Splog plugin

I know there are threads about how to get rid of splogs. But let’s face it – nothing really works.

I run the reCaptcha plugin and it doesn’t seem to stop the spam signups at all. I start every day at work by going into my WPMU sites to remove new splogs.

Maybe if everyone suggested functions for an anti-splug plugin, the kind people here at wpmudev could look at making a new premium plugin. Seems like you’ve had problems yourself with splogs and I think it’s something that everyone running wpmu has problems with.

The .htaccess approach didn’t work at all to me. I don’t know if I did something wrong or not but it just didn’t work.

I’ve noticed that almost all splog signups sign up with a name ending with numbers. i.e. name1984. Maybe blocking people from using a username ending with 4 numbers would be a good idea? I mean it must be rare for normal users to select that kind of name.

Maybe the splogs are often signed up from a specific client, and the use of name1234 is blocked for that specific client?

Any suggestions?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

I’ve noticed that almost all splog signups sign up with a name ending with numbers. i.e. name1984. Maybe blocking people from using a username ending with 4 numbers would be a good idea? I mean it must be rare for normal users to select that kind of name.

Naw, that’s actually a legit username format I’m afraid. When a favorite username is taken a lot of people will add a year behind it.

You might want to give the .htaccess bits another go as I believe they’ve worked fairly well for us.

Thanks,

Andrew

• argh2xxx
    • The Incredible Code Injector

You need to go for mod_security then. It’s very good, but if you not careful, it will break your website, and no one will be able to post a new post or something like that. Easy way around is to move the rules from mod_security’s rule files that affect such side-effect.

• jcnjr
    • HummingBird

that’s actually a legit username format I’m afraid.

Indeed, we have one member with such a username … out of more than 1,000. I would be more than happy to ban usernames ending in #### and just inform potential members of the restriction. I’ve been asking around for a way to do this but haven’t yet found an answer.

I’ve been using D’Arcy Norman’s .htaccess method for months and it’s been working great. But just the past couple weeks, we’ve started to get up to dozens of these same sploggers getting through. I’ve resorted to adding deny by ip address functions to our .htaccess file for addresses from which we get multiple splog signups. See instructions here. But this all takes time, lots of time lately. And my fear is these sploggers may be cloning their ip addresses anyway, which may cause trouble for valid users down the road.

Anyway, an antisplog plugin that actrually works – or some way to stop signups from the paininthearse1234 crowd – tops my list of feature requests too. Thanks for letting me rant!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.