
    Are you seeing this?

I'm seeing this in IE11 on your site as well. I'm not able to replicate it on my own install though.

Can you try deleting and re-adding the images? If that doesn't work then would it be possible to send me your cPanel credentials?

That way we will have access to your DB and I can ask one of our Upfront developers to look into it.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -cPanel credentials (login url/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

Talk to you soon Michael!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Access extended five days.
    Accreditation page: Deleted Pet Sitters certificate and PSI logo and reinserted finding Add Image icon. The certificate looks fine. To the left of PSI logo is image box without the image, in Chrome. In Edge, the blue box is still on the left and Ok box to the right of PSI. Clicked around the text in Upfront to see if I could find the mysterious missing element but wasn’t able to.

1. Slide Show: Thanks for fixing the padding. If you view the show, the title slides are cut off on the right. Some images don’t look centered. Trouble begins when you try to stretch the slides so the titles aren’t cut off and images centered. Looks off if leave it. Removed Toby, though it wasn’t Toby, was Breslin.

I have the Google Analytics and Smart Crawl plug-ins in the dashboard already, need to install.
    Change Page Name: Right Click>Edit URL>Click on link icon. Change names when we’re ready to migrate site.

Text wrong color.
    Accreditation page: two logos hang over the sides.
    Testimonials: one dog not matched with testimonial.
    Services: Slide Show: Slides extended far in responsive.
    FAQs: Question 3 in FAQs still wrong font on site and responsive.

Other:
    a. Question 3 in FAQs is still wrong font.
    b. Sliver of navigation bar color under the links. Tried moving it up, but not working.
    c. Noticed Experienced, Insured, Bonded is in the banner of the home page, but not the other pages. Probably because I added those lines to the banner in Upfront and not in graphic program, so not part of the global region. May leave it as is.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Sorry for such a delay. Could you re-grant support access again? I've set a reminder to make sure I check back in on this tomorrow

Accreditation page: Deleted Pet Sitters certificate and PSI logo and reinserted finding Add Image icon. The certificate looks fine. To the left of PSI logo is image box without the image, in Chrome. In Edge, the blue box is still on the left and Ok box to the right of PSI. Clicked around the text in Upfront to see if I could find the mysterious missing element but wasn’t able to.

This is inregards to the options showing on the frontend right? I see it's there in Firefox now too. Would you be able to send in your cPanel credentials so we have db access?

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -cPanel credentials (login url/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

I have the Google Analytics and Smart Crawl plug-ins in the dashboard already, need to install.
    Change Page Name: Right Click>Edit URL>Click on link icon. Change names when we’re ready to migrate site.

Not sure I'm understanding the issue on this one? Or are you just waiting until you migrate the site to use it?

The rest of your questions I'll have a look at once I can login

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

1. Slide Show: Thanks for fixing the padding. If you view the show, the title slides are cut off on the right. Some images don’t look centered. Trouble begins when you try to stretch the slides so the titles aren’t cut off and images centered. Looks off if leave it. Removed Toby, though it wasn’t Toby, was Breslin.

I found the issue here, the images are stretched to big for the slide since it was re-sized. I made a screencast to illustrate how to re-size them properly: http://screencast.com/t/PBbMTDydqa

I've re-sized them up to "Maude" so you should see an improvement there already.

Other:
    a. Question 3 in FAQs is still wrong font.
    b. Sliver of navigation bar color under the links. Tried moving it up, but not working.

Both of these should be resolved as well

Text wrong color.

The text colour you can change in the Mobile responsive view as seen in my screenshot:

The testimonials is fixed as well, I added each testimonial to it's own region so it would know which sections to break up

I'm asking our Upfront developers about this now since you've sent in db access, thanks for that! Soon as I hear back from them I'll post back here.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thanks for the help.

I found the issue here, the images are stretched to big for the slide since it was re-sized. I made a screencast to illustrate how to re-size them properly: http://screencast.com/t/PBbMTDydqa

I've re-sized them up to "Maude" so you should see an improvement there already.

Tried two mice, two computers, a mouse pad, and the damn mouse won't let me grab the orange edge to move it in. I can grab the whole image and move it but that doesn't help. I'n unclear how this ensures every slide is the same size. You're doing this in Upfront right on the slide show? Part of the screen had the photos on the left side, but I couldn't remember/find how to do that.

Text wrong color.
    The text colour you can change in the Mobile responsive view as seen in my screenshot:

The testimonials is fixed as well, I added each testimonial to it's own region so it would know which sections to break up

Looks like I got the font color changed. I couldn't align the collar properly under the Services heading. When I came out of responsive, the regular pages were messed up. I exited without saving and the home page looked fine when I returned. Other pages, the banner was messed up. When I looked at the site on my phone, the banners looked fine. The text on the FAQs, Accreditation and Services pages are way to the left. Of course, the slide show is messed up.
    ---------------------
    You were waiting to hear from the developers about the logo problem on the Accreditation page. The banner on that page and the navigation bar are messed up.

I'm really frustrated and disgusted. My book site is going to have seven slide shows and a blog.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I've fixed all the images in your slider. Some are still cut off but that will be because they weren't 960x540 to begin with, which is what most of them were and why I re-sized your slider to that

I can grab the whole image and move it but that doesn't help. I'n unclear how this ensures every slide is the same size.

I'm not sure why you were unable to re-size them. I just clicked the "edit image" icon then grabbed the corner and dragged it like in my video. I tried in multiple browsers and it still worked for me.

You were waiting to hear from the developers about the logo problem on the Accreditation page.

This has been fixed on your site it wasn't saving properly and it did reveal a bug that our developer will get fixed for the next release.

As for the slideshow in mobile. Right now our slider is adaptive, meaning it will adapt to screensizes but it will cut off some of the image while doing this. I think what might be easier here if you're wanting a fully responsive slider is to use a plugin such as Meta Slider: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/ml-slider/

That one will work responsively instead of adaptively. If you would like to give that a try then I can help set it up, essentially you create the slider in the backend then paste the shortcode into a region.

I'm really frustrated and disgusted. My book site is going to have seven slide shows and a blog.

Apologies for your experience so far here. I think many of the odd issues we're seeing are because the site started pre-Upfront 1.0 and the upgrade didn't go as smoothly on your setup, so we are dealing with the leftover issues from that. For a new site starting on Upfront 1.0+ you will likely have a much smoother experience.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thank you for taking care of these issues. I even went out and got a "higher level" mouse, which I then had to set up and get comfortable with. Still didn't seem to work.

The main site seems to be done, except I had a navigation in the footer that is no longer there. The site loads relatively quickly. In the responsive, it looks one way in Upfront and another on my phone and on Silk on Kindle Fire. Haven't we seen that before? Images that were wrapped into the text, are off to the side in mobile view. There are three pages with the text at the far left. On my phone, however, if I pinch the screen to enlarge it to read it better, the text fills the screen, so that would seem good. The slide show should probably be fixed the way you said. On the phone, I don't see part of the pet, on Kindle Fire, I see some.

Then, there's meta tags, renaming pages, Google Analytics and migrating to managed wordpress server. Thinking out loud.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

That text/image alignment issue looks to me related to the previous image in text element issues. It should be fixed when the bug is fixed; however, I'm asking the developer if we're able to fix it on your site in the meantime

The meta tags you can use our SmartCrawl plugin: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/smartcrawl-wordpress-seo/

You will find those fields on each edit page from the backend, the settings aren't currently available within the Upfront editor.

renaming pages

Which pages aren't you able to re-name?

Google Analytics

You can use our Google Analytics plugin to make setting this up easier

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/google-analytics-for-wordpress-mu-sitewide-and-single-blog-solution/

I think I mentioned those further up, but just recapping them again so it's easier fine.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I installed Smart Crawler and worked on the meta tags, basically taking them from the previous web site, but maybe adding or deleting stuff. I also tried changing the name of the pages/permalinks from the back end where I was doing the meta tags. They didn't all work. However, I was able to change in Upfront from Settings within navigation. Except, testimonials keeps pushing to testimonials-2. If I trash the other testimonials page, will the name change work? The home page is mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft, but I can't find that at the backend to do the meta tags or the front end. Should I wait until the site migrates to do the meta tags for that page?All the page names at the moment are mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft/pagename
    Not willing to complete a generally positive afternoon, I tried to create the navigation menu as a footer. Except, it was applied to the main menu, so that is now text. Wanting to still have my sanity, I'll leave it to you to tell me how to fix it or fix it for me. Undo didn't work, probably because I had saved it. I worked in the Settings that popped up when highlighting menu item, that appears on the left side.
    Access set up for five days.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

It looks like the menu styling you had was from the pre-1.0 version of Spirit, part of the issue I mentioned above. So when you changed the preset and saved, the previous styling was lost.

No worries though, I created a new preset and styled it as close to what I remember the previous one looking like. The font is still off but it's easy to change the font you can do that from the menu appearance settings as seen in my screenshot:

If I trash the other testimonials page, will the name change work?

You will need to trash it and then also delete the trashed page too then it will work.

The home page is mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft, but I can't find that at the backend to do the meta tags or the front end

The home page you can add keywords for from the SmartCrawl settings

Go to:

Settings > SmartCrawl > Title & Meta.

You will see the home page listed there as seen in my screenshot below.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further troubles with the menu.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,

I added the title, descriptions, keywords for the homepage. Did I have to place between %%? For the other pages, I went to All Pages>Choose page>Edit and Smart Crawler was at the bottom of the page. I added the titles, descriptions, and keywords there.
    There’s no blog for this site so I did not set up Automatic Links.
    How do I get Google and Bing verified codes?
    I haven’t set up the Moz yet.
    How are the settings?

I changed the font on navigation menu.
    Bottom of navigation bar needs to be moved up and, again, now, this new mouse is not grabbing the bottom. I’m trying to move it up but nothing happens.
    I’m trying to put the navigation menu in the footer. In the most recent attempt, I created a region below the quotes. I tried to make it a global region. It would not let me highlight Footer in the drop down on the right side of the Global Dialog box that pops up after clicking on the yellow + sign to create the region. I dragged the Menu item roughly under the quotes at the bottom of the page in what should be the added region. In the Menu settings, I indicated to apply main menu to the footer.
    It did, except the menu in the footer cannot be seen, unless you hover around the area and an item pops up. I looked at the web page and same thing. The footer was not applied to the other pages. Now, it looks like there might not be a new region under the quotes, because the quotes are being effected when I attempt to move the footer or stretch it.

• Tyler Postle

I added the title, descriptions, keywords for the homepage. Did I have to place between %%?

Not for the home page info, that's only for the post type title/descriptions below it - it indicates a placeholder that will be filled by the content relevant to that page

How do I get Google and Bing verified codes?

Google webmaster tools: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/

Bing webmaster tools: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/webmaster

You will need to sign up at both those urls then it will explain how to verify your site with them.

I haven’t set up the Moz yet.
    How are the settings?

If you want to use Moz as well then just sign up for a free account here: https://moz.com/products/api/pricing

Once signed up you should get an access ID and secret key to use in the Moz settings.

Bottom of navigation bar needs to be moved up and, again, now, this new mouse is not grabbing the bottom. I’m trying to move it up but nothing happens.

I've just fixed this for you

I’m trying to put the navigation menu in the footer.

The reason you weren't able to see it was because you were using the same appearance preset as your main menu, which is white text. I've changed the preset to footer as you can see in my screenshot:

You can have a look at it now, if you need to change the styling just change it in the appearance settings for that menu now. You should see that it's a different preset from your main menu so you can style them independently.

Now, it looks like there might not be a new region under the quotes, because the quotes are being effected when I attempt to move the footer or stretch it.

The section with your quotes is your themes footer so that is the one that will be on every page. If you want a menu in your footer then you may want to add it in that one. Otherwise you will need to add your new "footer menu" global region on each page. I've just added to your contact page so you can see how it looks.

If you still have further questions on that just let me know

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,

I got to only two things today, second one is a new problem. For the footer menu, it was easier to create the global region than fiddle with the quotes footer, since it was two columns.

I decided to finally copy the Experience, Insured, Bonded, which I had added to the banner as text on the home page, to the other pages. In the process of doing that I noticed the banners on the other pages were not the same as on the home page. How and when this happened I don't know. The same problem(s) I had way back when, when creating the banner, only the last element of the navigation bar gets has the pencil icon and the four + for adding regions doesn't appear. I tried deleting the banner and dragging a new image icon to the top. When I added the correct graphic (wordpressbanner) the background color of the navigation came with it, and the banner hung down too far. Again, the mouse could not grab the yellow corner. As I've said before, I've tried different mice, mouse pad, no mouse pad, different computers.

I just extended access five days.
    Ugh! We're so close to being done.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

So close!

In the process of doing that I noticed the banners on the other pages were not the same as on the home page. How and when this happened I don't know.

The reason that changes to your home page header didn't change the others was because it was no longer a global region, at some point it must have been localized to that page. I made it global again and then saved, which copied the changes across to your other pages too

I'm a little confused on the second part though, are you having trouble swapping an image out somewhere? Could you send a screenshot of what you are trying to change. Sounds like maybe the main banner? Or does my above fix resolve your second problem too.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I haven't had much chance to get to this since April 19 and wanted to wait in case I had problems with other attempts. I wanted to let you know I'm still here and not done. These are the notes from April 19.
    Tyler,
    Déjà vu all over again. Thanks for fixing the banner, with the Experience, Insured, Bonded. How are you resetting as global region? Each part of the navigation is its own element, so I can’t get the four + signs.
    I had to fix the links to the Contact Us page.
    Then, I noticed About Joe page was missing from the navigation. Added it to the main menu, but Contact Us jumped to another line. Made the font smaller to get all on one line. Guess what happened after that. The background is again too far down. I was able to get to move it some, but now I can’t.
    I struggled with adding About Joe to the bottom footer menu. Footer menu with a capital F is in the presets and that had Archive, etc. In global it’s lower case f, but I couldn’t get the links to come up on the left side sidebar. The main menu then had a slash from the bottom menu. Somehow, I got it to work, though on the main menu, the links kept changing order and I kept having to reorder them.
    How is Upfront 1.2 going to effect the site?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

No problem

How are you resetting as global region?

You need to go into the region settings and click "edit" beside the name, that will let you make it global again, or it might say "localized" there in which case you can click that. Localized means that it's no longer global.

Can you grant support access again? Then I can fix the menu background

and as for the footer menu, are you still having an issue there? It looks fine to me on your site.

How is Upfront 1.2 going to effect the site?

The update shouldn't change anything you've already done but it did add in some new features

Changelog
    ----------------
    - Add: admin interface.
    - Add: general and debug settings in admin interface.
    - Add: user roles restrictions in admin interface.
    - Add: experimental performance optimization in admin interface.
    - Add: image element redesign.
    - Add: ready-made CSS selectors for post data elements.
    - Add: keyboard shortcut for grid toggle (Alt+G)

You will see a new "Upfront" menu item on the backend now where you can manage the user roles restrictions. That would be a tool you could use if you wanted to give your client access to Upfront but not give them full access to all the Upfront elements/settings.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I cannot get into Upfront today. It huffs and puffs between 69%-72% rendering until I get a Wait or Kill option. I closed out and restarted laptop, closed out, shutdown laptop and restarted laptop. I switched to desktop computer. While the desktop is not huffing and puffing,, it's getting stopped at the same point, though it just reached 73%, but going real slow, stopped.

I looked at the site on my Samsung Galaxy s6 and Kindle Fire HD 8". Home page, Testimonials and Contact Us look find except for the navigation menu. The other pages are aligned to the left side and the slide show is cut off. I was going to try to work on changes, but can't get into Upfront.

New access granted.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I did manage to replicate it stalling with Chrome. I re-saved your template using Firefox and that appears to have fixed it. There must have been an issue on your last save - resaving corrected it.

I also fixed the background gap on your menu. Try out the Upfront editor on Chrome and Edge, let me know if it's still stalling for you or not.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    This morning I decided to go straight to Upfront before opening any other pages, tabs. I did have to x out from a few of them. It loaded, so it was either because of what you did, or starting fresh or combination of both. I was using Chrome. I had tried exiting out of pages before. Once, I get through the e-mail, I'll see what I can do. I think I have to fix up the responsive, Google Analytics, change file names, migrate the site.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I'm confused with editing in responsive mode. Most of the issues are in mobile view because it's the smalle, bur size. I finally got the navigation to be the accordion/lines in tablet mode, but when I went back to mobile, the drop down was there and I couldn't get rid of it (size of meonitor?) and couldn't remember or find how I got to editing the navigation. However, when I checked my phone, it looked fine.

1. Problems are pictures on FAQs, accreditation pages are off screen. How do I move them in with everything else?
    2. Slide show on services page is cut off.
    3. The banner doesn't appear in mobile mode.

Access extended 4 days.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I finally got the navigation to be the accordion/lines in tablet mode, but when I went back to mobile, the drop down was there and I couldn't get rid of it (size of meonitor?)

Would you be able to attach a screenshot of what you're seeing here?

1. Problems are pictures on FAQs, accreditation pages are off screen. How do I move them in with everything else?

I see this as well. I've messaged one of our Upfront developers about this as it's very unusual for an image to be doing this.

2. Slide show on services page is cut off.

Yes, right now the slideshows are adaptive. So the size will adapt but it usually means cropped the image. We are working on optimizing this to better suit mobile view. In the meantime, you could use another slider plugin that is more responsive. I'd recommend Meta Slider: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/ml-slider/

Or you may want to just wait until we update the built in slider

3. The banner doesn't appear in mobile mode.

I just fixed this, the region was set to be hidden in mobile view. You can change it with the eyeball in the top right of each region while editing in mobile or tablet view.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I'm confused about editing in responsive mode, but that may be the least of the problems when Upfront won't load more than one page. It's loading the home page fine. I don't see an easier way to access another page of the site without leaving Responsive and going to Pages and then going back to Responsive. I'm running into the same issue as before. The rendering is freezing/stalling/becoming unresponsive, today at between 43%-50%, the machine is "exerting a lot of energy", just to open in regular editing. I closed all the tabs, exited, restarted the laptop and went straight to Upfront. Loaded home page fast. As soon as I tried accessing another page, the rendering would stall. Tried desktop computer and had the same issue. This has been going on for an hour and five minutes.

I'm attaching a few screenshots of issues and the message when the page is unresponsive. Most of the same issues remain since I can't get in to make any changes.

The client's hosting plan renews on June 9, so it would be great to be able to get the site into Managed WordPress Hosting by then. The regular site seems fine, though.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

The issue with the image hanging way off to the right is part of a bug from earlier, I followed up with the developer and it's still being worked on. Aligning images inside the text element is what causes the issue.

I've removed your FAQ page image for now as it will continue causing that issue until the bug is fixed, which should be in the next update then we can add the image back

You may want to remove the images from your accreditation in the meantime as well.

I don't see an easier way to access another page of the site without leaving Responsive and going to Pages and then going back to Responsive.

Yes, at the moment you need to leave responsive mode in order to view another page. I'll pass this feedback onto our Upfront team.

The rendering is freezing/stalling/becoming unresponsive, today at between 43%-50%, the machine is "exerting a lot of energy", just to open in regular editing.

This definitely should not be happening and I'm not seeing it on my side this time. I tried in both Firefox and Chrome. I've re-saved your layout again, so try and load the editor now.

I'm not seeing any screenshots attached, would you be able to re-attach those that will help me debug the issue as well if it's still happening to you.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Well, narrowed down the problem with loading the page.
    1. First, I switched to Edge to see what would happen. I tried opening a different second page. Previously, I was going to Testimonials, which has dog pictures (maybe that’s why slow to load?). Other pages opened. When I tried to open Testimonials, again it slowed, the laptop “took deep breaths”, this time getting unresponsive around 36% rendering.
    2. I checked Chrome and had the same results: all pages except Testimonials opened without a problem. Testimonials got stuck around 36%.
    3. Accreditation page: I clicked on badge in accreditation to find how to remove it, then it disappeared. But, it disappeared from the main site, too. In Chrome, badges still there. Back in Edge, the badges were still there. Then again, I hadn’t saved.
    4. FAQs page: Dog at laptop that was off the screen in responsive, also not on main site. However, do have the image of the dog with money in its mouth.
    5. Services page: Dog at laptop fine. This is the page with the slide show but it loaded fine.
    6. About Joe page: Picture of Joe and my dog are off screen.
    7. The problems seem to be in mobile mode because of the narrower screen. The images being off screen exists in tablet and mobile modes. If we delete images in responsive and they also delete from the main site, then I wouldn’t have images in the main site. Perhaps, we should leave as is for now?
    8. The main problem is the banner is cut off in mobile mode because of the narrower screen.
    9. I looked at the Testimonial page on my phone and except for the banner, the page looks fine, so we don’t have to keep trying to open it. Except to change the banner. Pages are loading well on phone, Samsung Galaxy s6.
    10. That slide show on Services page has to be fixed. You gave me a link to another slider.
    11. When are the updates coming out?
    12. Need to set up Google Analytics, migrate the site, make sure links are correct.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I can see the "x" on the menu in responsive mode, is that working for you now as well? Screenshot:

That's using Chrome.

2. I checked Chrome and had the same results: all pages except Testimonials opened without a problem. Testimonials got stuck around 36%.

This was actually related to a bug with the main javascript file. I spoke with one of the developers and got a patched main.js file which I uploaded to: /upfront/built/main.js

I re-named the older version there so you have a backup of it, but I tested out the new version and it looks to be working perfectly

****Make sure you completely clear your browser cache/cookies etc. before testing it out again.

I did remove one of your testimonial images when testing, sorry about this - I forgot which image was suppose to be there I hope you don't mind adding that one back.

11. When are the updates coming out?

The updates to the slider may not be coming for a few versions yet. Focus for the next release is on page templates. Did you want to try adding Meta Slider instead? https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/ml-slider/

I could set it up to the point where you just need to add in the images. If that would be easier.

Once we know the editor is working correctly for you then we'll look into the other responsive issues you've been facing.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Thanks for the response.
    1. Yes, probably best to set up that meta slider. Guess it goes on the main site.
    2. The exit of the menu doesn't appear on laptop or desktop, but does on my phone and Kindle Fire as it did before. Seems there are things that appear in the editing but not on actual site.
    3. On the Services page, there's a header in Chewy font "Now offering Overnight House Sitting (In normal font) Please call." I decided to add the telephone number. In responsive, I clicked in the area, but the text disappeared. I went out of responsive and the header was still there and I added the phone number. Saved. Back in responsive, phone, Kindle, text is not there.
    4. I am trying to find which dog goes with the testimonial.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

1. Yes, probably best to set up that meta slider. Guess it goes on the main site.

No problem, I can help set this up. What I'll do is set it up in a new region above your current slider then you can add images to it and once your happy with it, remove your current slider

2. The exit of the menu doesn't appear on laptop or desktop, but does on my phone and Kindle Fire as it did before. Seems there are things that appear in the editing but not on actual site.

This is in the editing mode that it's not appearing on laptop and desktop right? It was appearing for me as seen in my earlier screenshot above. Does this happen in all browsers for you?

3. On the Services page, there's a header in Chewy font "Now offering Overnight House Sitting (In normal font) Please call." I decided to add the telephone number. In responsive, I clicked in the area, but the text disappeared. I went out of responsive and the header was still there and I added the phone number. Saved. Back in responsive, phone, Kindle, text is not there.

I see the header and phone number in both my desktop and phone. Are you still seeing this issue on your end or did you manage to get it resolved?

4. I am trying to find which dog goes with the testimonial.

My apologies for this!

Once you re-grant support access then I'll setup the meta slider and further investigate the no exit button on the menu.

Look forward to hearing back

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    1. Thank you
    2. In Chrome, in Responsive, x to exit menu does not appear, only in mobile mode. In Edge it does. It does when looking on phone and Kindle Fire, which is more important.
    3. This is fine now.
    4. He told me which dog to add, but as I added the picture, I noticed it was the same as the one above it. I added a different dog that I think it was. I had to do this several times. If I used the one from the slide show, it was too big and the circle looked awkward. When I tried to edit, as has happened on other pages, the image disappeared. Sometimes, I got it back, sometimes I didn't. I found a smaller version. The good news, I was able to grab the orange corner to alter size. Another time, the gear for the settings was missing. The only problem now is it's too big. If it's still too big when you see it, try making it smaller. Does the "Fit" option work for that?
    5. Access for five days

We have sort of a deadline. His regular hosting plan is set to renew June 9. So, we'll want to replace that with Managed WordPress and migrate the site by or on that date. I think we're ok on the main site except for the slide show and Google Analytics and changing filenames. I'll be at my cousin's wedding in Houston over the weekend.

Michael

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

1. Thank you

I've added the meta slider above your current slider, you will see it there with only 1 image and you'll notice it is more mobile friendly.

To add more slides, go to the backend and go to the Meta Slider. Once you have selected the slider then you can add new slides via the Add Slides button illustrated in my screenshot.

2. In Chrome, in Responsive, x to exit menu does not appear, only in mobile mode. In Edge it does. It does when looking on phone and Kindle Fire, which is more important.

I'm still not seeing this issue in Chrome on my end. I'm thinking it could be due to a browser add-on you have or perhaps Windows 10. I am glad that your mobile browsers and Edge do show it

The only problem now is it's too big. If it's still too big when you see it, try making it smaller. Does the "Fit" option work for that?

It does look too big for me too. I believe the reason for this is because the image itself doesn't have even dimensions. It's difficult to make it into a circle unless it's a square to begin with.

You can see the others are more oval as well. What would be great here is if you could make each of the testimonial images the same width/height to begin with - then I can add CSS to them that will ensure they are all identical on that page

and no problem on the deadline, it feels like we are getting close to the finish line here!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I added the slides. They don’t always move automatically, usually after I touch it. Sometimes, it takes a while to start. But, the show is there! I watched it on my phone and Kindle Fire. You can pinch it to make it larger. The dots were behind the slide so I deleted them. The arrows are still there if someone wants to use them. There’s still a bug we found with other things with responsive. The show is visible on the phone and Kindle. It is not visible in Responsive edit modes. Just says meta slider. I gather the free version limits our transitions and themes options. I noticed the blog for today or yesterday was for Smart Slider. Didn’t get to read it.

We still have a problem with the banner in mobile mode being cut off.

The dog on the laptop is cut off at the bottom of the Services page on phone and Kindle.

Testimonials: Trying to see if I have pictures the same size. Also trying to confirm which dog goes where after you deleted one accidentally. I don’t think I have any squares. When I was looking at the Media Gallery, there was an option on the right side to make the image 150x150. When I was selecting picture to insert, there weren’t any options on the right side.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I made the photos on testimonials smaller and as close to the same size as possible. When I added the circle they became big, but I guess you will change that in the css. I need the photos for Dave F, so whatever you deleted was the wrong picture anyway. Beckett=Melissa D. Breslin is the first one, Carter and Maude=Jimmy. Once, it's fixed, the last line about contacting will return to its rightful place.

Google Analytics, bing next, changing file names, migrating.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Did you logout of the dashboard on your site? It's showing as previously registered now which usually means that the user logged out of the WPMU DEV Dashboard. So I'm unable to use the support access.

They don’t always move automatically, usually after I touch it. Sometimes, it takes a while to start. But, the show is there!

If you hover your cursor over the slideshow then it will pause it. That's by design, so if you want to look at a picture longer then you just hover over it and it will stop until your cursor moves off the picture again

The dog on the laptop is cut off at the bottom of the Services page on phone and Kindle.

I can see this on desktop as well, should be an easy fix once I have access to the backend again.

We still have a problem with the banner in mobile mode being cut off.

It looks like my below screenshot for you right? Where it's cutting off the sides.

Are you wanting it to still display the full image? It would mean scaling it way down in order to fit the whole image so the text on it would be very small.

I'll have a look at fixing up the testimonial images too when access is re-granted

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Hi Tyler,

After logging in to WordPress, I had a login screen for WPMU and there was a lock icon by WPMU Dashboard. I logged in and was able to extend access. There is an unlocked icon by Support in the dashboard, but I click on it and I get to Support.

Here are the logins:
    [removed for members security]

I have added the two new dog pictures to the testimonial page and slide show.

The hosting expires Friday and we ordered the Managed WordPress Hosting. The support guy said they usually give 5-10 days leeway. Let's see if we can do it tomorrow. Of course, I'm trying to have as little down time for the site, so the old one will still pop up until the new one is migrated.

What's left as I see it:
    1. Banner in mobile view
    2. Photos with testimonials, circle image and smalller
    3. Google Analytics set-up
    4. Change filenames. Should I do that before or after the migration? I can do that at the back end?
    5. Will the url for images automatically change?

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

I see you posted the login here as well, make sure you only sent that sort of thing over email privately. The forums are publicly viewable. I've removed it for you now

Thanks for sending that in.

I found a way to show a banner only on your mobile view. It involves bit of a workaround but it should do the trick. You will see now on your site that the mobile image is a galaxy background that doesn't suit your site's theme at all I just chose random one as a placeholder.

You can swap out the url for the image you really want to use in the mobile breakpoint's global theme CSS. I've attached a screenshot to illustrate:

2. Photos with testimonials, circle image and smalller

I'm asking one of our developers about this one, I'll re-visit it once I hear back

3. Google Analytics set-up

Best to do this after migration as then it will be under the correct url.

4. Change filenames. Should I do that before or after the migration? I can do that at the back end?

What file names are you wanting to change?

5. Will the url for images automatically change?

If the migration is done correctly then yes, all the urls will be changed. During migration you will normally do a search and replace, which will replace all the old domain structure with the new one

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I created a banner that was 315px wide like it says in mobile mode. I'm using Gimp, which my son told me to get because it was free. When I got Windows 10, my versions of Dreamweaver and Fireworks, which is like Photoshop, were out of date. Photoshop is expensive and now Adobe is selling software on monthly prescriptions in the cloud. One thing with Gimp is I look for functions where I'm used to seeing them. The other is it's not easily manipulative, even things like aligning center. Scaling, resizing proportionally.
    Anyway, I finally got something adequate. But, 1) as we've noticed before in editing in mobile mode, the change doesn't appear. I checked my phone, and the change was made, but the text and images on the banner are distorted and cut off. I tried going back to Gimp, but couldn't seem to make changes, font smaller, text on more lines.

I don't know what to do. Is there a way to size it in css? I thought there was css that was going to change the size of the circle images? We had them small before. Should we go with the large sizes, at least for now, so we can migrate the site? When you showed me how to do the circles before, wasn't there a step where we made it smaller? Will have to go through this thread.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I went through our long thread here and found screencasts you sent on Jan. 22 about making the circles around the photos. It did involve adding some .css. On Jan. 27, I sent you screenshots of what I tried. I'm looking through this now and I'm attaching the docs so you don't have to go through all of these correspondences. I'm also attached the banner I did for the mobile site.

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,

I got the images smaller! You're going to kick yourself. First thing I tried to do was edit the css for circle based on the previous screencasts and screenshots, and that didn't seem too do anything. Plus, in the top of the presets, I had circle, but the next box where you can do the rounded corners, has square or default for the shapes. I created a new preset circle small, which I'm not even sure made it work. As I moved the slider for rounded corners, it changed the images. If I edited image, and resized it with the corner, which suddenly is now working for me. Voila! I deleted the previous pictures, except for the first Breslin. The second Breslin looks odd, though not terrible or I could use the previous one. Don't know if the css had anything to do with the change. As I thought, one of the dogs is Titus, not Tutus, which is what he gave me, so I have to change that in the slide show and testimonial. I know I made one Titus. On the testimonials, there is a gap between the Contact line and the footer and I'm not seeing any block to delete it or to close it up.

So, we need to fix that and figure what to do about the mobile banner. Can migrate and keep working on the mobile. Tried looking at it on Joe's iPhone 6, but problem talking to the server. I have the Galaxy S6, which has larger screen than his iPhone 6, which means the banner should work on the Galaxy.

Getting there for real. Then, I have the redesign of my book site, which will have seven slide shows plus one in the banner.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Wow, awesome job! I am kicking myself for not figuring that out

I do believe I have the next two issues sorted:

On the testimonials, there is a gap between the Contact line and the footer and I'm not seeing any block to delete it or to close it up.

This was due to the region being dragged too low, so I opened up the edit region and dragged it smaller so it aligns better

figure what to do about the mobile banner.

I made a change to the CSS that I think makes it position much better.

Here is the new CSS:

.upfront-region-container-bg.upfront-image-lazy.upfront-image-lazy-bg.upfront-image-lazy-loaded {
        background-image: url(http://mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Mobilebanner.jpg) !important;
        background-size: 100% 100% !important;
    }

I've already added that but just leaving here for reference. Check out your site and let me know if you see any issues with either of those changes.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    The site is in the process of migrating to Managed WordPress Hosting. (9:20AM EST).

Before doing so, I realized I didn't test the contact form, but also there wasn't a redirect page after the form is submitted. I went into Settings for the contact form and it had the e-mail adress to send the form, but I couldn't find anywhere to add URL for success redirect to, "Thanks for contacting us..." or failed form. I would then have to create those pages. Are they already built into the form?

Michael

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    The site has migrated. The pages file path changed to mjspetsitting.com, but the images didn't. I went to Media in Upfront, but only one image showed a URL, which had mjspetsitting.com/... and not mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft
    I went to the back end and Media. Each image has a file name and a URL, but I couldn't get the whole URL because the page jumped when I tried to move toward the end. I couldn't get a cursor in the box. OK, I was able to highlight the URL: http://mjspetsitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/MJS-Petsitting-Satisfied-Customers-Arlo-(6)-215x304.jpg
    Not sure if that is the image I want, but it gives an example. The images aren't in responsive and I went to the css and removed wordpressdraft from the mobile banner path, but that didn't do anything.
    Where do I put the URL so the images appear?
    The slide show is running though with the images.
    The dashboard still says mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

It looks like you have to do a search and replace on some urls that are still pointing to the old site url, that is why they are not displaying the images correctly as it's getting a 404 error when it tries to find them.

I've installed the Better Search and Replace plugin for you as it works well for this. Here is how you want to set it up:

***Make sure you do a full backup first. This is important because if the search and replace causes any issues then you can simply restore and try again.

Before doing so, I realized I didn't test the contact form, but also there wasn't a redirect page after the form is submitted.

There isn't a redirect option for the form, it displays a successful or error banner:

If you are wanting to add a redirect then you may want to try another contact form plugin such as Contact Form 7 or Ninja Forms.

If you have any issues with the search and replace just let me know

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    I nervously tried Better Search and Replace and attached is the error message.
    Part of the confusion is how will I know that the proper change has been made?

The slide show is running with the images. In Meta Slider, they have http://mjspetsitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/MJS Petsitting Satisfied CustomersCAP.jpg.

In Media at the backend (Attached): http://mjspetsitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Titus-Dave-F-testimonial-page.jpg.

The path looks the same, but the slide show is running, but the other pictures aren't.

Michael

• Nastia

Hello mkleiner

I trust you are doing well today!

I hope you don't mind me chipping in here.

Part of the confusion is how will I know that the proper change has been made?

Once you run Better Search and Replace, it will replace images from yoursite.com/wordpressdraft to yoursite.com.

You will know if the change has been done, by visiting one of your pages to check if the images are shown.

For example, you can check images on your page About Joe to make sure that the plugin worked.

To solve this error:

"An error occurred processing your request. Try decreasing the "Max Page Size", or contact support."

Plese increase the PHP memory limit. Paste the following line to the wp-config.php file:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Let us know how it went!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• Nastia

Hello mkleiner

You will find the wp-config.php inside your WordPress directory. This file is located in the root of your WordPress file directory and contains your website's base configuration details, such as database connection information.

You can access your WordPress site directory using the File Manager from your cPanel or via FTP

Please have a look at this manual:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/creating-and-editing-your-wp-config-php-file/

Please keep a backup of the wp-config before editing it, if something goes wrong you can always restore it.

Let us know if you require further assistance!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

Tyler,

Nastia, I appreciate your willingness to help. I've been working on the redesign of this site site for far too long and Tyler has been working closely with me. We were finally almost done. Please understand my frustration at this point.

I was given a line of code without telling me where to put it. I was on the phone with tech support at the host for 45 minutes, counting hold time, to help me get to where I had to get to access wp-config. During this time, I was able to log into my client's account through my reseller page, but when the tech guy wanted me to go to the gateway, it kept rejecting the password that was working on the other page. We went in through there and we needed to use ftp. For some reason, the FTP program I've used for years is not on my computer. I downloaded Filezilla. I'm referring to the instructions in the manual you sent, which insisted in downloading EditPlus3, which they are not up to 4. When I opened wp-config.php in EditPlus and looked at the manual, it didn't say what line to add the code. I looked at the arrow in the picture so I put the code under My SQL Database Username because that was line 25 and where the arrow was pointed. I saved and ftped the file. Didn't know whether I needed the other stuff in the manual instructions. All this to get Better Search and Replace to work.

I went to mjspetsitting.com/wp-admin and received this: Fatal error: Call to undefined function nocache_headers() in /home/content/a2pnexwpnas04_data01/83/3372583/html/wp-admin/admin.php on line 33

I went to mjspetsitting.com/wordpraftdraft/wp-admin and received this: Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp() in /home/content/a2pnexwpnas04_data01/83/3372583/html/wp-blog-header.php on line 16

I went to mjspetsitting.com and received this: Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp() in /home/content/a2pnexwpnas04_data01/83/3372583/html/wp-blog-header.php on line 16

So, there is no web site up right now.

I'm attaching the wp-config file in .txt and .php and a .pdf. I imagine you would be able to work with the .txt or .php files.
    My wife suggested removing the line of code so it might revert back to at least what we had before but I don't know what the previous code on that line was and I already ftped the file up there as an overwrite. There is the previous version with a .phb.bak extension. I'm trying to save that file as .php to overwrite the new one.

Thank you.
    Michael

• Nastia

Hello Michael,

So sorry to hear that you are going through this issue.

It seems like the line were database user should be (on the line 26, where you placed the WP_Memory_Limit line) it's been deleted from the wp-config.php file.

It should look like this

/**My SQL Database Username*/
    define('DB_USER', 'username');

If this is the reason of the error on your site, we can restore it.

Would you please send to us the wp-config.php file, the one that have backed up originally?

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Nastia"
    - original wp-config.php file
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

As for the WP_Memory_Limit,
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

This line can be placed right above:
    /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

We are waiting for your reply!

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

Hi,
    Nastia, Tyler,

I'm waiting for your instructions on manually changing the paths for the images since Better Search and Replace brought up the same error message as before after the site was restored.

This morning I looked around the site and Upfront to see if it could be done in the backend or frontend. What's interesting is the slide show is working fine, so I looked at Meta Sliders to see what the URL is for the images, figuring we can replicate that and change the filename. The URL is:
    http://mjspetsitting.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02.filename

In the Media Gallery from the dashboard, I clicked on an image to see what the URL was and edit it. It appears to have the same URL.

In Media within Upfront, no URL is given when clicking on an image, except for the first one.

In Upfront, I clicked where the image would be to see if I could get Edit URL. Instead presets appear on the left hand side.

I tried Global Region CSS, but the only image I could find was a Wordpress sprite, which I don't even know where to look to see if the edit took. The sprite still had wordpressdraft in the URL. I took it out, but I don't know where to look to see if it worked.

There is a problem connecting to the server. Access extended.

Thank you.

Michael

• Nastia

Hello Michael

My apologies for late reply!

I'm waiting for your instructions on manually changing the paths for the images since Better Search and Replace brought up the same error message as before after the site was restored.

Before making any changes in the database, would you please try another plugin to sync your database and check if the issue is resolved after that:
    https://github.com/wp-sync-db/wp-sync-db

Download the plugin and install it from Plugins > Add new:

You will have to install this plugin on your live site and the development site.

On the development site, once you activate it, navigate to Settings > Migrate DB > Settings tab, copy the Connection Info URL.

Go to the current site you wish to replace the database, Settings > Migrate DB > Migrate tab, select Pull and paste inside the link from the development site and click on the Connect button.

That should sync your database. Please make sure that you have created a full backup of your previous installation.

I tested it on my site and it's working, however It would be better if you could test it first on another installation, in order not to making any changes on your live site before you are sure how the plugin works.

Let us know how it went!

Cheers,
    Nastia

Please run a full backup of your site before making any changes.

• mkleiner

Nastia,
    Thank you for replying. To check about backing up. I'm going to Export and choosing All, which includes posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts, meta slider, media. Does this include the databases?
    It does not say databases. Are the databases backed up elsewhere? I don't see anything related to databases.

• mkleiner

Nastia,
    I downloaded the zip file and then uploaded to dashboard, but twice it started, but then brought back error message, mjspetsitting.com not functioning. Site as is without pictures still appears. This is frustrating. There isn't a manual way to go in and make the changes to the path? Would re-placing the images work? In Upfront, there was a Edit URL function in settings around image when designing the site, but now it doesn't exist? If you want to go in and try it, you're welcome to. I've extended access. I'll resend the logins.

Michael

• Nastia

Hello Michael!

Thank you for extending support access. I understand your frustration here.

Usually we do not provide this type of support, however, I've logged in to your site and swaped images on every page with the ones that were in your library.

Right now all images are shown on your site. In case I missed an image, please open Upfront in edit mode, locate an image with a broken link, click on the Swap Image icon to replace this image with the one in your library.

Please see the screenshot:

As for the "Edit URL" function in Upfront, this option is no longer available. Replacing images is one of the quickest option here.

Let us know if yu have any further question!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

Nastia,

July 2:
    Nastia
    I replied to you on Saturday re photos, but received message this was a no reply address. Trying again.

Nastia,
    Thank you for all you've done. It is much appreciated. I thought there might be good news.
    1. I started with the banner (wordpressbanner). I clicked on the pencil. This brought up the global region box. I picked the image and it appeared. I saved, except during the course of saving, there was an error message, Theme colors not able to be saved.

2. I added the banner to most of the pages, then received additional message problem saving images.

3. On the FAQs page, I needed to add the collar underneath FAQs. I did the Swap as you said. It was still saving after more than 10 minutes. I exited.

4. Though, the banners were in Upfront, they were not when I went to the page. I can’t remember if I got to all the pages. I also noticed the black WordPress strip is across the top of the page when I go tomjspetsitting.com on my laptop. I don’t think it was there when I checked my laptop, which also didn’t show the banners.

5. I went back to Upfront and now the banners are not there.

6. The Home link was broken (http://www.mjspetsitting.com/wordpressdraft), so I clicked on Home in navigation and edited the URL to http://www.mjspetsitting.com. It took a while for it to save after clicking on OK in Edit URL. Then, I saved. I moved to another page. Changed the link. I checked, the links didn’t change. There seems to be a problem with saving.

7. At the bottom of the FAQs page I tried to swap and put dog with money in its mouth at the bottom of the page. It’s about an hour and it’s still saving after hitting OK, never mind saving the page. I just tried swap image, resized a little, still taking forever to save image.

8. There are some more problems in responsive as viewed on my phone. The mobile banner appears on the home page, but no longer on the other pages. The “accordion” drop down menu appears on the home page, but not on the other pages. The aboutjoe page finally has the picture aligned with the text, but there is a gray box with No link; External Link; Link to a post or page; show a larger image; OK, over it. Accreditation page out of alignment, psi logo far right. If you pinch it to make it bigger the copy fits the screen, but psi logo isn’t seen. FAQs, collar not centered. All the pictures migrated to the mobile, but not to the main site.

9. Additionally, I previously installed Smart Crawler and did the meta tags. Have to install Google Analytics.

10. I am at a loss at why all this is happening to me. This was supposed to be drag and drop, bim, boom, done. The site would be responsive, meeting Google’s change on search on mobile friendly. This isn’t a complex site. Yet, this has been months. I’ve been through three versions of Upfront; I’ve tried two laptops and a desktop computer. I changed mice, when I couldn’t grab the corners to resize images. All I had to do today was to add the banner, the dog at the bottom of the FAQs, FAQs was the only page without the collar underneath the heading. At least, the mobile was looking good, now that’s a mess. It’s been almost 2.5 hours. Please understand where my frustration is coming. Plus, you want to finish one project and move onto the next.

July 6:
    This morning I tried working on my desktop computer. I was bale to place the missing photos and banner. However when I tried to save, the same error messages I received Saturday on my laptop, I received on my desktop. "Theme colors could not be saved," "An error occurred while saving," and occasionally, "Published." On the FAQ page, the dog with the money in its mouth at the bottom was not there when I returned to the page. I re-did it. The banner was there in Upfront on all pages. I went to Responsive to try to get the mobile banner on the mobile format, but now that's cut off. I went back to main site. Banners and photos I placed are gone. I added the banner to one page, but when I viewed the site, it wasn't there. Since, this happened on two different computers, this may be an issue on your end. Conflict with Upfront 1.3?

• mkleiner

Nastia, Tyler

Good news. When working on my laptop this morning, I had the same issues with the saving of the images. Initially, on my desktop computer, I placed the banner and didn't see it on the site, then suddenly it appeared on one of the pages. I was able to place the banner on all pages, the collar on FAQs page, the dog with the money in its mouth at the bottom of the FAQs page. Everything appeared on the site. !

There are still problems with the responsive.

1a. There are some more problems in responsive as viewed on my phone. I copied css Tyler used to place the mobile banner and deleted wordpressdraft as part of the path. It didn't work. I edited region and placed the mobile banner as I had done last week. Parts of it were cut off, but I can resize. When I look at the site on my phone, the banner is not there. Now, it has the main site banner in Responsive edit mobile mode.

1b. The “accordion” drop down menu appears on all the pages in Responsive edit mobile mode. When viewed on my phone, the accordion is not on any page, the links are. though, not necessarily a disaster. However, it is confusing why what is seen in edit is not what is seen on the phone.

1c. The aboutjoe page finally has the picture aligned with the text, but there is a gray box with No link; External Link; Link to a post or page; show a larger image; OK, over it, when viewed on the phone. The box does not appear in Responsive or Upfront edit mode or on the regular site.

1d. Accreditation page out of alignment, psi logo far right. If you pinch it to make it bigger the copy fits the screen, but psi logo isn’t seen.

2. The other thing left, I previously installed Smart Crawler and did the meta tags. Have to install Google Analytics and get the Google and Bing keys, which Tyler showed in previous post.

Michael Kleiner

• mkleiner

I haven't heard back in over a week, but there is good news to report.

I looked at the mobile site on my wife's iPhone5 and the mobile banner was on every page, I believe.
    My Samsung GalaxyS6, it was not on any page. For whatever reason, today, the banner appeared on all pages except the home page on my phone. This is also the only page now that doesn't have the accordion menu. I placed the mobile banner on each mobile mode page and copied the css.

While I was testing links, I noticed the about joe page page kept going to the home page and the about joe copy was gone, and I had two home pages. I redid the aboutjoe page. This turned out to be a silver lining. This cleared up the issues in responsive with this page with the picture not aligned with the copy, and copy flushed to the left. I guess with the newer version of Upfront, you can't have text wrapping around images.

Taking that as a signal, I redid the accreditation page, where I had similar problems. In this case, when the logo didn't look good next to the copy, I put one logo above the text and the other at the bottom. This cleared up the responsive issue in mobile, plus everything was centered.

It seems the remaining issue is why the mobile banner and accordion menu are not appearing on the home page.

Then, I have to do the Google and Bing stuff. Do I have to install a Google Analytics plug in or is that in Smart Crawler, which is already installed and the meta tags were done a while ago?

Thank you.

Michael Kleiner

• Nastia

Hello Michael

I hope you are doing well today! My apologies for late reply.

I tried to access your site and unfortunately it is expired. Would you please revoke access and re grant it again from WPMU DEV > Support so I can have a closer look to the issue with accordion menu and the mobile banner.

I have visited your page and the responsive/accordion menu is showing. Please see the screenshot:
    Is it supposed to look different?

As for banner, I can see that the banner is missing for Sumsung Galaxy S5. Once you grant access, I will have a closer look.

Please advise,

Cheers,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

I installed the Google Analytics plug-in, which I thought was free. When I clicked through to WPMU for more information, I found out it's a free trial, then $49 a month. (Client) Joe doesn't need membership in WPMU and he is not going to want to pay $49 a month. Sent questions to pop-up, "Live Support/Do you have questions?" re alternatives and that I had Joe cancel Search Engine Visibility with the host, which is $30 a year, because I thought he was getting a free plug-in. Didn't receive a reply from Live Support.

I found where in this thread Tyler gave me the links to Google and Bing webmaster tools (April 14). I tried to verify site, but godaddy rejected login, probably because it was trying to login to godaddy and not my reseller page. I added TXT token after logging in through the reseller page.

What happens now? Will this verify the site since I'm not going to be able to directly login to godaddy?

Is a Google Analytics account separate from a Google account? If so, I can just set up an account for him? Or do I need to see if he has a Google/gmail account? He must if he has a G+ account.

Thanks.
    Michael

• mkleiner

Nastia,
    Thanks for the reply. I replied through the e-mail, but received auto-responder message that I replied to a notification, not the thread. Sometimes, I get that and sometimes I don't.

There always seems to be a step missing.

I have the tracking code and I have a <script> code. In generating this, there was a message, that "if you are using a third-party host like WordPress, GoDaddy or Wix, you will need to follow their instructions to set up Google Analytics on your web site." I called GoDaddy, and she didn't know why I received that message. I added the tracking code in the Settings>Google Analytics from dashboard. Clicked Save and after a while received:
    "The mjspetsitting.com page isn’t working

mjspetsitting.com didn’t send any data.

I went to your tutorial to create the plug-in. Nervously, and between several distractions, I checked the header.php and created the new plug-in, adding the script generated at Google Analytics. The screen shot did not match the look on Google Analytics. Got through it. Uploaded the plugin (after having to download Notepad++ after Edit Plus had expired and Notepad+ was too basic.). Plug-in file is wpmu-dev-mjs-ga.php. The confusing part is in the tutorial, she's interchanging using the term tracking code and the script for the same item. The script doesn't have the tracking code (UA) unless it is encrypted. Then, she says, you can use Google Analytics+ and "it's a cinch to set up."

I went back to the dashboard and added the code (UA-xxxxx). I followed the screen shots of Google Analytics+. I do not have
    "Minimum Pro Site Level for use of Google Analytics Site Features" and "Minimum Pro Site Level for Google Analytics Statistics inside WordPress Dashboard" on the Settings page. I clicked Save and after a while received
    The mjspetsitting.com page isn’t working

mjspetsitting.com didn’t send any data."

?I have granted access for 5 days. I included logins to the dashboard and sftp logins in the e-mail, but did not want to provide them here. How should I send them to you?

P.S. I started working on a redesign of my book site using Scribe. So far, liking it, but, of course, issues arose. So, keep a look out for those questions, which will be a different thread.

• mkleiner

Nastia,
    Thanks for the reply. I replied through the e-mail, but received auto-responder message that I replied to a notification, not the thread. Sometimes, I get that and sometimes I don't. I posted on the forum, and trying this contact address and tried incsub.com and got a live response that said it was being forwarded. While I was on a second post, that one and this one suddenly disappeared, so I had to copy and paste this.

There always seems to be a step missing.

I have the tracking code and I have a <script> code. In generating this, there was a message, that "if you are using a third-party host like WordPress, GoDaddy or Wix, you will need to follow their instructions to set up Google Analytics on your web site." I called GoDaddy, and she didn't know why I received that message. I added the tracking code in the Settings>Google Analytics from dashboard. Clicked Save and after a while received:

mjspetsitting.com didn’t send any data.

I went to your tutorial to create the plug-in. Nervously, and between several distractions, I checked the header.php and created the new plug-in, adding the script generated at Google Analytics. The screen shot did not match the look on Google Analytics. Got through it. Uploaded the plugin (after having to download Notepad++ after Edit Plus had expired and Notepad+ was too basic.). Plug-in file is wpmu-dev-mjs-ga.php. The confusing part is in the tutorial, she's interchanging using the term tracking code and the script for the same item. The script doesn't have the tracking code (UA) unless it is encrypted. Then, she says, you can use Google Analytics+ and "it's a cinch to set up."

I went back to the dashboard and added the code (UA-xxxxx). I followed the screen shots of Google Analytics+. I do not have
    "Minimum Pro Site Level for use of Google Analytics Site Features" and "Minimum Pro Site Level for Google Analytics Statistics inside WordPress Dashboard" on the Settings page. I clicked Save and after a while received
    The mjspetsitting.com page isn’t working

I have granted access for 5 days. I included logins to the dashboard and sftp logins in the e-mail, but did not want to provide them in the forum.

• mkleiner

Hi,
    I installed Hummingbird and Defender. Configuring Defender, ran into problems with "Preventing Information Disclosure," and "Preventing PHP Execution."

For the "Preventing Information Disclosure," I clicked on "ADD .HTACCESS FILE," "to files into each of these directories to lock down the files and folders inside." "ADD .HTACCESS FILE" stays grayed out for a long time.

For "Preventing PHP Execution," when I clicked on "ADD .HTACCESS FILE", I receive message
    "Can't write to the file /home/content/a2pnexwpnas04_data01/83/3372583/html/wp-includes/.htaccess add .htaccess"

Would this prevent you from editing the plug-in for Google Analytics?

"Regenerating Security Keys every 60 days" "will log all users out of your site.". Do I want to be logged out?

Thank you.

Michael

• Nastia

Hello Michael!

My apologies for late reply I was away for a few days.

From the plugin's code that you've created everything is looking good.

The screen shot did not match the look on Google Analytics.

Would you please let me know which screenshot didn't matched the look on Google Analytics. Would you please post the screenshot that you see from your side?

Then, she says, you can use Google Analytics+ and "it's a cinch to set up."

With this phrase, Rachel, the author doesn't mean that you can use the WPMU DEV Google Analytics plugin.

It means, with this plugin activated your site will be connected with the Google Analytics services from now on. You will be able track everything from the official Google Analytics site:
    https://www.google.com/analytics/

The script doesn't have the tracking code (UA)

I've checked the code you have created and the script does have the tracking code. It's located on line 16th. You will see line like this:

ga('create', 'UA-82154XXX-X', 'auto');

Please note, that you created your own plugin that it isn't connected in any way with the WPMU DEV Google Analytics+ plugin, so it is not possible to see the site's statistics there this way.

From now on, you need to use only one Google Analytics plugin, the one that you have created, or the WPMU DEV Google Amalytics plugin.
    On the site that you have sent to us, the Google Analytics plugin is not configured yet.

If you decide to use this plugin, first, please log in with your Google account by cliking on the login button in Settings > Google Analytics

You will be redirected to a Google Analytics page, copy the access code, go back to the plugins settings paste it and click on the "Authorize" button. All the other setting will be loaded automatically. Save all the changes and that's it.

I do not have
    "Minimum Pro Site Level for use of Google Analytics Site Features" and "Minimum Pro Site Level for Google Analytics Statistics inside WordPress Dashboard" on the Settings page

You are not supposed to have these options. This is only for integration with the Pro Site plugin.

As for the issue with the Defender plugin, I have created a new thread for you which you can find here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problems-with-preventing-information-disclosure

Kind Regards,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

Nastia,

The screen shot is not so important, now, as I got through it, and the Admin page in Google Analytics looks the same as in Rachel's tutorial.

I wonder why I had to go through the tutorial if I didn't have to create the plug-in.

When I set this up last week, I did not receive prompts for the access code. Now, I did. I tried this twice and authorized, then, I added the tracking code, saved. I received the same message as last week:

Should I just go with the created plug-in? It looks like the access code changes, so you can't login to see what's wrong.

I will look at the Defender thread.

Michael

• Nastia

Hello Michael, I trust all is well!

I wonder why I had to go through the tutorial if I didn't have to create the plug-in.

You have mentioned in your emails that you didn't want to use a premium plugin on your client site, so we provided two solutions; one is to create a plugin that connects your site with Google Analytics, and a second one is to use the WPMU DEV Google Analytics plugin.

My apologies if it wasn't clear enough.

Would you please post here a screenshot with this error? I can't reproduce it on any of my sites.

I've logged in on your site and see that you have already inserted the site's Tracking Code. However, you still need to login to your google account and authorize the plugin to use Analytics, because it is shown for me that you are not logged in.

Should I just go with the created plug-in? It looks like the access code changes, so you can't login to see what's wrong.

If you will go with the plugin that you have created, please deactivate the WPMU DEV Google Analytics plugin and just activate the plugin you have created.

This plugin doesn't add any menus on your site, you just track visitors activity directly from the Google Analytics page.

Please note, that you will see results on the Google Analytics after one day.

Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• mkleiner

Nastia,
    I repeated your steps abov, today, and it is exactly what I did last week, and again I receive the error page (see attached).

It says I'm successfully logged in after authorizing the access code.

Does the "Custom Google Analytics Statistics inside WordPress dashboard" box need to be blank? If you look at the drop down, it says "All web site data,..." but the tracking code is different.

I'm logged into my Google account--kleinerprweb.com--not the client's. Could this be a problem?

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Hope you don't mind me chiming back in on this.

I've been trying to catch up on your google analytics issue here. So you are trying to link it to your clients google analytics account? Or your own? I can see you have it setup with your google account right now, which is totally fine - it doesn't really matter who's google account it is setup with. You can provide him access to the stats if it's in your account and vice versa.

That's within the Google Analytics dashboard.

I can see you have a different tracking code that you manually entered in your Analytics+ settings. Is that your clients tracking code? It would be easier to just use one or the other. Either your profile or his. You are already logged into yours, so perhaps yours.

I'm not seeing that error you mentioned above. I logged into your site and selected your account in the dropdown and saved and it appears to have worked. I can see some stats are being tracked as well so it looks to be working right now.

Are you still seeing any issues on your end?

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

Tyler,
    Welcome back.

As I also noted in my previous post, I noticed the tracking codes were different.

I just logged in and see that added the site from the drop down. The other tracking code still remained in the Site Tracking Code box. I tried saving this way and received the same error message. I changed the Site Tracking Code to the one in the drop down. Saved, and again, I received the same error message. I left the Site Tracking Code box blank. Still received the error message. What are you doing on your end that is making it work and not work on my end?
    I am using my Google account, but I set up Analytics for mjspetsitting.com, and I must have since it's in the drop down. Where are you seeing statistics, in the WP dashboard or in Google Analytics?

There are still issues with Defender, but that is on a different thread.

Michael

• mkleiner

I went to my desktop computer to try the Google Analytics set-up. It saved with no error message no matter what tracking key was in the Site Tracking Key box.
    I returned to the laptop and the same Site Tracking Key as in the drop down, and received the error message. Tried flushing the cache. Still got the error message.
    Why would it work on one computer and not another?
    Where do you see the stats?

Michael

• Tyler Postle

Hey Michael,

Thanks

Where are you seeing statistics, in the WP dashboard or in Google Analytics?

In your WP dashboard, you can see in my screenshot below:

Then of course you can also see all the stats within the actual Google Analytics dashboard. We only pull in the more commonly used stats. I don't have access to your Google Analytics dashboard.

Why would it work on one computer and not another?

This is very odd. My guess would be an out-dated browser, or a browser extension that is blocking it. What browser are you using on your laptop and do you have any extensions/add-ons active on it? Try in a different browser on your laptop and see if it works, that should help narrow it down.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• mkleiner

The weirdness continues. Remember, we had similar issues at times when I was designing the site.
    In Edge, it worked fine. I found the Statistics under Dashboard, which is in your screenshot. I didn't see where the arrow was originating from. Didn't find anything under Settings.

At the same time, I hadn't been able to access my Verizon e-mail online this week from the laptop, but could on the desktop. I was able to access through Edge. Is it a Windows 10 plot?

I have to call host re Defender.

BTW, I started redesigning my book site using Scribe. Doing pretty well. There are some issues arising, of course, but want to get as far as I can before I post any questions. Also taking the Javascript for WordPress course with Dan Pataki in Academy.

Michael

• Tyler Postle

I was able to access through Edge. Is it a Windows 10 plot?

hahah, I haven't updated to Windows 10 yet for this reason. Seems to still be some compatibility issues going around.

So you have Windows 10 on your laptop but not on your desktop? It could be related to that. Either that or browser extensions is my guess.

BTW, I started redesigning my book site using Scribe. Doing pretty well. There are some issues arising, of course, but want to get as far as I can before I post any questions. Also taking the Javascript for WordPress course with Dan Pataki in Academy.

Glad to hear you're doing well with Scribe so far yup just open a new thread if you run into any issues with it.

Hope you're enjoying the course!

Cheers,
    Tyler