sports or team calendar web theme or plugin that could link to mobile phones in the event of last mi

Not sure if this is under the correct catagory. Wondering if any one had suggestions to help me with the following tasks.
I need to be able to schedule several sports calendars (some times games will over lap with various sports) I would also need it to be able to sync with google or other mobile device calendars.

The ability to export and or input via excel. (Current data is sent to coaches via excel)

This website will keep parents informed of last minute game changes (time location etc...) and send notifications to either their email or calendar.

Not sure if something like this already exists or not.

I'm not an excel expert but I know that right now I have to figure out all of my mileage for my tax's and would also love to learn of a formula that could take the data from my master mileage chart for the various schools and populate them into the excel game schedule. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Dean

Welcome back with us! So glad to see you got your membership and you can continue writing to us on the forum while you recover. Very happy for you!

Quite a few things you mentioned on there, so I will break it down into numbers:

Question 1

I need to be able to schedule several sports calendars (some times games will over lap with various sports) I would also need it to be able to sync with google or other mobile device calendars.

We have Events + Plugin available, but currently you can't have different calendars and then sync all of them in one master calendar (that's actually an existing feature request). However, you could create a Multisite with sub-directories for each of the sports teams and then have a calendar for each. We also don't have the feature to sync with mobile devices or with Google Calendar yet (good feature request and I think it has been asked for already).

Question 2

The ability to export and or input via excel. (Current data is sent to coaches via excel)

You would need CustomPress for that and then we do have a plugin called Batch Create, however this is currently only for importing new users.

Question 3

This website will keep parents informed of last minute game changes (time location etc...) and send notifications to either their email or calendar.

You could have a blog type of setup, but call it Notifications, where parents can be subscribed to it and when there's changes to the schedule you can update a notice to the Notifications (blog) and they will automatically get an update, either as a full notice or just an except.

Question 4

I'm not an excel expert but I know that right now I have to figure out all of my mileage for my tax's and would also love to learn of a formula that could take the data from my master mileage chart for the various schools and populate them into the excel game schedule.

We don't have something like that available. I think this will basically require a new plugin. I will see if there is anything on WordPress.org that can help with that.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will look for some other plugins that might be useful to you and post them here when I get it.

All the best with setting up this site and with your recovery.

Gina

• Dean Kaus

Thanks GinaB, Yesterday was a great day and I had a few clients and other special people who helped me out to afford a 1 year membership. I hope and pray by that time if not sooner to be able to earn the lifetime membership. I need to streamline my current business model so that I can free up time to start a new venture working more with programming, web design etc... In the event my health doesn't improve enough to be able to keep up with the sports event then I'll have something to fall back on.

Currently I just bring everything into Excel, then color code it for the various games (ie... Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Boys Soccer...) Then I need to figure out where I need to hire extra help to cover the games that take place at the same time. So far it's only been one school that we work for and my Wife and I can handle the workload pretty well. However we don't make enough and possibley need to add a few more but then that provides additional problems with finding loyal staff to help out.

Anyway I appreciate your suggestions and will check them out tomorrow. (today was a bit of a rough day, lot of pain and can't concentrate well.) Thanks for your continued prayers.

• Dean Kaus

@Mirendo Thanks for your offer to share your Excel model. I appreciate it. I have a model set up for my scheduling so I know what sport, game, time and location. I had also set up a table with the mileage distances for each location. What I couldn't figure out (and since I only need this feature at tax time and forget until the next tax season) is how to get the mileage to populate into the schedule table so it would automatically fill in the blanks.

Thanks again and I look forward to receiving that from you. If you could email it to me an kausphoto@gmail.com I would be sure to get it.

Thanks again!

• Mirendo

I sent the email with my full excel model to your gmail address.

For anyone else interested in this, who have a similar setup like Dean here, where you have different locations and their distances, but might need to populate a list with the distance many times, since you went there many times, use the VLOOKUP function in Excel, I will post mine:

=IF(C2="Yes";VLOOKUP(B2;Arenas!$A:$I;4;FALSE)*2;IF(C2="Already there";0;IF(C2="No, travelled different way";IF(C2="";"";""""))))

It will work as follows
    C2, is a drop down selection list, wheter or not I should receive reimbursement / tax deduction for that specific trip. If YES, then find the Arena name in B2 and match that to the Arena list found in the Excel sheet called Arenas and return the 4th coulmn, which in my case contains the milage from home to that arena (if the arena name cannot be found, then return FALSE) and finally multiply by 2 since I need to get back home too.

I then added in more IF commands, for if there are many games held at the same arena, then I would select in the drop down list in C2 "Already there" and the distance would then be 0 and then I made a special circumstance IF too, for when you somehow travelled a different way than you normally would. The last IF case is for when C2 is empty. If one needs help with the VLOOKUP function in Excel, type
    =VLOOKUP(
    in the formula bar in Excel and it will show a guide underneath the formula bar for what you need to fill out.

@ Dean
    I would advice not posting your full email address online without breaking it up. Too many internet spam bots are coming by, harvesting your email address and BAM, you go onto their spam mailling lists forever. When posting email online, do break it up, like "name //a// gmail com" or something.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.