Squarespace creates up to seven versions of that image, should I have the same?

I read here

When you upload an image, Squarespace creates up to seven versions of that image, each with a different width. These widths are:

* 100 pixels
* 300 pixels
* 500 pixels
* 750 pixels
* 1000 pixels
* 1500 pixels
* 2500 pixels

I have seen several reports like the one above for image sizes.

I am using a background slider for this issue.

Your slider picks the large image.

So
1. Are the 7 sizes above something that I should do ?
2. Would you recommend a plugin that you have used to make the 7 sizes or can wordpress be set to make them?
3. How do I set the 1500px image to LARGE ? I assume that is what would be the appropriate image to use given what you wrote above.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi there Lee

I hope you're well today!

Much like Squarespace, WordPress does indeed create several variations (thumbnails) of each uploaded image and saves them for various uses around your site. The sizes created are determined by both your active theme and additional sizes required by plugins you may have active.

If those sizes are not appropriate or are causing issues, you may need to use a plugin like Regenerate Thumbnails to get the appropriate sizes needed for your site's requirements: https://wordpress.org/plugins/regenerate-thumbnails/

As for selecting the correct size you need for your slider, go to Settings > Media in your wp-admin, and select the appropriate size for the Large option.

I hope this helps, and thanks for being a member!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Lee

I hope you are well today.

Are the 7 sizes above something that I should do ?

Not exactly. The images sizes depends on your needs. Most of the time plugins or themes adding those images sizes that they need. As long you are not developing anything that is related with image sizes, you need not to create those sizes.

2. Would you recommend a plugin that you have used to make the 7 sizes or can wordpress be set to make them?

As I said in 1st reply, you don't need to create those image sizes until you really need them. But if you still want to, you can try this simple plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-image-sizes/

3. How do I set the 1500px image to LARGE ? I assume that is what would be the appropriate image to use given what you wrote above.

Well, you can't do that. When a size is created, a name is given for each size. You can check her to get an idea: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/add_image_size/ So when you fetch the image you need to use that specific name to fetch the image. Large, Medium those are something set in wordpress as default sizes.

I am using a background slider for this issue.

Your slider picks the large image.

Are you using upfront theme or any other third party plugins for slider? Possible to post a screenshot of the panel when you upload to a slider?

Thanks, Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there,

This is gonna depend on your theme more than anything and how the designer envisaged it working on different screen resolutions, it’s why the theme usually handles it. If you designed the theme, you could make it do what you want for each resolution.

1. If you’re going to use 100 pixel images in your theme/site and you’re not going to shrink or enlarge it with CSS then sure, that would be a useful thumb to have. If you’re not going to use it somewhere even when in responsive, seems like wasted space then.

The same is to be said of the other image sizes.

2. WordPress kind of sets them, the default ones are listed here:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Thumbnails#Thumbnail_Sizes

Custom ones would require you to do that in your theme, plugin or with a plugin like this:

https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/simple-image-sizes/

I’ve not used it before though, you’d have to research it a bit more for your own needs.

3. Not really sure what you mean here, like create a custom size?

To place it somewhere specific within a theme?

To place it in a post?

A slider?

The link above to WP has information on how to create custom sizes.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with today.

• Lee
    • Syntax Hero

Thank you for the replies. I will need to research more but I believe with the users with all sorts of device viewports that as a developer I can not determine ahead of time what will look best on their devices.

So my thinking is that any site must be prepared to meet the needs of the users device without limits placed by me. Ensure that any image needed is available as used by wordpress automatically or a theme.

Now maybe that is not possible but squarespace is certainly making the attempt to address any device viewport. That is why I was asking for help on the topic to see if they are indeed doing what is really needed.

This all was triggered by a commercial printer client. As you know they deal with very high end images. What I need to do is have their site images and videos look absolutely beautiful no matter what device or size of screen. Especially the large retina and 4k sizes to match up with those large graphic designer creative stations.

This is a marketing site to the world but must be approved by those graphic designer cats. So I am stuck with creating best images possible. But like I said above at this stage in web 2, 3,4 or infinity I really believe the images need to be available for any viewport on any site.

I am striving to understand how to do this and do it well.

Thank you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.